W1QJ BEWARE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W0AKG

W1QJ BEWARE

Post by W0AKG »

The following Add was posted by W1QJ.
Dear Lou W1QJ,

You have received a response to your ad, titled "EIMAC CPI 3-500Z TUBE", that you have running on the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classified Ads.

The response is from:

Name: Martin Tippin
Callsign: W0AKG
E-mail: mlt67@embarqmail.com

The response is:

Still have it? Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------
For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 679411
Date Ad was Placed: 07/29/08
Name: Lou
Phone Number: 203 312 0055
Callsign: W1QJ
Category: TUBES
Heading: EIMAC CPI 3-500Z TUBE
Ad Message:
Offering a very late date coded EIMAC CPI version 3-500Z tube. This is a 1996 vintage tube which is pretty close to the last of the great Eimac production 3-500 tube when it was also CPI. The tube has been fully tested and is full output with low hours. The glass is cyrstal clear. A good chance to get one of the later version tubes.
Will ship tube CONUS for $140.00 thanks 73 Lou

I purchased the Tube, Piad with Paypal, Received the Tube and not As Described. You could barely see the Eimac Emblem and the last two numbers of the Date code which was --33. Sent him an Email stating he sent the wrong tube and decided to call him. He stated it was the '96 Tube. I asked where it says '96 ? and I quote ( Blow on it and hold it just right in the light and the four numbers will pop right out at you) unQuote. I'm old but not Stupid. It was not as he Stated Late Date Code.
I sent it back and he says no Refund. Refused the package and it's on the way back to me. How Stupid is this.??
In a message dated 8/7/2008 9:05:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mlt67@embarqmail.com writes:
Received the tube today and I think you sent the wrong one, not a mark on it that says anything about 1996?? It' wiped clean and very unhappy for $140.00.
No, I sent the right tube, The date code is 96, maybe you can't see it.

In a message dated 8/7/2008 9:11:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mlt67@embarqmail.com writes:
Finally found a faint date 7933???
Eimac was no CPI in 1979 so that can't be
In a message dated 8/7/2008 9:13:50 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mlt67@embarqmail.com writes:
Hell not a '96 tube, Very pissed for $140.00!!!
Oh, but it is. It's full output and it is a 96 CPI just as I said it is.
Regardless of the lettering??
In a message dated 8/8/2008 8:24:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mlt67@embarqmail.com writes:
You wish, sell it to another Sucker that you said was interested!
Martin, you bought the tube, it is what it is. I said it is a 1996 CPI Eimac full output tube and that is what you bought. I can't help the fact that you can't flip the tube for a profit. DON'T send the tube back because I will NOT issue a refund so you will be out the tube and the money. You have buyers remorse and that is NOT my problem.
I had figured on keeping trhis one with Bright Red Lettering and a Date code you Read,
On too Paypal to file a Complaint. :(
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

A little prelude to him buying this tube may be helpful for those of you in the jury box. A few weeks ago Mr. Tippin advertised on QTH for a 3-400Z tube. I responed indicating I had an Amperex 8163 tube which is elcetrically the same as a 3-400Z. He asked the price, I said $80.00 shipped. It was an old Amperex tube made in Holland. Tube in good conditon and full output. He paid for the tube and I shipped it to him. He indicted he received the tube OK and liked it. A few days later while I was on e-bay I saw the tube he had just bought from me for $80.00 listed on ebay for a "buy it now" price of $125.00. I said to myself "how do you like that". Obviously he did not need that tube for any amplifer project, it was clearly purchased in an attempt to flip it for a profit. I have NO problem with this....I made my money on it. Fast forward a couple of weeks. I put the ad up for the 1996 CPI/EIMAC tube full output. Within a short period of time Mr. Tippin e-mails me saying he wants to buy that tube. In conversation on e-mails he asks if I had any more tubes to sell. Since I did have 2 more 3-500 tubes to sell, I gatherd up the 3 tubes and took a photograph of all 3 tubes, one of them being the CPI/EIMAC that he responed to the ad. The tubes were labled in the photgraph (I will be glad to send anyone a copy of the photograph) He responed to that e-mail indicating he wanted "just the CPI/EIMAC tube" He sent a paypal payment for the asking price. I shipped the tube. When he got the tube he called me on the phone at about 10:30PM and was very nasty to me on the phone. He started off by saying that I did not send him the 1996 CPI/EIMAC tube as advertised. Claimed it was a 1979 tube, I indicated to him that was simply inpossible since CPI bought Eimac in 1995 so the tube could not have a CPI logo on it and be a 1979 tube, it HAD to be 1995 or better. Besides the date code is on the tube and I saw it. The tube clearly has a CPI logo on it though it is faded. The tube was tested by me in an AL-80A amplifier to over 1000 watts output so, #1. The tube is full output as indicated in the ad. #2 The date code is 1996 as it is on the tube and the CPI logo is on it (they bought Eimac in 1995) 3. He recieved a photo of the tube before he bought it. So why does Mr. Tippin want his money back? Becasue he knows he can't flip that tube for a profit. I told Mr. Tippin when he told me he was not stuipid, that I was not stupid either and that had the tube "looked like new" I probaly would have asked more like $250.00 for it like he was going to do. The bottom line is that the tube is what it is...a 1996 full output tube CPI/EIMAC just as I adverised it. Because he can not flip the tube for a porfit and now has buyers remorse, he wants a refund. I am sorry to say but I do not buy items from anyone and want a refund for such a lame excuse. He sent the tube back to me even though I told him not to!!! I think HE is the one that you should be aware of. Think about what he did. Do you want to sell him something and have him take posession of it, decide he don't like the looks of it for some lame reason, and then sends it back to you?? Then to top it off, he will call you at 10:30 PM on the phone,call you a liar, report you to PAYPAL (as he opened up a dspute against me already) and send the item back to you for a refund. Do you want to chance selling anything to him??? SO if anyone wants to see the photo I sent him of the tube, I will be glad to send you a copy of it, and for those of you who know the history of Eimac as Mr. Tippin obviously does not...knows that any tube with a CPI logo is later than 1995 or better. Look anywhere in the achives on QTH, you will not find one negative thing about me, nowever an archive search on Mr. Tippin will turn up a couple of questionable reprts. You guys know I have been on here for years and you won't find a negative report on me, in fact, you will find some nice things said about me. I will be gald to answer any questions the jury might have in this case...respectfully submitted Louis Parascondola W1QJ
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

