Tom Stack, WQ5J - BEWARE

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N5GE

Tom Stack, WQ5J - BEWARE

Post by N5GE »

After reading all the great posts about how great Tom Stack, WQ5J is I contacted him and asked him to sell some ham equipment for me and send two ther pieces of gear out for repair. That was in November of 2007.

Things began as I expected. Tom soon sent me a check for $1000 as partial payment for the Ft-1000 MK 5 I had given him to sell. In about two more weeks I received another check from him as final payment for the MK V. Then things began to change...

I had given him a Ft-1000 MK V, a Kenwood TS-950SDX, a TS-950S, both fully populated with filters and with many accessories (microphones, remotes RS232 interfaces, etc.). I had also given him a mirage b215 amp for repair and a Yeasu FT-736R to have aligned.

After he sold the MK V he stopped communicating with me. Emails requesting status of repairs and sales went unanswered. Finally after several weeks of weekly status requests he told me he had a buyer for one of the TS-950SDX the alignment of the FT-736R was complete but the repairs to the amp were not completed. I then told him to return the repair items to me which he told me to pick up at his garage in Arlington, TX, which I found out no longer belongs to him. He now works in Weatherford, Texas at an unknown job and location. I picked up the amp and FT-736R at the garage and took them home.

Upon ariving home I hooked th FT-736R up and started using it. Then I noticed that one of the knobs was wobbling when I turned it. I removed the knob and found that the shaft was damaged and a piece of milar tape had been wrapped aroung the shaft in an attempt to repair it. I fixed this damage my self and sent Tom an email telling him what I found; No answer.

Since then I have asked Tom Stack, WQ5J many times to tell me if he has sold the two TS-950s and the accessories for the Yaesu, and Kenwood rigs; no answer.

Mr Tom Stack, WQ5J has had the two TS-950s and the accessories since early November 2007 and I still don't know if he still has them or not. He did send me two checks about a month ago each for $500, one predated and one post dated. When I asked him what the checks were for; No answer.

I sent him a registered letter asking for the return of all the equipment he still has in his posession, but he refused to pick it up at the post office.

I have waited for a long time to post this, thinking that with all the good reports here in the forum regarding Tom Stack, WQ5J would have a bearing on his desire to keep his good reputation, but now I have noticed that he now lists no items for sale here (he never posted any of the items of mine that he has) and emails that go to his email address listed here are returned as "Mail Box Full". All of this leads me to believe that to recover my equipment or receive payment for it is going to take legal action.

BEWARE OF TOM STACK, WQ5J! HE IS NOT WHAT HE SEEMS TO BE FOR SOME REASON.
Tom, N5GE

Support all of The Constitution, not just the things you like.
wb6don

Post by wb6don »

Adding my two cents:

This all sounds bad indeed, and I certainly hope it plays out differently for you, but I wanted to mention a couple of things;

1) A Google search on his call reveals he is or was very active with lots of very favorable commentary, etc. Interestingly, anything to do with the call seems to have ceased about the time you mention your contact with him stopped.

2) It sounds like he has sent you sizeable chunks of money, which puts to rest the idea he was burning you. Why would he only burn you a little?

3) Pre-dated or post-dated checks are not an issue unless they bounce. Since post- or pre-dating isn't legal, you could deposit them any time you like.

4) "Mailbox full" doesn't mean he is ignoring you or rejecting you or your emails. It simply means his mailbox has reached quota because he hasn't checked email.

5) Unclaimed registered mail doesn't necessarily mean that when he goes to the post office, he sees who it is from and tells the postal guy to pretend he never came in for it.

With all this in mind, I submit that while I understand you *feel* like you got burned, maybe something catastrophic happened to the guy, maybe a stroke, maybe a heart attack, rendering him incapacitated.

I hope this isn't the case, as well as hoping you didn't get burned, but things do happen and there just may be a logical explanation besides he woke up and decided to blow you off.

-> end of my two cents. :D
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Wow Tom this is hard to understand as Tom Stack has always been a straight shooter and if all you say is happening i wonder if something has not befallen mr.Stack in a bad way. Have you checked into the traders Net on Sunday morning's (7.245) and inquired about Tom?? I do not personally know Tom WQ5J but have dealt with him and listened to him for years on the traders net. So if i were you i'd check into the net and ask question's before making any bad words about Tom.........
Larry Huff K0pd
w8jn

hard to figure

Post by w8jn »

I believe your story, however this is not the Tom Stack I know. Tom and I have been wheeling and dealing for 8 years. Never a problem and always honest. I remember purchasing a ft1000d from Tom. I was dissappointed with it because it was not a factory D. It was a field upgraded "D". Tom refunded my money, no questions asked! There has to be a reasonable explanation. Tom would not jeopardize his spotless reputation for this amount of money. Just my opinion.
Regards Paul w8jn
n9emz

Post by n9emz »

I've done business and communicated with Tom since 2000, and I last communicated with him by phone several months ago. At that time he mentioned in passing that something major was going on in his life and he was cutting back on radio dealings for awhile. He did not mention specifics, but I recall that he mentioned it had something to do with the business partnership he was involved in.

I have absolutely nothing but good words for Tom. He's always been a straight-shooter with me and all our dealings have been nothing less than satisfactory in every aspect. On occasion, some transactions worked slowly with considerable time elapsing between communications, but that has always been accepted in my dealings with him and many others I deal with.

Our attitude has been that life goes on while equipment deals take their own course and set their own pace. This especially held true where high-end items were concerned. Regardless of the time involved, Tom has always held up his end in the past.

I'll admit that your situation falls outside of the norm relative to my dealings with Tom; and, I find it strange that Tom's been uncommunicative for so long. However, I'd not give up the faith yet as Tom has a long track record of satisfactory dealings and the Tom Stack I know would not intentionally jeapordize the outstanding reputation he's worked so hard to establish.

Crap happens; seemingly more and more serious nowadays, and some serious crap must have happened to Tom.

Good luck and 73.

Sam Mills
N9EMZ
w8jn

contact

Post by w8jn »

anyone try to contact tom?

73 paul w8jn
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

Hi to All!
I am from Georgia - Tbilisi.
Where is Tom? Already 1 year i wait FT-100D i sent to him $550 and he is recieve money and after i have ho answer from Tom.
Whats happened? Where is my transciever?
Thank`s!
Best 73`s from 4L-Land.
w8jn

cosmic debris

Post by w8jn »

well, boys and girls.... looks like tom has joined frank zappa as "cosmic debris". i called the number at his business and they indicated he sold the business more than a year ago. my guess is that they have been inundated with calls looking for tom. they had *zero* information concerning his whereabouts. thats hard to believe. this is a disapointing story end as tom was always an honest straight shooting guy. good luck to all of you owed money or equipment. sooner or later tom will re-appear
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

Strange business turns out. The person wishes to buy, sends it money, in the answer the seller sends a photo of a parcel and as a result of anything is not present. Even it is difficult to write email..... It not business is a deceit!!!
I have received these photos from Tom.
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=31206
http://forum.cqham.ru/download.php?id=31205
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

Nobody means can help? It also is the truth?
w8jn

cant find him

Post by w8jn »

i made some calls. no one will tell me where he is????
kk4aq

Post by kk4aq »

he did post on here that he had some kind of relaps and he even put his cell number on here for people to call if it was emergency. according to the post he only ask people to stop emailing him and he would get back to every one.ive never delt with the guy but i have talked to him a couple times on the phone about radio equiptment.just to get his openion.he seemed like a straight shooter to me and i for 1 dont kick the dog when it is down. im shure all will come out in the wash on this one.just my 2 cents !! kk4aq
WB4KMA

Tom check your Pm

Post by WB4KMA »

Tom,

Check your personal mail. I looked at the area of Texas where he was living. It is in Parker County Texas.

I created an account with the lerk of courts and saw some personal problems Tom is dealing with. I own and run a private investigation agency in Fl.

I am not looking for any money at all. I am only trying to help find a happily ever after ending.

If you will call me or send me an e-mail I can explain a few things that you are entitled to understanding.

Some of us guys have problems with money, relationships, family deaths or health isues and go into hybernation. We should not cut our friends out but often we do not want some one to see us a weak point.

I am not trying to defend anyone. I only hope to show another side I saw in court records. I think you may have a good ending. It is taking one heck of a detour though.

John Hayes....KI4WMI
Orlando, Fl
Orlando, Fl
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

So much time raised money to buy the transceiver and here there was a happiness. Why the such happens, unless it is impossible to write the letter and to tell that problems. Why it is necessary to vanish and escape. What to us to buyers to do? To be silent?
ve2xb

WQ5J--Tom

Post by ve2xb »

I have dealt with Tom and he has always been a straight shooter. I am concerned about him. Before you tear him to shreds in the forum, try to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have dealt with many characters who are too quick to call someone a thief--while if they waited--would have found a reasonable explanation.
C'mon guys. Let's not exaggerate or overreact. Maybe some locals can try to locate him and see if he is okay. Hams ragging on other hams is always disturbing for me. There is no information thus far that there was any fraud or deceit, only a delay. It may seem unreasonable to some--but put yourself in his shoes--a proud man who may be struggling right now with a family issue, personal issue or business issue.
73, dx
Mike, 2xb
w8jn

reason

Post by w8jn »

tom was on this forum for years. i purchased a ft1000d from him. i was disappointed and he refunded my $$$ instantly. tom was always honest and straight shooting. it is obvious something has happened to him. that does not make it any easier for those of you who are out equipment or $$$. in my heart, i know that one day, tom will reappear and make things right. maybe one week from now or 10 years from now, but it will happen.
regards paul w8jn
N8ERM

Agreement with Paul

Post by N8ERM »

I have trying to contact Tom. No luck so far. I will continue my quest. I too had a problem with a rig I bought from Tom. He instantly returned my money and the shipping cost two ways. I probable had 15 deals with him and he was great. As Paul says, something is going on with Tom and I too am concerned. I think he is good people.
Terry N8ERM
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

Let's wait for the information dear Terry!
KT9D

WQ5J

Post by KT9D »

I realize that this isn't my problem...but I sympathize with those who are having problems with Mr. Stack. Everyone has life issues...but you deal with those and you honor your business obligations to others. You don't dodge folks...move and hide...leave people hanging who put money or equipment in your hands in good faith.
If I sold a rig and got the money and my wife had a heart attack and was in the hospital, I would ship the rig on my way to visit her. I purchased a Ham related item off Ebay a few yrs back and the guy avoided me for weeks...saying his wife was ill and he just couldn't get to the shipping location. Another sold me a gun barrel...then proceeded to tell me that he couldn't find it and would order a new one and then ship it to me within a few weeks. COME ON...BOLOGNA. If I tell someone I will buy an item, I send the payment that day or the next. If I sell an item, I ship the day or next that the proper payment arrives. It used to be that way in our Ham Community. A man's word was his bond...but no more. People buy your stuff and then don't pay or sell you an item thru a classified and when you send the $...you get nothing but excuses....avoidance...not responding. I know there are good Hams out there but the newer crop seems to lack some of the virtues of the "old timers"....in my opinion. They got their tickets too easily and have no respect for the Hobby.
Mr. Stack may have issues and may not be a "crook"...but he needs to live up to his responsibilites and agreements with fellow hams. Otherwise, he is a disgrace to Amateur Radio.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

I hate to say this but, after 13 or 14 months of chasing after WQ5J, it's about time for N5GE to call his gear and/or cash a "loss". I'm not defending WQ5J but, as time continues to run, the trail gets colder and it gets harder to catch-up with WQ5J. Also, of equal importance, the clock is ticking away on the statute of limitation and the time available to initiate civil or criminal action is dwindling.

I really wonder if amateur radio ever was like KT9D describes it. I used to haunt every "fest" in Cook, Will & Lake Counties during the '80's & '90's. There were Baker Sierra artists 20 years ago pulling the same feces they now pull on the web!

I really don't think it matters how hard it was for somebody to get licensed or how long they've been licensed, an a**s who is unethical and irresponsible when they first approaches the hobby most probably will continue to be unethical and irresponsible until they either become a SK or are removed from "circulation".

A SKUNK NEVER CHANGES HIS STRIPE!

JERRY

N9LCD
4L1FP

Post by 4L1FP »

Who has learnt that about Tom WQ5J? Where he? There is a new information or not?
w0bkr

WQ5J - What's going on?

Post by w0bkr »

I live just down the street from Tom. I drive by his house weekly. I see his tower, his cars outside, and I too have e-mailed him about a non-radio purchase issue only to not hear from him.

I will ask around. don't really want to stop by just to ask "what's going on" but I know some ops around here will know. WIll post what I can find out. I know Tom and have dealt with him, in the past. No problems. So what has happened? I don't know.
w0bkr

Ask KA9FOX

Post by w0bkr »

Since he was a regular advertiser on QTH, might ask the website admin. They should have some info. I noticed his call is no longer listed as one of the posters. Odd no mention has been made to date of his "disapperance".....
:(
ne6v

Post by ne6v »

w0bkr Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:30 am Post subject: WQ5J - What's going on?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live just down the street from Tom. I drive by his house weekly. I see his tower, his cars outside, and I too have e-mailed him about a non-radio purchase issue only to not hear from him.

Tell you what...if you read all of the post in this topic, you will see there are a great number of hams that have been "screxxx" by him. Since you have "steped up" and made mention you and only you live so close to the dude. I suggest you reach down give yourself a tug or two. Become a man and go knock on that flakes door! You can approach it 2 ways. #1 say hi blagh blagh, ask him if he was going to do anything for fieldday...small talk....then right before you end it, you pull out your cell phone and say, hey tom, can I get your phone number so I can have it...I'm sure he'll give you something....then return here and POST IT SO ALL THE SKELTON'S IN HIS CLOSET CAN COME OUT. #2 way: Is the approach I like but thats me, I'd go to his door ask for him... start talking small talk... get him comfortable...then hit him with it," say Tom there's about a half dozen hams that say you have STOLEN their equipment or MONEY...what are you going to do about it...Their's a whole bunch of dudes that say you're a thief...what's happened to you man? I'm sure this approach is much more....up in his face.. just be prepared for ANY KIND OF RESPONSE.

Last note...we don't know if the flake is reading these.. he just may be and then he'll know what your up to!

de
NE6V :lol:
K4BOF

Post by K4BOF »

I suggest you reach down give yourself a tug or two.

Classic comment/reply.

73 Bruce K4BOF