1 LUCKY buyer GOT THE DEAL OF THE YEAR... I THINK...

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.

Is it fair to take advantage of a sk's estate sale?

yes, always
19%
no, never
69%
well, ya sometimes
13%

Total votes: 16

ne6v

1 LUCKY buyer GOT THE DEAL OF THE YEAR... I THINK...

Post by ne6v »

Hello to all,
First off it wasn't me. Someone out there got the DEAL OF THE YEAR!! This ad says it ALL:

FOR SALE: Yaesu FT 2000 + extras
SALE PENDING! $1,200. Comes with mic, manual, triple box, "bug" type key. Bought new just two months ago at HRO in Tigard, OR. From estate. Offered by non-ham next of kin. Would be willing to sell at same time: Ameritron AL-811H linear amp (w/ 4 extra tubes), Ameritron AMP-XCVR Relay Box, MFJ balanced line tuner, MFJ HF/VHF SWR analyzer, MFJ Deluxe Versa Tuner II. $2,000 takes all six pieces. Would prefer a cash local sale in the Portland, Oregon area.

Of course, at 2,000 it was a GREAT DEAL but at 1200.00 ITS ALMOST stealing!! I like the rest of you enjoy a good deal. But this is from a now SK's estate, and who knows what the financial condition is of that family. Would the buyer of it not make back his money when he sells it, if he would have paid the 2000.00?
Of course I don't know the condition and etc, perhaps it was all hit by lightening and thus worth 1200, but the ad reads BOUGHT 2 mos ago, and from estate. So I suspect the "next of kin" didn't know what he was selling or the value of it.
For any one thats thinking I'am a hatter.Wrong its not that, its just KARMA, and right and wrong. 2000.00 was a GREAT price if all is as stated, working all but new etc, I just think that 800.00 discount the buyer had to ask for was just not cool. Maybe I'am stupid, I don't know, but at a time of grief, I feel its wrong to take advantage of the situtation. Yes I would have paid the 2000.00, in fact I very seldom try to reduce what I feel is an already good price.
When I die my family better know how much to get for this stuff and if any of guys try to low ball them I WILL HAUNT YOU FOREVER!! :x
73 to all
NE6V
joe

DON'T FORGET TO READ AND ANSWER THE POLL QUESTION.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

MORALLY, ETHICALLY and LEGALLY, it is the SELLER'S RESPONSIBILITY to know WHAT he or she is SELLING and WHAT'S its VALUE.

The only exception is a SELLER who has been JUDGED "LEGALLY UNABLE" to manage his or her affairs, in other words, LEGALLY INCOMPETENT!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY THE SELLER ALLOWED A $800 DISCOUNT?
That would help!

In LAW, MORAL, and ETHICS, there's no "BLACK and WHITE", just a BILLION SHADES OF GRAY!

JERRY

N9LCD
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

sounds to good to be true :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
KS4ED

Post by KS4ED »

Believe me... selling estate equipment for the widow of an SK can often
put you in a situation where you end up wishing you weren't.

I know of one scenario where the widow of the SK loved him very much
but hated Ham Radio. Shortly after the SK's passing the widow told his
Ham Radio friend, "Sell it all at a price that will get it gone. Quickly!"
The Ham friend bought some of it himself but did sell the rest of it at
prices that were well below their real values. And... he encountered
"suspicion" which had him answering numerous questions and a few
untrue accusations.

Buying equipment from someone selling it for the widow of an SK is a
different situation than a normal sale. It can be risky because often there
is no recourse once the widow has the money, the person selling for the
widow may have instructions "get rid of it!" and he's just the guy in the
middle and doesn't deserve being suspect of anything.

My suggestion is to remember an estate sale is different than a regular
sale. The seller may have instructions or doesn't have a clue. If the price
is so low it makes you suspicious... don't! Roll to the next ad.
kw0o

SK SALES

Post by kw0o »

When I go, my wife knows she is to GIVE AWAY EVERYTHING I HAVE TO MY HAM FRIEND who has stood by me in ham radio and my sickness.
What he does with it, is his business from then on.
de kw0o kn
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I really do not think i'll give a hoot and a holler what happens to my Ham gear once i've gone on to that big Radio in the Sky..
Larry Huff K0pd
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

I will type up a list of my equipment, describing what the item is, condition, and what price is the most reasonable selling price that will most likely result in a sale of my equipment. I will also have pic's of my equipment already on the computer to assist in the selling. It will also include what sites that the item could be sold on. The work will already be done, and my family won't be lost as to what my equipment is worth.
Just because I might be gone, doesn't mean my family has to give away my equipment due to being uninformed as to equipment value, and the extra money will help with expenses. There won't be any vultures hovering around after my passing. 73
ne6v

HELLO TO ALL

Post by ne6v »

There sure are some very interesting responses.I feel the one response that best fits my beliefs is N8QBY, I agree with him 100%. I want my family to have whats right, and I know they will need the $$$. Thank you everyone for :lol: responding and I really appricate, N8QBY for being honest and to the point.
:D
Happy holidays to all,
and
de
NE6V