Lou and I have a history together - A VERY GOOD ONE, I might add.. I've known Lou for 10 years.. I've bought stuff from him, sold stuff to him, heck - even traded stuff with him.. Never- NOT A SINGLE TIME - has anything I've gotten from him been even remotely less than what he described.. I "tinker" with amps all the ime and he is my "go to man" when I need something. He ships to me even before the ink is dry on my check.. Is he an honest man?? To a fault, he's honest..

I don't know anything about W0AKG, but I don't believe a word he said about Lou..

Nick KM5FL
wb2yip

Post by wb2yip »

I have known Lou since creation; 1965 or 1966; we both 'cut our teeth' on the novice bands WAAAY back when he was WN1GOS and I was WN2YIP...in short, he is the salt of the earth...as honest as the day is long, yada, yada, yada....!
He interested me in amps and sold me a first rate, top condition SB 200 without a mark on it, PLUS threw in two NEW finals, PLUS made the soft keying modification, and tested the whole caboodle with my Icom 7000...all for what he ORIGINALLY paid for the AMP ALONE!
If you spend any time with Lou you'll be amazed at the number and assortment of phone calls he constantly gets seeking advice, help, etc with amps...all GRATIS! Never heard him refuse anyone at any time.
Me thinks the buyer here may have been looking to flip a profit; in any event, a picture was offered and sent before the deal was consumated.
Lou is not out to swindle anyone or make a fortune in any transaction, believe me!
BobW9BF

Post by BobW9BF »

I'm sorry to read of Lou's dissatisfied buyer not accepting his purchase as advertised by Lou W1QJ. I have known Lou since '91, and his reputation has been excellent with those that have had business dealings with him. Check the reviews for King Conversions (Lou) on eHam.net. Lou is a very honest guy and like lots of people "does not suffer fools wisely". I think that explains the tone of the e-mails.

No where in the back/forth between buyer/seller did I read that the buyer had tested the tube for claimed output. Isn't this why he bought the tube?.. Did he buy the tube for easy-to-read stamped markings?.. None of us know the true reason for the tube purchase, but performance was not high on the list. Lou's analysis of a later manufacturing date seems to hold water.

I think we have all suffered buyer's remorse at one point or other. But Lou provided photos and an adequate description of the CPI logo on the tube making it post-1995. If the tube puts out full output, the purchaser has no right to a refund. But nowhere did the buyer say a thing about performance.

I do not hesitate in recommending Lou W1QJ for doing commerce.
Bob W9BF
W4XQ

Did anyone notice?

Post by W4XQ »

Did anyone notice the buyer offered the tube for sale a hour and a half after his original posting for $140? AND he listed it as a "CPI '96"? Hmmmmm.

He listed it here, on the Feedback Forum under the title "Excellent CPI 3-500Z 96?"
Steve W4XQ
"Life Is Short. Eat Your Dessert First."
kg4rmd

Post by kg4rmd »

Have known Lou for several years ,Has helped me on several projects,Have purchased several Items and Lou has allways gone out of his way to help in my projects,Heck he has even sent parts N/C.My personal thoughts are that Lou would not cheat anyone,Jay kg4rmd
SRE Tech

Post by SRE Tech »

No doubt I'm sure Lou is a great guy and well thought of... but if a buyer is unhappy with a purchase and contacts the seller in a timely manner, then they should be entitled to a refund regardless of the circumstances. That's just doing good business. There's no proof here of buyer's remorse or being unable to make a profit on the deal regardless of the accusations. The buyer simply states he's not satisfied and wants a refund.
K4RXI

Lou

Post by K4RXI »

Hello,

My name is Dale K4RXI. I just bought a complete bandswitch/ tank coil assembly from Lou for $125.00 shipped and it arived at my home on 8-14-08. It was packed super good ( bubble rap & foam ). It WAS in the condition THAT HE SAID IT WOULD BE, and all is well. I have already installed the unit and it is working well for something of it's age ( caps do dry out ) so I'm very pleased with my purchace overall.
I would do business with Lou again and this is the first thing that I have bought from the man, but hopefully not the last.

73 Dale K4RXI
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

SRE TECH, I would like to address you with your name or call sign Sir, but neither have been provided by you. Would you kindly send me private e-mails informing me of all the items you plan to sell here on QTH.COM so that I can have a cornacopia of items to purcahse with a "no holds barred" return policy by you. I'd love to sample whatever you might be selling with the knowledge that for whatever whimsical reason what so ever I can return it for a full refund. Yes, I'd like that Sir. Thank You 73 Lou W1QJ
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

SRE Tech wrote:...if a buyer is unhappy with a purchase and contacts the seller in a timely manner, then they should be entitled to a refund regardless of the circumstances. That's just doing good business.
That is the biggest crock of crap I have heard all year. Wow.

Please share your callsign... but I don't think anyone would ever sell you anything if you did, based on your whacked views of trading.

Yes, buyers and sellers should work together when something isn't right. But to say that a buyer is ENTITLED to a refund, REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES?? For whatever reason, a refund can be demanded? That is just crap, and I sure hope you do not pull that on anyone using QTH.com.

- Scott KA9FOX
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

Scott, you rarely get involved in most of the feedback forum disputes and let the jury of the peers have it out. However in this case, it is a refreshing experience to see you have stepped in and voiced your opinion on the comment by Mr. SRE TECH. I feel very honored by the fact that the owner of this fine website has engaged in this dispute and has set the rules straight concerning the buying and selling of used equipment!! I am sure you are aware that since you do run a tight ship here and do in fact mediate some disputes if need be, many hams refuse to deal with that "auction site" for doing business. You don't see too many " I have no way of testing this" advertising here on this site. You are to be commended!! Thank You for the site and your diligent involvement. 73 Lou W1QJ
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

Hey Lou!!! You still selling those Crap Proof Boots?? One more post like this:
SRE Tech wrote: if a buyer is unhappy with a purchase and contacts the seller in a timely manner, then they should be entitled to a refund regardless of the circumstances. That's just doing good business. There's no proof here of buyer's remorse or being unable to make a profit on the deal regardless of the accusations.
and I'll need a pair.. Size 11 D in black... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick KM5FL
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Post deleted
Last edited by wx1f on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W1QJ

Post by W1QJ »

UPDATE: Mr. Tippin made good on his threat to report me to PAYPAL and they opened a dispute against me. I gave them my side of the story just as I have here on this forum. The decision was handed down and THERE WILL BE NO REFUND. So it looks like I have prevailed in the court of public opinion and with PAYPAL. I want to thank PAYPAL, those of you who came in here in support of me, and Scott Neader KA9FOX. I believe in spite of this controversy my good name has been upheld. Now lets get back to some sensible trading and put this issue behind us. We now know "who" to beware of here. Thanks Lou W1QJ
W0AKG

W1QJ

Post by W0AKG »

You'll play Hell selling me anything else. I'll take a hammer to it and send back again!!!
W0AKG

W1QJ

Post by W0AKG »

By the way if you want to see how I do business on Ebay- mlt67.
W0AKG

W1QJ

Post by W0AKG »

And again, his First sentence-- Says-OFFERING A VERY LATE DATE CODED CPI 3-500z, THE AVERAGE PERSON CANNOT READ THE (VERY LATE DATE CODE!!!!!!!!!!
W0AKG

W1QJ

Post by W0AKG »

Hooray for Lou, Sure knows how to screw someone and come out smelling like a Rose. BYE!!
k2xt

Post by k2xt »

I have been on the sidelines watching this. All I know is Louie is the most honest ham I ever met in 44 years as a ham. He and I have made several deals in the past and I am the one who has always come out on top. I've gotten an 8877 from him, tuning caps, PS caps, even an oscilloscope. He repaired a 6 m amp for me one evening, working till 11 pm so I could take it back to NJ from his home in CT. He would never screw anyone. In fact he's about the only guy I would trust my own wife with!!
Rick K2XT
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I too have been following this thread and my thoughts about the whole disagreement as i read it are that the seller has a very loyal following of friends and the buyer might have been possibly a bit more diplomactic in his dissatisfaction in requesting a return or unhappiness with the item. I'm not saying the buyer was not diplomactic but from his attitude and all it does appear to be the case. As for comments about his buying and reselling what is wrong with that? I just wish i could buy cheap enough to resell and make a couple of buck's to ad towards my next radio.I'll finish by saying that we probaly have two Ham's that are more than likely well liked by there friends but clashed over a sale that should maybe never had taken place.
Larry Huff K0pd
wb2yip

After all the Bits about smashing the tubes, Martin

Post by wb2yip »

asked for them back! now, go figure!