BEWARE of Arthur Harris, KI6SXN - SCAM ARTIST

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
cw-man

BEWARE of Arthur Harris, KI6SXN - SCAM ARTIST

Post by cw-man »

I am a long time seller on eBay under the name of CW-MAN. This person, Arthur Harris, KI6SXN purchased a used, untested PLL board for a TS-180S I had listed and paid for it through Paypal with another credit card he had linked to his Paypal account. The item was delivered to him on October 6th. Today, October 7th I received notification from Paypal that HIS credit card company had reversed the transaction which means they refunded him his money and left me with NO MONEY and NO PART. This guy is a scam artist and I would advise anyone and everyone from having any dealings with him. The amount I lost was only $35.00 but it could have easily been much more. Mr. Harris goes by the user name of CALDONIA.818 on eBay with an address of:

7951 Foothill Blvd.
Sunland, CA. 91040

Of course he refuses to answer any emails I have sent him regarding this matter nor has he bothered to contact me about a problem with the board (which was listed as-is, untested) in the first place.
--
Tim, K8TJ
K8TJ@COMCAST.NET
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

I have dealt with Tim on MANY occasions at Ham Fests and on-line. He is a stand-up guy - based on my transactions both selling and buying. He is willing to work with you if something is wrong and I would not hesitate buying from or selling to Tim.

I am sorry to hear you were taken. At least it was not much - but the sting is not lessened by that fact.

D
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I too have bought from Tim and always found him as a very fair and honest person to deal with. Example i bougt a amp line from tim and it turned out i already had the same and he not only took it back but sent me one for another radio i had with no added charges.Shame on Mr.Harris for his actions.
Larry Huff K0pd
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

Did the item you sold him not work? Maybe he tried it and it was NG and that is why he got his money back. Selling items in unknow condition is risky. No one wants to buy something, pay good money and be stuck with a piece of junk. At any rate he should return the item to you. If anyone sells an item in unknown condition and it turns out to be bad, they can't get away with "sticking" someone with junk. People will often "take a chance" on a hard to find item that is of unknow condition, but the seller should understand that if "in fact" it turns out to be no good, a refund is in order.
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Are you serious? It was purchased knowing it could be good or it could be bad - but it was explicitly sold as 'condition unknown'. You take your chances. You knew that the item may or may not work.

No offense - but that silly to think that a seller who declares all known issues with a product and sells it as-is should pay-up when someone BUYS IT under that knowledge! I am often surprised by those who feel if you sell an item as-is and operationally unknown are somehow obligated to refund the purchase if it indeed turns out to be defective. You bought it knowing it could work, maybe not.

I just do not understand the way things work today. Personal responsibility? It was purchased as-is and it was accurately described. The buyer initiates a charge-back and the seller is out the item and the money. He took his chances with the item and then bailed on the purchase. He basically stole the item and listing fees from the seller. I would like to say I am surprised - but I am not.

It appears as though no BUYER communication was offered and the timing of the charge back would lead me to believe this was orchestrated based on the date the charge-back was issues and when the item was received. What do I know, right?

Unbelievable - how would ANYONE think this man is owed a refund on an item that was clearly described and accurately listed? He took a shot...and he knew that. A pig in a poke, they say.

D
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

KF9Z, My take on selling items in "unkonwn condition" is, that the item "should" be priced as if it is no good. This way if the buyer discovers it is in fact no good he is not out a lot of money. On the other hand the seller , if he wants to make an honest amount of money on the item "if " it is good, he should then offer a refund if it is bad. This way he can get more money for the item if it is good. If the item is bad, the buyer should NOT be stuck with your junk for a higher price. I am sure that a lot of stuff gets sold that the seller says " unknown condition" and really knows it's bad, and is just looking to pawn it off. If I own a piece of junk I should not try to slip it off for anyhting but junk. If I want a higher price for it, I'll tell you pay me this amount, if it's bad I will take it back or adjust the price accordingly. No one should be getting screwed, neither the buyer or the seller. If you don't see it that way then I guess you condon someone getting screwed out of thier money. This is ham radio no Las Vegas.
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

W1QJ wrote:KF9Z, My take on selling items in "unkonwn condition" is, that the item "should" be priced as if it is no good. This way if the buyer discovers it is in fact no good he is not out a lot of money. On the other hand the seller , if he wants to make an honest amount of money on the item "if " it is good, he should then offer a refund if it is bad. This way he can get more money for the item if it is good. If the item is bad, the buyer should NOT be stuck with your junk for a higher price. I am sure that a lot of stuff gets sold that the seller says " unknown condition" and really knows it's bad, and is just looking to pawn it off. If I own a piece of junk I should not try to slip it off for anyhting but junk. If I want a higher price for it, I'll tell you pay me this amount, if it's bad I will take it back or adjust the price accordingly. No one should be getting screwed, neither the buyer or the seller. If you don't see it that way then I guess you condon someone getting screwed out of thier money. This is ham radio no Las Vegas.
I understand your point about someone selling a known bad item as 'condition unknown' - but that is not Tim. This was an auction and people paid what they felt it was worth knowing everything in the listing . The blame falls squarely on the buyer, and not Tim - the seller. He listed the condition as unknown as he most likely had no way to test the PLL board for a TS-180. The buyer took his chances and paid a relatively small amount with the understand it MAY work or it may not and it was sold in UNTESTED condition. No refund should even be considered as all was clearly laid out in the listing.

I do see your point - but in this case the buyer seems a bit 'off' by initiating a charge back before even receiving the item as it takes several days to get the process started let alone granted. As for the item being priced one way or another - this was an auction and knowing it was untested the MARKET set the price and the buyer paid the price HE felt comfortable with KNOWING it was untested and may not work. I think the price was fair given what he knew. He now has Tim's PLL board AND Tim is out the money. I know Tim and I find him to be an honest fellow in my dealings with him - and if said it happened the way it did I would tend to believe that - based on my experiences with him.

Either-way - no contact was made from the buyer to the seller and the buyer now has a 'fee' PLL board and his money back while Tim is out the cash and the board. Where is the justice in that?

D