WN8BOB - Good Seller

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wx1f

WN8BOB - Good Seller

Post by wx1f »

I just received an Astatic mic from Bob WN8BOB. He shipped it fast, packed it well, and provided tracking. We had a difference of opinion on the meaning of "Excellent Condition", but he was polite to me when we discussed it and I guess many people disagree on the true definition.
WN8BOB

WX1F D-104 MICROPHONE DEAL

Post by WN8BOB »

We did have a completed sale of a Discontinued Astatic D-104 H stand with a Astatic Silver Eagle head on it for less than $49,we had a difference of opinion on my stated condition,the microphone was taken off of a working radio and working well for a week before I sold it,it was the amplified version,I guess there was NO complaints about the Silver Eagle Head or the stand,there was a complaint about some minor base paint imperfection,I neither advertised nor sold this microphone as NEW or LIKE NEW,I considered it excellent condition for its age,they are hard to get in this condition and with that head especially,I charged him less for shipping than what it cost me,and these go for big bucks on sleese bay,he "Implies" that he is some kind of expert on the D-104 mics,so I guess he was expecting one in like new condition,maybe I should have sold it on a rated 1-10 scale,I don't know,we all know its hard to please everyone,but I feel like he got a great deal for what he paid,I have no ill feelings,if he wants me to return,say $10,I would,read my feedback,I am an honest person to deal with...BOB WN8BOB
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Ok ...Since Bob felt it necessary to leave out the whole of what I complained about and make me the bad guy......here's what was wrong with the "excellent condition mic".
1. There was more than "some minor base paint imperfection" on the base. The base will need repainting.(Even after I specifically asked if the base would need repainting and you said, "Gordon,the mic DOES NOT need paint,its in excellent condition"
2. An unsoldered wire inside the base that if I had not seen. could have grounded and destroyed the amplifier.
3. The felt pad on the bottom plate was worn off all the way around the bottom.
4. Original Astatic screws that had been replaced with some off-the-wall ill-fitting ones!
5. After matching up the wiring color code with the schematic that's glued to the bottom plate, I also found that the red/white wire wasn't soldered to the correct point.
6. Lastly...I have since tested the element in the Silver Eagle head and it's freq response is very poor...which tells me it was dropped at least once on a hard surface(The original mic base it was plugged into was probably knocked over on a table).....so I must replace it.
I still have the close-up photos I sent to Bob...in case anyone wants to review this "Excellent condition" mic. And by the way....D-104 is Astatic's designation for the type of head...not the whole mic. This was a T-UG8 base with a Silver Eagle head from another mic.
Now....I have seen all the great feedback from all Bob's other buyers and I am at a loss as to why I was chosen to be one of the few who should be unhappy.
Maybe I am too picky..however...when I ask specifics before buying and the answers don't jive with what arrives...then shame on someone..and it's not me!!
By the way, Bob....if you were willing to refund $10, why do I have to ask for it ? Just send it. ...And thanks in advance. :)
WN8BOB

D-104 MIC

Post by WN8BOB »

IT amazes me how someone will "STRETCH" the truth,that felt was in real nice condition,again "NOT BRAND NEW" but not anything like he states,and the base plate screws were factory originals,I have some here and compared them with the ones in the base,just to be sure,there was one wire left off,it was done this way to make it work by a previous owner INSTEAD of rewiring the connector end,as far as the Silver Eagle head,rest assured there was NOTHING WRONG with it!! I used that mic for an entire week with no complaints and was getting 100% modulation and power from my meters,a course he now wants to "Jump" at the chance of getting $10 back,so he can end up paying less than $39 for the entire setup,he will get his $10,some hams?? just love to see how "Cheap" they can buy something,I am NOT into that myself,look at HIS feedback?? then look at mine...WN8BOB
WN8BOB

WX1F ASTATIC MIC

Post by WN8BOB »

On a final note,you notice that NOT once did he ever mention about RETURNING the microphone,if he received it,and did not like it all he had to do was put it back in the box and return it,NO PROBLEM!! FULL REFUND!! bot of course at THAT price he wanted to keep it,Of course after having it for over 2 weeks and doing I don't know what to it no one is going to take it back now.I told him in an e mail that if he could find Astatic Silver Eagle Microphones for $49 brand new,which he implied that was what he was expecting,I would take as many as he could sell me,he can send pictures of anything he wants,as I understand he has these and buys and sells them all the time.I will send him his worldly $10 today so he can up the ante on his profits when he resells the microphone,some people are NEVER satisfied with ANY deal,no matter what....WN8BOB
wx1f

Return NEVER mentioned

Post by wx1f »

I just went thru all our emails..and no-where do you offer to take this back for a full refund. Not in the original ad...not in any emails...until now. And now it's too late to return it... I've bought new screws, a new felt pad and new mic element.
(By the way...the wrong screws were in the neck...not in the base plate. )
Here's the photo I sent you. Let's let everyone decide how "excellent" it is.

ImageImage
WN8BOB

MIC

Post by WN8BOB »

You can show all the photos of all your D-104s,don't even know thats the mic I sent,YOU NEVER asked to return the MIC,why NOT!! because we all know why,You can holler all the "Spoiled Grapes" now,that mic is probably long gone,I assume though that you still want the $10!!! that was more important to you....WN8BOB
wx1f

Bad Mic deal going worse

Post by wx1f »

Bob....my buying experience with you is over but if I can save just one other person from the same fiasco, my day will be a good one.

Anyone who is reading these little back-and-forths, just remember to ask ten dozen questions PLUS get some PHOTOS of the item, before buying from someone with bad eyesight , a distorted opinion of the words "excellent condition" and a very bad temper when called out.

Lastly...I would even compare "someone's" feedback with mine (CoolStreet) on Ebay(over 600 positves, no negatives in 10 years), which is way tougher to get since you have to deal with many "questionable" customers, unlike the folks you sell to here that can't be bothered or know how to leave feedback and just don't buy anything else from you.

Judge for yourself, fellow hams...and as Paul Harvey used to say...."that's the rest of the story".
n3kya

D-104

Post by n3kya »

Considering the age of that mic (possibly as much as 25-30 years old) and the price ($49, right?) I think its crazy to nit-pick over minor stuff... As long as the mic functions its worth that and then some. I have been around D-104's for a long time and I have seen much, much worse sell for more than you paid. If you were expecting perfection, Ask for a picture first... Don't bash the seller if you did not see it for yourself first.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

Hi Ed.
Normally I would agree with you. I have seen and repaired many Astatic mics that were in much worse condition....However, I am buildinjg a Drake station and wanted a nice looking and fully functional Astatic mic for the station....and that is why I asked the question before buying the mic, "Does it need paint?" and got a definitive answer of "No, it's in excellent condition."
Imagine my surprise and dismay when I opened a really well packed box from someone with a slew of positive feedback and pulled out the mic you saw in the photo I posted.
So the cost and the age of the mic is not in question. It doesn't matter if I paid $49 or $490 or if the mic is 1 year or 100 years old. When I ask a specific question about the condition of something I am buying, I expect an honest answer. How would you feel if you bought an Icom 746Pro for $500 and the seller assured you that the rig was 100% and when it arrived, it was missing knobs and the auto-tuner didn't work? Are you saying that because you only paid $500, then you could overlook the lie?
Enough said.
n3kya

d-104

Post by n3kya »

Everyone has different ideas as to what is excellent condition. D-104 bases get nicked, marred or otherwise worn. The amount of imperfections shown are not that bad for the age...perhaps not "excellent" condition, but certainly not poor. I do believe that the seller felt that it WAS in excellent condition. The fact is, you did not request pictures of the item, so why try to mar the feedback rating of a seller when you did not do the due diligence necessary to determine the ACTUAL condition based on your own standards. And to answer your statement on the 746... I would certainly ask for pictures before I spent the money. But even if it DID NOT work and I had to put in $200 into it, I am still ahead of the game. Bottom line...with any used equipment, expect possible issues. More if it is priced way below market price.
WN8BOB

astatic mic

Post by WN8BOB »

It should please Gordon to hear that his $10 is on the way,now I can see the feedback that he never got it,shoukld have sent it NEXT DAY AIR,DELIVERY CONFIRMATION,SUIGNATURE REQUIRED AND EXTRA POSTAGE IN TRIPLE PADED ENVELOPE,can't be to careful nowadays you know....WN8BOB
wx1f

$10

Post by wx1f »

To Bob WN8BOB,
The $10 refund arrived safely in Saturday's mail.
Thanks...I will use it towards refurbishing the Astatic T-UG8.
Gordon