KO7N Dishonest trader Beware!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kc0cf

Post by kc0cf »

Ok, I have waited nearly a year to post this negative feedback before tarnishing the reputation of a fellow human being and a Ham. I did not want to be accused of not giving him time to respond and have all this turned on me making me the bad guy for being inpatient. Here is the post of Mr. Dick Ewing KO7N last February: :twisted:

For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 650107
Date Ad was Placed: 02/28/08
Name: Richard Ewing
Phone Number: 541912.7762
Callsign: KO7N
Category: ROTATORS
Heading: FOR SALE: HyGain T2X rotor system
Ad Message:
FOR SALE: Hygain T2X Rotator System
Hy-Gain T-2X rotor and contol box for sale, $330 includes shipping to 48 more to anywhere else, can ship international. Did internal inspection and is in excellent mechanical condx and lubed with the special low temperature grease, good to -30degrees F +/-. Rotor is brand new. Just look at picture.
Dick KO7N 541.912.7762 or 541.935.0548 or leave a message

I called and made the deal with Dick, he was very friendly and said the rotor was "like new" except for a burn on the plastic cover top where he installed a 12v bulb rather than a 24v and disfigured the plastic cover in a small area. He agreed to send via UPS or FED-X the next day after he got my money order.

I sent "DICK" a postal money order the next day. 3 1/2 weeks passed, after numerous emails sent and ignored, messages and voice mails sent and ignored, then finally I get this very cryptic email cut and pasted below.

Mike,

Here is the receipt of sending unit. It went out several DAYS LATER THAN
I MENTIONED AS i HAD A FRIEND SHIP IT FOR ME AND MHE WAS LATE. MY MOM IS
NEAR DEATH.

\SORRY :roll:

After that email was sent to me The rotor got here 5 days later Via US mail, the rotor and control box were floating around in a big box filled with packing peanuts, the box bulging at its seams flattened on top and on the sides with packing material coming out at every open gap in the box, loose packing tape gapping open at every seam, it was a miracle the tailtwisters black plastic rotor box and meter face were not cracked and broken being tossed around inside with nothing protecting it from that heavy rotor. It was a good thing its destination was Iowa and not Ohio, the condition of the box was so bad it would have never made it across the Mississippi river without breaking apart and spilling the contents.

When I hooked up a control cable between the rotor and control box it traveled 1/3 the way and quit. I called Dick and left messages on his voice mail and answering machine with my dissatisfaction but was ignored again. More emails were sent and ignored and after a couple more weeks, Dick closed his HOTMAIL account and his Teleport account the emails came back to me user account closed.

I had to face the fact it was going to be up to me to get the rotor fixed or my VHF array would not be turning my antennas in April for the onset of Spring E-skip. After getting a price quote from a well known HAM rotor repair center I knew I had to find a better cheaper way. I did some inquiries on a local repeater and was given the name and number of an old-timer 50 miles away who knew his way around CDE rotors and knew how to repair them.

I drove the rotor over to him and he offered to fix it on the spot while I watched.
Removing the housing was easy as the bolts were loose, not torqued down tight like you would expect, and when he opened it up in front of me I saw a broken ring gear, rusted ball bearings on all 3 races, and flakey dried powder which I was told use to be grease. Water had made it's way with the insides of this rotor. The bearings were replaced and ring gear replaced with a used one. The solenoid that controls the brake had a lot of slop in it, but still seemed to engage the wedge like it was suppose to. This old guy had never had a T2x apart before, but he was fairly sure that they were all about the same on the inside and it should work ok for me.
I spent $125.00 for the repair to the rotor which I was told later was more than fair pricing. I have called DICK KO7N and left messages asking for satisfaction but am ignored to this day.
I have been trading here for several years, this is the first time I have been lied to and cheated in this way by a fellow ham. It is my hope and intent that after informing the ham community about my experience dealing with KO7N Richard Ewing he will not get the chance to do the same to you! :x
kc0cf

Update of KO7N He is BACK

Post by kc0cf »

Ok, I saw a ad Richard was posting a wanted Rohn 45G on QTH Tuesday , so it seems Richard thinks enoungh time has passed that all is forgotten and forgiven. I sent him a reply to his request for Rohn 45G tower and reminded him he owed me an explination and a refund, he reduced hiself to 4 letter "f: words. I find all this very intresting because this is the first email from Richard I have recieved since he sold this broken T2x to me. Here is the body of the text of Richards KO7N reply to me.

I sent you a 100% working product as I tested it before shipping.

So listen up, THIS WILL BE YOUR FINAL NOTICE. Further harassment has CONSEQUENCES.

Have a VERY MERRY XMAS f**k UP...

So I am the "F" up ? Merry Christmas to you "Dick" I just wanted the community to see what sort of low life this guy is and remains to be to this day.

Michael KC0CF :roll:
K4BOF

Post by K4BOF »

Very disappointed to have read your experiences with this transaction Mike. You and I have done business before (you being the Seller) and everything went very well with it. I am hopeful that there will be some type of resolution for you. You have great feedback, are a fair / honest trader and kind person,...it is a shame you were taken in this way. 73 Bruce K4BOF
kc0cf

Post by kc0cf »

Bruce,

Thanks for your input, it's sad to know that Dick feels his fellow hams are fair targets for his coruption. Here is a email I got this morning about someone that has known "Dick" for sometime. 73's happy and carefull trading.

I saw your post on Dick Ewing. Your right, he is scum. His biggest thing is ripping off insurance company's. He likes to stage a fake rip off of his ham gear then after the insurance pays off he will sell the gear. I was working, back in the 80's, with someone that knew him from high school. This person I worked with told me that one night, late, they were driving around and saw Dick removing the rear end out of his own car. Later Dick reported that rear end stolen and got an insurance payment. A the time I didn't believe it but later when he pulled the rip off of ham equipment insurance trip (twice), I broke the friendship and made it clear I thought he was scum.

Just to let you know your post is well founded.

Ken Rea
Ken Rea ken@pcez.com
:roll:
KC8KZY

Post by KC8KZY »

KC0CF,

You need to have Scott delete the post above this. That post can get you in legal trouble, and you really don't need that kind of hassle, not to mention that the person who sent you the email most likely did it in confidence. If he gave you permission to reproduce it, you should indicate that in your posting. Just my $.02 worth.

Happy New Year!

Tom
kc0cf

2 Cents

Post by kc0cf »

Thanks for your 2 cents Tom. Happy New Year! :lol: