WARNING: JOHN DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB, Thetford, VT

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N6BU

WARNING: JOHN DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB, Thetford, VT

Post by N6BU »

On 3/21/08 David Shaw, WB1ABB, advertised two filter capacitors for $40. ea. plus shipping on QTH.com adv#654739. As usual, I checked his license info. as a current licensee. He has several other parts items posted on QTH.com.
I emailed and asked for total with shipping. Shaw quoted a total of $105.
I sent Shaw a US Postal Money order for $105. by US Priority Mail with delivery confirmation on 3/21/08 with shipping instructions.
As of 4/23/08 , no capacitors have arrived. Despite several emails, a telephone call (unanswered) and a written request via Certified Mail for either the capacitors shipped or my money back, John David Shaw, WB1ABB, has so far refused to ship the mdse, refund the payment or communicate his intentions. Draw your own conclusions.
If anyone else has had a similar experience with this individual, please contact me. If there are others who have been treated similarly by John David Shaw WB1ABB, I intend a group petition to US Postal authorities for investigation of possible mail fraud.
If the US Postal authorities substantiate our claim, we will then petition the FCC to suspend or revoke John David Shaws FCC license for not meeting the FCC integrity test, plus ask the Vermont Attorney Generals Office of Consumer Affairs to investigate Mr. Shaw for possible violations of Vermont laws.
One complaint alone usually doesn't get far, but several victim's complaints will get the attention of authorities as a pattern of conduct worthy of action.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

I have heard from some others with similar stories, so WB1ABB has been blocked from using the QTH.com Classifieds, until further notice.

- Scott KA9FOX
Last edited by KA9FOX on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
N6VMO

Post by N6VMO »

Maybe John is in the hospital.... :roll:
kc2dgc

John D Shaw WB1ABB

Post by kc2dgc »

The victims are adding up. I also sent this person a US postal money order for $390 to purchase his advertised drake TR-4, AC-4, and MS-4. He replied to my email that he received the money order and would send the equipment within a day or so. That was 4/7/2008. I sent him several emails since which he has never responded to. I also call his house and left a message which he did not return my call. I emailed Scott at QTH to alert him of this person and Scott has banned him from QTH.com. My name is Keith Patterson, KC2DGC, West Seneca, NY. If there is any way I can help bring some justice to this person, count me in.
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

You might try to contact the local police dept, and see if that uncovers anything:

http://www.thetfordvermont.us/police.htm

I notice that one of their duties is "to protect the innocent against deception"

- Scott
Eagle1313

WB1ABB - John David Shaw

Post by Eagle1313 »

I, too, have been the subject of an unfulfilled transaction at the hands of John David Shaw, WB1ABB. After observing the normal, reasonable precautions listed on QTH.COM, i entered into a contract for the Collins 30S-1 plate transformer he had listed. On 27 March he acknowledged receipt of my electronic payment check of $220.00 and indicated shipment would be made the following weekend. After a couple of email interchanges, all return communication from him ceased on 11 April. Further emails remain unanswered and telephone calls to the number listed in the ad (it apparently is a valid number listed in the name of Shaw at 88 Lower Cream Street in Thetford Center, VT) are intercepted by an answering machine. Messages left on the machine do not result in returned calls. I, too, will participate in any legal actions that will bring justice to this individual. Another strange thing is an INTERNET search of the 88 Lower Cream Street address brings up a trail riding business, Hoofbeats of Vermont. I intend to contact the Police Chief of Thetford Center and make him aware of this situation and see if the police department will do anything. Another avenue is the FBI's INTERNET Fraud Report located on the FBI website. Mr. Shaw's actions are, I believe, interstate mail and wire fraud and maybe the FEDS will get involved if enough of us complain. I am W2OKF of Foley, Alabama -- Colonel Walter S. Szachara, USAF (Retired) Home Phone 251-955-1339, Cell Phone 251-978-2586, if any of you that were affected care to chat.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Look's to me like the three of you should all notify the PD there as i would think with 3 complaint's that should create interest........
Larry Huff K0pd
N1NK

non delivery from WB1ABB, Dave Shaw

Post by N1NK »

I also have sent Dave Shaw money, in my case $120 via postal M/O for a 15 meter 3 element HyGain yagi. this was early April. since receiving my M/O the only email message I have received acknowledged receipt and promising to ship the antenna soon. well, soon has passed.

