BEWARE WA9KMB KURT HENLINE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kpluff

BEWARE WA9KMB KURT HENLINE

Post by kpluff »

Here is what Kurt's add read:

Kenwood TS-430S in excellent condition. This radio has no marks of any kind on it, and works as good as the day it came out of the box! I do not believe you will ever find one this nice. Covers HF bands 10 -160 and puts out 100 watts. All mode operation, dual digital VFO's, Eight memory channels, memory scan, programmable band scan, automatic antenna tuner control, IF shift, tunable notch filter, speech processor, all solid state, noise blanker, RF ATT, Vox, and built in squelch circuit. Includes owners manual and power cord. I can be reached at 715-560-0390 or here, via email. Price $385.00 plus actual shipping and insurance. Thank you.

Here is what I got. The radio reeked of electronics burn smell. I thought well maybe the radio was repaired so I powered it up and within two minutes the smell became stronger so I turned it off. Here is what I found in the two minutes I had it on. The "S" meter was inoperative. The cabinet was painted and was not original. May I say who ever painted the cabinet did a very poor job. The top of the face plate was even spray painted. THe AGC circuit was inoperable. The AM mode was inoperable. There was a carrier present in the SSB mode on transmit. I can not tell what else was wrong with the unit because I powered it off after the first two minutes for fear the radio could start on fire.

I was looking for a TS 430 that was described in Kurt's add. TS 430's in excellent condition are hard to find, so I traded my Icom 706 mark II for this rig.
I asked Kurt for my radio back. In a trade both parties usually ship the same day. I shipped my radio the day after the deal was made. He shipped his radio 8 days later. When I asked him for the radio back. He said he had no need for it and already sold it. So I told him I would take the money. He quoted " Now I am getting mad" I told him the cabinet was spray painted and the radio was not like new out of the box. He said, "I thought it was original paint". I guess he forgot that he had a whole shack full of Kenwood radios at one time and did not notice the radio was even a close match. I expressed to him that I buy radios on QTH becasue I am doing business with fellow hams. I did not expect an Ebay deal. Well I never heard from Kurt again. I guess he is busy hamming it up with his pristine IC-706 Mark II while I sit and stare at my broken down, burned up Kenwood TS 430. I will never do business with him again!!!!
kw0o

DISHONESTY

Post by kw0o »

MORE AND MORE WE SEE THIS KIND OF DISHONESTY WITHIN OUR RANKS.
There is no place in Amateur Radio for this type of behavior.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
de kw0o kn
K4ICL

Here is WA9KMB's description of himself from QRZ.com

Post by K4ICL »

Here is WA9KMB's description of himself from QRZ.com
My heritage in the amateur radio family goes back to my dad. His original call was wn9kmb. Shortly after getting his novice call he upgraded to general class and became wa9kmb. That was back in 1964. I was 12 years old at the time. My dad was an avid ham for many years. After his years of wishing I would become I ham, I finally did in 1993. My youngest of three sons, Jeff and I got our tickets! I was now kb9iqj and Jeff was kb9iqk. So time passed as I raised my a family, my dad went to be with the lord, and I decided to get back into the hobby. I upgraded to general and then extra. I thought what a tribute to my dad, to take his call under the vanity program. Hence..........I am now wa9kmb. My only brother, Phil, got his ticket after which I promised him our dad's old Kenwood ts-520s as an incentive. So now he is "wa9kfb". Of course, he got that call under the vanity program as well. The "kfb" stands for "kurts favorite brother". You would have to know our family to appreciate our humor!! I seem to change gear as fast as I change underwear, so I will not go into detail as to what I use. My favorite line of equipment is............Kenwood. In my opinion there is no better hobby to be involved in !!! 73's from Wisconsin. Hope to have \\ or have the chance to work you on one of the bands. I usually hang out on 75/80 and 160.
Is this the same ham?

K4ICL
KC8KZY

Post by KC8KZY »

I'm sorry to hear of your trade going bad. If you decide to sell that 430, drop me a line, as I like to tinker around with gear needing TLC. Or, if you are not in a rush, I'd be glad to take a stab at it for you. Again, sorry to hear about this.

Tom KC8KZY
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

I see he has now listed a kenwood MC-50 mic for sale. He claims it is in mint condition.
kjhenline

KPLUFF FEDBACK

Post by kjhenline »

I am responding this the feedback left my Kpluff on the TS-430S he bought from me., The radio I sold and shipped to him was as described. When I took the picture in the listing it was on and I was using it. No smoke coming out of it as you would se in the picture. All controls worked as described. I sell a lot of equipment here and on ebay. I have a perfect record. Check me out on ebay at with my user name kjhenline which shows a 100% rating with 594 sales. I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay and had to be held accountable where as he did not. He contacted me asking me if I would trade it. I always do this when trading, unless the trade is listed on the QTH site. He says many things in his feedback such as never hearing from me again, the box reeked of smoke, etc... Those are all lie's as well. The man is either a liar or a complete idiot. Mu guess is both. I do a lot on net controlling all over the bands including The Breakfast club, 160 Everynight net, Teenage net and many others. check into any of them and ask about my reputation and character. Any comments made by hams regarding this feedback, before getting the entire story are to be ASHAMED of themselves. To date that would include NY7Q & KC8KZY
Kurt Henline
KC8KZY

Re: KPLUFF FEDBACK

Post by KC8KZY »

kjhenline wrote:I am responding this the feedback left my Kpluff on the TS-430S he bought from me., The radio I sold and shipped to him was as described. When I took the picture in the listing it was on and I was using it. No smoke coming out of it as you would se in the picture. All controls worked as described. I sell a lot of equipment here and on ebay. I have a perfect record. Check me out on ebay at with my user name kjhenline which shows a 100% rating with 594 sales. I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay and had to be held accountable where as he did not. He contacted me asking me if I would trade it. I always do this when trading, unless the trade is listed on the QTH site. He says many things in his feedback such as never hearing from me again, the box reeked of smoke, etc... Those are all lie's as well. The man is either a liar or a complete idiot. Mu guess is both. I do a lot on net controlling all over the bands including The Breakfast club, 160 Everynight net, Teenage net and many others. check into any of them and ask about my reputation and character. Any comments made by hams regarding this feedback, before getting the entire story are to be ASHAMED of themselves. To date that would include NY7Q & KC8KZY
The only comment made by me was that I was sorry to hear of this situation. I made no judgement on you or him. If reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, go back and read it again. Any time a trade/deal between hams goes sour, it is a sad thing, REGARDLESS of who is at fault. None of what I posted is a cause for me (or anyone else, really) to be ashamed of.

Tom KC8KZY
kw0o

Ashamed

Post by kw0o »

My comments were not pointed toward a person, but as a general statement about a subject that is becoming more common on this website.
I get so sick of hams complaining about hams and their dishonesty.
You dishonest hams should not be a ham, and even more, ashamed.
Liars are just as bad.
Its a good thing this site is not really ham radio.
de kw0o kn
kjhenline

Reply to Stan - N7YQ

Post by kjhenline »

Stan,
I am not dishonest. I do not appreciate your comments when you were not involved in this transaction and have no idea about what went on here other than the line of crap that Kpluff handed out. I would think that a ham of your heritage would have a little more common sense to make comments and call me a LIAR when you do not even know the entire story. Perhaps you like to see you thoughts on line. The IDIOT who purchased the TS-430S from me either wrecked it because he did not know what he was doing, or is suffering from regret of making the deal. He commented that I was probably enjoying the Icom 706MKII he traded me, when in fact I TOLD him that I had sold it as soon as I got it. Remember, I did not initiate the trade and only took the Icom 706MKII in trade to move my radio with the intention of selling it. Do me and all other hams a big favor and keep your uninformed comments to yourself. You have surely shown the entire Ham community what a fool you are.

