WB7RBN equipment age misrepresented

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4JZY

WB7RBN equipment age misrepresented

Post by N4JZY »

WB7RBN

I ran an add on QTH around 8-24.
The add was titled: Wanted Argonaut V
It red that I was looking for an Argonaut V with the TCXO, boxes, paperwork, etc.

I recived a response from Jim Seay WB7RBN stating the below.

Dear Randy Pence N4JZY,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "Wanted Argonaut V", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

The response is from:

Name: Jim
Callsign: WB7RBN
E-mail: wb7rbn@hotmail.com

The response is:

I have one that is 5 months old. Like new. Latest model which does not require the fan. Has the TXCO which as standard. Version 1.08 software. Hand mic, power cord, manual and original boxes. Includes PSK cord that plugs into the rear. Mainly used for listening and an ocassional PSK contact. I live in a town house so I am antenna restricted. I'm a non-smoker. $750.

Jim

I purchased the radio splitting the shipping with Jim paying a very high price thinking I was getting a 5 month old radio presumable from the original owner.

As I unpacked the box I thought it looked strange that the TenTec box had as much packing tape on it as it did.

The original shipping label from TenTec that had been mostly torn off to hide the original recipients name had a shipping date on it of 10-07.

My issues with the deal are:

1 It is just short of being one-year-old not 5 months old.
2 Jim Saey was not the original owner.

If you purchase from Jim Saey I would be very specific when questioning about items being sold as I should have been.

Randy Pence
N4JZY
Dr. James M. Seay

Reponse to N4JZY

Post by Dr. James M. Seay »

N4JZY

Before posting on the QTH.com Feedback Forum Mr. Pence sent me an email saying: “I think I will run this on the feedback forum”. To which I responded: “I never looked at the label. The guy I got it from said it was a month old. In fact here is the ad on eHam from which I bought it.”

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/257970

Mr. Pence assumed I was the original owner. There is no such statement in my email saying I am the original owner and at no time during our email exchanges did I say or indicate that I was the original owner. That was his assumption. As for as being 5 months old I took John, WX4O at his word in his ad on eHam when I bought the radio. Apparently Mr. Pence is also saying John misrepresented the radio in his ad.

Apparently the age of a radio is more important to Mr. Pence than it’s condition. If that is the case he should purchase new equipment instead of used equipment.

If Mr. Pence is going to post such slander on QTH.com he should stick to the facts and tell the whole story. Apparently Mr. Pence did not read the Sticky About Using this forum which states: “Remember, whatever you write can be used as evidence in a court of law should the person or persons involved in the issue take legal action against you”.

In addition have the courtesy to spell the persons name correctly. My last name “SEAY” no SAEY. In fact it is Dr. Seay to you Mr. Pence.

Dr. James M. Seay. PhD
John1944

Argonaut V Sale

Post by John1944 »

The Argonaut V that I sold to Jim was in perfect condition.
The only way you could try to name a date of manufacture is to have checked with Ten-Tec, which I doubt that you did. I never knew the date of manufacture because it didn't matter to me. The radio was brand new when I purchased it, delivered in a brand new, unopened Ten-Tec box direct from Ten-Tec in Sevierville. Don't slander Jim or me again. The law doesn't like that. Neither do we.
N4JZY

Response from John/WX4O

Post by N4JZY »

John Tidball wrote:
>
> You are completely out of line, and you will take back your nasty statements.
>
> 1 – The only age you could know about is the date of manufacture. That has *nothing to do* with the ‘owned age’ of of the perfect radio I sold to Jim, WB7RBN.
>
> 2 – If you don’t correct your stupid blog against Jim, I will publicize your idiocy everywhere.
>
> I didn’t lie to him, and he didn’t lie to you. The Argo V was undoubtedly in perfect condition when YOU received it also.
>
> Don’t be an ass. You make me sick.
>
> John/WX4O
Dr. James M. Seay

Follow Up

I received an email form John, WX4O, with the exact date he purchased the TenTec Argonaut V as 2/29/08. Guessing that by the time it was shipped and the delivery transit time, it was probably a week before he received it. So when John advertized the radio on eHam it was a month old. By the time John and I made our deal and the radio was shipped to me at least a couple of weeks transpired. So the 5 months comes from the 1 month on the ad plus the 4 months I owed the radio. Actual time is closer to 6 months but that is neither here nor there. Does one month older affect the radio's condition. I don't think so. The radio was in imaculate condition when I received it from John and was in the same condition when I shipped it to you Mr. Pence so I know that is not issue .

I'll take the responsibility for the discripency in the age different of one month due to ignorance on the actual purchase date however I think you, Mr.Pence owe John, WX40, an apology for calling him a liar. Mr. Pence, you have made a big deal over nothing. Be a man Mr. Pence an apologize to John, WX40.

Dr. James M. Seay
WB7RBN
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

I am SICK of this crap where people run to the same, tired line of 'the courts do not take kindly to to xyz... and blah, blah, blah'. He does NOT owe anyone an apology. You could have just as easily looked at the label instead you chose to 'guess' at the age or represent the age as the time you owned the radio and not the actual age of the radio - per you OWN postings! If you advertise it as one thing and it shows up as something different - even the age (as petty as that is) then you must take responsibility for that, Doctor, or is is Dr.?

I think the age issue is a bit petty but NO apology is needed and your silly response the you were somehow slandered is preposterous and laughable to say the least! He stated a FACT that can EASILY be verified based on the Ten Tec label! It was 1-year old and not the age you represented the rig to be. Petty as that might be - it is a FACT and no liable or slander occurred (but then again, I only took one law class in college - so a lawyer that does not make). Check with a lawyer before you spout-off threats and try to intimidate the OP with legal action...not even Ron Knoski would touch that - or even take your call based on the OP.

D
kf9z

Re: Follow Up

Post by kf9z »

Dr. James M. Seay wrote:I received an email form John, WX4O, with the exact date he purchased the TenTec Argonaut V as 2/29/08. Guessing that by the time it was shipped and the delivery transit time, it was probably a week before he received it. So when John advertized the radio on eHam it was a month old. By the time John and I made our deal and the radio was shipped to me at least a couple of weeks transpired. So the 5 months comes from the 1 month on the ad plus the 4 months I owed the radio. Actual time is closer to 6 months but that is neither here nor there. Does one month older affect the radio's condition. I don't think so. The radio was in imaculate condition when I received it from John and was in the same condition when I shipped it to you Mr. Pence so I know that is not issue .

I'll take the responsibility for the discripency in the age different of one month due to ignorance on the actual purchase date however I think you, Mr.Pence owe John, WX40, an apology for calling him a liar. Mr. Pence, you have made a big deal over nothing. Be a man Mr. Pence an apologize to John, WX40.

Dr. James M. Seay
WB7RBN
So why does the label show 10-07 and not 02-08? That is an interesting question, no? I am not sure why I even bother as it is not worth the pissing match this will bring. The fact is simple - you made a mistake and were called out for it - I suspect you did not like that so you went on the defensive. That is never a good thing when it looks as though you were in the wrong. Why do you feel you are owed an apology exactly? You were incorrect as to the date and a premium was paid for an item based on the age YOU represented it as. It is as simple as that.

D
Dr. James M. Seay

KF9Z

Apparently you can't read. I took responsibilty for not knowing the exact date the radio was purchased however the original owner John, WX4O sure does. Nobody was treatened and I didn't ask for an apology for myselt but for John, WX4O. So now are you saying John is a liar? As far the label, there was not a label left on the original TenTec box but a apparently little piece of a label. I know what was on the box and so does WX4O, you don't. I elected not to argue with Mr. Pence as to what he claimed to see. Enough said. This crap is getting out of hand.

Yes, Doctor is correct. I do had a PhD.