Jim
N1NK
KA9FOX
Site Admin

Post by KA9FOX »

... and so, has anyone contacted the local Police?

- Scott
Eagle1313

Re: WB1ABB

Post by Eagle1313 »

I contacted Chief Lanctot of the Thetford Vermont Police Department via telephone on 7 May 2008 and explained the situation with John David Shaw, WB1ABB to him. I faxed a 36 page FAX with all the details of the known transactions to that date and am awaiting a reply. If no response, I will contact the Computer Fraud Division of the Vermont State Police and continue the actions. N1NK's antenna transaction is a new one which I will relay to Chief Lanctot when I speak to him.

Walt
W2OKF
radiowillie87

DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB, THETFORD VERMONT, THORDARSON RIPOFF

Post by radiowillie87 »

GOOD DAY TO ALL.

I AM YET ANOTHER PERSON WHO HAS BEEN RIPPED OFF BY MR. DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB.
ON MARCH 22ND, 2008, I REPLIED TO AN AD IN THE QTH.COM CLASSIFIED SECTION, NUMBER 654741 PLACED ON 3-21-2008 BY DAVID SHAW, PHONE NUMBER 802-785-3038 CALL SIGN: WB1ABB,

FOR PURCHASING ONE (1) THORDASON 8-17H, 500 MA, 5KV SWINGING CHOKE, $20 DOLLARS PLUS THE SHIPPING COST OF $20 DOLLARS AND THEN PROCEEDED PER DAVID SHAW'S EMAIL INSTRUCTIONS, TO MAIL BY CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED, A US POSTAL SERVICE MONEY ORDER FOR $40.00 DOLLARS TO DAVID SHAW, 88 LOWER CREAM STREET, THETFORD CENTER, VERMONT 05075.
I THEN RECEIVED AN EMAIL BACK FROM MR. DAVID SHAW STATING THAT HE HAD PICKED UP AND SIGNED FOR MY US POSTAL SERVICE MONEY ORDER FOR $40.00 DOLLARS WHICH I MAILED TO HIM BY CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED, MAIL.
MR. DAVID SHAW THEN STATED IN HIS EMAIL TO ME APRIL 9TH, 2008, AT10:15 PM THAT HE WOULD SHIP THE THORDARSON CHOKE OUT SHORTLY.

THIS IS THE LAST CONTACT I WAS ABLE TO MAKE WITH MR. SHAW, SINCE APRIL 9TH, HIS EMAIL davidthet@earthlink.net , HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED AND MR. SHAW'S PHONE NUMBER 802-785-3038 HAS ALSO BEEN DISCONNECTED.

I AM NOW GOING TO FORWARD ALL MY ORIGINAL RECEIPTS, CERTIFIED MAIL CARD, US POSTAL SERVICE RECEIPT, MONEY ORDER RECEIPT AND A FULL PRINTOUT OF MY EMAILS WITH MR. DAVID SHAW TO THE THETFORD POLICE DEPTARTMENT, VERMONT.

IF THERE IS ANYONE WHO CAN PROVIDE ME WITH ANY ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER TO BRING JUSTICE TO DAVID SHAW, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

73'S, RADIOWILLIE87 5-24-2008
radiowillie87
WB4KMA

DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB, THETFORD VERMONT

Post by WB4KMA »

Trying to get the local authorities to do something is a bit hard.

They look at where did the transaction occur?
One person is in VT and the other person is in, say Texas.

Most of the time it is called a civil issue and the people are encouraged to take it to civil court.

If you do take it to court........there is a small claims court in almost every county out there to hear this case. I may be able to help you prepare a lawsuitor steer you where to go. I teachthis part of using the court system in Fl. I am not an attorney though.