73's,
WA(KMB
Kurt Henline

P.S. To the other Ham that commented on the negative comments by Kpluff I apologize for including your call in my comment about being ashamed. I should not have done that to you. I will track you down and talk to you in person as well.
Kurt Henline
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

kjhenline wrote:I am responding this the feedback left my Kpluff on the TS-430S he bought from me., The radio I sold and shipped to him was as described. When I took the picture in the listing it was on and I was using it. No smoke coming out of it as you would se in the picture. All controls worked as described. I sell a lot of equipment here and on ebay. I have a perfect record. Check me out on ebay at with my user name kjhenline which shows a 100% rating with 594 sales. I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay and had to be held accountable where as he did not. He contacted me asking me if I would trade it. I always do this when trading, unless the trade is listed on the QTH site. He says many things in his feedback such as never hearing from me again, the box reeked of smoke, etc... Those are all lie's as well. The man is either a liar or a complete idiot. Mu guess is both. I do a lot on net controlling all over the bands including The Breakfast club, 160 Everynight net, Teenage net and many others. check into any of them and ask about my reputation and character. Any comments made by hams regarding this feedback, before getting the entire story are to be ASHAMED of themselves. To date that would include NY7Q & KC8KZY
Just out of curiosity, why would you list it on QTH at the same time you have it listed on ebay? i guess this gives a new meaning to "sell to the highest bidder". :?
kw0o

kpluff

Post by kw0o »

needs to provide an explanation of his comments.
Proof is a better word for him to use.
I am still sick and tired of the crooks, dishonest , and liar hams that are amongst our ranks. my comments are not pointed to any one person.
I have lost money on purchases on this site, but never post anything.
I stopped buying years ago from this site.
de kw0o kn
kjhenline

N7YQ

Post by kjhenline »

Well Stan,
You sure did not surprise me by more brilliant statements.

73's
Kurt Henline
Kurt Henline
hamradman

Post by hamradman »

Look at the feed back forum items dated 2/28/09. Kurt has flooded it with thank you messages for people who he says bought from him. I don't see these people saying anything about him or what he sold them.
Could these all be fake to make himself look good?
Why post them now?
kjhenline

HAMRADMAN

Post by kjhenline »

Here we go again. Another great example of someone making statements that he knows nothing about. Every feedback listed is an REAL. If you would have taken some of your TIME to check with any or all of the Hams I left feedback for, you would have found out that they are all REAL SALES !! To address your comment about "AM I listing/leaving a bunch of feedback to MAKE myself look good, you are correct. I want the Ham community to know that I am NOT DISHONEST. Please refrain from any further comments about me or my dealings unless you make good use of your time and find out the facts! If you have to run at the face, have the guts to sign your name and call to your comments!!

73's

Kurt Henline
Kurt Henline
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

hamradman wrote:Look at the feed back forum items dated 2/28/09.
Why post them now?
Either he has made a lot of deals yesterday and today, or he is trolling for positive feedback from earlier sales. Geez, I wonder which one it is?
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Update profile

Post by KA9FOX »

TO K9XR: Mail through our system here, to your sbcglobal address, is bouncing. Please update your profile with your correct e-mail address, and sent me a message when it's done (then I'll remove this notice)

- Scott
W9DMW-2

"How did it get this far"?.

Post by W9DMW-2 »

Kurt, I to have be a victim of rasch and unjustified negative comments and feedback's. I have no personal interests here, Yet I find it hard to believe that a person who has sold so much and has completed so many deals would all of a sudden pull this off. Just makes no sense to me. I'm not judging any one side here, I'm just looking at what I see. I wonder why it took you so long to post these good sales !!!!, I understand you wanting to show your integrity and honesty, that is commendable, And should be posted right away, To let others know that the person you were dealing with, Was also happy with you transaction. I see no such post from them, Or Have i missed that part. Again, No side taking here, And I understand your quest to save your good name. I would do the same if I were wronged and have done so.
I would just like to say, There has been more scamming and bad deals, more now than I have ever seen in my 30 years as a Ham Radio operator, What a shame that others would knowingly screw a fellow brother ham, I'm not saying that things do not happen in shipping, or forgotten, But try to make things right, It is just the honorable way to do things. I wish I could say all my dealings have been 100%, I cannot. But at least I tried to make them so.
I am sorry for ranting on here, But I am seeing this more and more, Just never use to be this way.
*** MEN HONOR THERE WORD.*** That's "PRICELESS".
TNX, DON W9DMW
N9LCD

"I'M SEEING THIS MORE AND MORE..."

Post by N9LCD »

As for me, I'm not.

The fests and expos in the 80's and 90's were just as bad if not worst than on-line dealing. A lie is a lie, but lying to somebody's face when the rig is there between the two takes a heck of a lot more testicles than lying to somebody you miles away.

Some of the all-time classics from the fest & expo circuit:

A hunk of rust, resembling a BC-348, purportedly removed from the U.S.S. Arizona AFTER it sunk!

A National rig purportedly used by Harry Hopkins in the White House to monitor news from the war fronts!

An R-388/URR retagged as its civilian counterpart.

Glossy black 6AG7's that look like they were sprayed with Rustoleum.

I DO NOT condone fraud, cheating or lying but:

BUYER BEWARE!

IF SOMEBODY WANTS, BAD ENOUGH, TO CHEAT YOU AND TRIES HARD ENOUGH, HE'LL GET YOU. MADOFF IS A PRIME EXAMPLE!

N9LCD
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

I'm curious as well why the radio was listed on eBay at the same time. And to all the hams who "purchased" gear from Kurt, lets hear your side of the story. At this point it all sounds a little one sided.
kjhenline

EBAY LISTING!!

Post by kjhenline »

WHO TOLD YOU, OR ANYBODY FOR THAT MATTER THAT THIS WAS LISTED ON EBAY??? I SAID THAT I SELL ON EBAY AND HAVE A 100%, THAT'S RIGHT 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK WITH 594 TOTAL FEEDBACKS LEFT TO DATE. NOW IF YOU DO NOT KNOW MUCH ABOUT EBAY I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS MEANS, I DO NOT SCREW, CHEAT, ETC ANYONE!! DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE MAKING COMMENTS! I LEFT IN ONE OF MY REPLIES MY EBAY USER NAME AND HERE IT IS AGAIN!.... KJHENLINE... I AM ALL FINISHED MAKING REPLIES OVER THIS MATTER. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

KURT HENLINE
WA9KMB
Kurt Henline
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

kjhenline wrote: I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay and had to be held accountable where as he did not.

Sounds like you had it listed on eBay to me.

Gosh Kurt...sounds like you are getting a little defensive.Read your own quote from your first reply. Sounds to me like you had it listed on eBay, doesn't it, or was this misleading as well?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Was going to stay out of this as i did not personally feel it was nothing more than a misunderstandment but i now am in a quandry as Kurt you most certainly did say in your initial response that your radio was on E Bay.....And i copied your words......> I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay <
Larry Huff K0pd
W9DMW-2

Post by W9DMW-2 »

Kurt,
Again not taking sides here, But read your own Quote. It clearly states that you had it listed on Ebay and were held accountable. Your own words...
Personally I think you should come to some sort of agreement with this person, Work it out like men, I'm sure you both can reach some common ground. Just my thoughts on it, I have to agree with Larry, It was so stated.

"GOD Bless you both", Work it out.

Don W9DMW

kjhenline wrote:I am responding this the feedback left my Kpluff on the TS-430S he bought from me., The radio I sold and shipped to him was as described. When I took the picture in the listing it was on and I was using it. No smoke coming out of it as you would se in the picture. All controls worked as described. I sell a lot of equipment here and on ebay. I have a perfect record. Check me out on ebay at with my user name kjhenline which shows a 100% rating with 594 sales." I had him ship his radio first and then I shipped mine as I had mine listed on ebay and had to be held accountable where as he did not. " He contacted me asking me if I would trade it. I always do this when trading, unless the trade is listed on the QTH site. He says many things in his feedback such as never hearing from me again, the box reeked of smoke, etc... Those are all lie's as well. The man is either a liar or a complete idiot. Mu guess is both. I do a lot on net controlling all over the bands including The Breakfast club, 160 Everynight net, Teenage net and many others. check into any of them and ask about my reputation and character. Any comments made by hams regarding this feedback, before getting the entire story are to be ASHAMED of themselves. To date that would include NY7Q & KC8KZY
KJ4JAJ

Post by KJ4JAJ »

I just want to say I recently bought a radio from Kurt WA9KMB and it was exactly as described and it works perfectly. Our dealings were exemplary. Good communication, fast shipping and now I have a great working radio at a good price.

Jim - KJ4JAJ