Make sure you have the other persons address and have him served by a deputy. Here is how that works.....

MY name is John Hayes....I am a private investigator and bail bondsman in Orlando Fl.

I bought a set of tubes from a person in Illinois and they never delivered the tubes.

I made three notices to the vendor and saved the notices as they were each mailed using delivery confirmation. I did not care about a return receipt, all I wanted to do was confirm that I mailed these letters to him and they were delivered.

The internet gave me proof of delivery or confirmation of delivery.

The post office gave me his signature on the back of a postal money order to prove he cashed the money order. The copy of the front and back of the money order costs almost 3 to 4.00 now though and takes two to three weeks to get. I tis proff he accepted the terms of a contract though. Save the add too.

I now send the guy in Illinois a final demand letter stating that I would seek a warrant for his arrest through the federal government for wire fraud in that he used a postal money order to complete the transaction. Enclosed was a copy of the signed money order after it cleared the post offices bank.

Then I prepared the add and the e-mail of acceptance of terms.Next I proved it was his e-mail by using the properties section of the e-mail program.

He failed to pay in 20 days and I filed the lawsuit in Orlando small claims court.

A deputy went to his house and he was served

He rea;lized that once I got a judgement I would lein his house and his tax records for collection purposes of a valid debt.

He paid.........It cost me a bit but he ad to pay my court costs too.

I have cases where I made up a nice web site say for Robert Ripmeoff.

A third party person may have to comply wiht the Fair Debt Collection Act.
A private individual and victim may get away with that and if they just tell their versio.........eh........it gets around......mail him a copy of the web site so he can see what kind of reputation he is bilding......copies to neighbors...........that is anohter thing............I may see that uner the retur address of Seymour Good.
W5YMB

KI4WMI

Post by W5YMB »

Money Order amount ?

Amount invested in order to recover Money Order amount ?
WB4KMA

DAVID SHAW, WB1ABB, THETFORD VERMONT

Post by WB4KMA »

The money order amount did not matter to me.

You do bring up a good point and I hoped to help play a devils advocate (as to where the law enforcement may not get involved claiming it was civil)
and I hoped to show some people how to use public records to verify a person and force a collection if necessary.

I am a licensed private investigator in Fl and I have been a licensed surety agenty for 23 years. I help teach the CE courses for newbies to learn how to use resources for self help. I have so much fun showing a person how to handle a bullie that I never look at the time I spend there as I hope and I have seen it bring back good results later.

In many cases I may want to buy a radio and amplifier from an individual.

If I check recording and indexing and see several evictions or small claims lawsuits or judgments on that person, I may pass on working with that person. This is usually public record too.

You brought up another good point sir.....time and cost.

In order for me to prepare an average case, I may very well spend 4 to 8 hours and 50.00 to 150.00 to make sure I have the correct address for a service of process and court costs.

Was it worth it? maybe not. Even if you win a judgment, it does not mean a win in collections. I suppose I could write it off as a bad debt on my taxes later.

I had one case in Dallas where I helped prepare a small claims case for my brother. After we won the judgment, I had the judgment filed as a lien on the guys inheritance or probate case.

I am preparing a web site that will help a person use public records out there that are free. It is my hope that showing a person how to handle a case and have live subject material, that the con artist begins to get at the end of his rope.
samKF4TXQ

Re: John David Shaw WB1ABB

Post by samKF4TXQ »

I have also been ripped off by John David Shaw WB1ABB (Dave).

I sent a $200 payment via US Postal Money Order 0n 03/14/08
for the 813 RF Deck shown on QRZ with his callsign WB1ABB.
He acknowledged receipt of that USPS Money Order payment Mar 21.
No further explanation has been given.

Please add my name to the list, and advise what I need to do to
regarding a collective complaint. Thanks, Sam KF4TXQ
n5JJR

Post by n5JJR »

i believe ive delt with him too before. Please e mail me. Thanks