RON CERRA KM4VX DID IT RIGHT!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w8jn

RON CERRA KM4VX DID IT RIGHT!

Post by w8jn »

Ron Cerra is the best!!!. We did a swap. His equipment arrived damaged obviously damaged by UPS. I sent him an email and he said the following. "Paul, I will send you a check tomorrow and I will deal with the insurance company" Guess what? Two days later, Ron's check arrived and he is dealing with UPS. Kudos to Ron for handling this the way it should.
Last edited by w8jn on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Next time avoid all areas of concern when it comes to the shipping part . Request to the seller that he/she use Fedex Ground Home Delivery. It is half the cost and 100% safer. All corners of the box when it arrives will be as sharp as the day they were made.

Three things I ALWAYS say to the seller.

1) Wrap the (whatever it is) in a bag FIRST before packing to avoid rub marks and make sure nothing can get at the front panel and scratch it.
2) Always double box.
3) Use Fedex Ground Home Delivery

Works EVERY time...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

My personal and recent experience with the new Fedex Ground Home Delivery is entirely negative.
In every way possible they have jacked me around,failed delivery,not kept promises and destroyed the item they were paid to ship.

If you are talking about the Old Fedex Ground then you need to know they are not Fedex Ground of Today.

If not then you are spreading bad advice as though it were the gospel,it will come back to haunt you.
I wish it were not so but it has been happening to me so much that I am considering never again using Fedex at all.

I am told that anything 3-day or better is still actually Fedex as we have known them in the past but the new Ground is not even Fedex.

Sorry,just my experience.
Ed

N4ATS wrote:Next time avoid all areas of concern when it comes to the shipping part . Request to the seller that he/she use Fedex Ground Home Delivery. It is half the cost and 100% safer. All corners of the box when it arrives will be as sharp as the day they were made.

Three things I ALWAYS say to the seller.

1) Wrap the (whatever it is) in a bag FIRST before packing to avoid rub marks and make sure nothing can get at the front panel and scratch it.
2) Always double box.
3) Use Fedex Ground Home Delivery

Works EVERY time...
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

MALE BOVINE EXCREMENT!!!

I've had "FedEx Ground" PITCH a 50 pound wooden crate over the front gate.

JUST BECAUSE NOBODY ANSWERED THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!!!

Your delivery service is only good as the LOWEST/LAST link!!!!

JERRY

N9LCD[/u][/i]
va3jwp

KM4VX, Ron

Post by va3jwp »

Hello all. Ron and I dealt about a year ago, and he's as good as they come as far as i'm concerned. Canada Post and USPS did their best to damage our packages, but luckily everything went well. It's bad enough that we have to worry about the way the packages are handled by the shipping folks, the people at the border are absolutley brutal with packages. They went as far as opening the box Ron had sent to me, and completley taking the package apart. And of course, they managed to loose the volume knob to the radio. But, like I said earlier, everything ended up going well, and Ron was a real pleasure to deal with. Good to hear your situation is being taken care of, it just goes to show that their are good honest hams out there.

73 to all.
James Parker (VA3JWP)
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

WOW , that’s quite unusual , I ship about 300 pieces a year, 3/4 of them FL-7000 amplifiers which weigh 68 pounds (http://n4ats.com) and never ever had a problem with FedEx Ground however I believe you in that FedEx Ground is subbed out to local drivers (independent) , you may have got someone who don't like you...

Now on the other hand, I used UPS about 10 or 12 times in which 2 boxes were smashed beyond recognition.

One of the things I like about FedEx Ground is they actually will “fix” poor packing if ever needed , i.e. some people use cheap boxes and stuff which tear , FedEx will fix it. UPS will keep it moving regardless of condition.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Wrong - FedEx GROUND is NOT subbed out to local contractors. FedEx HOME DELIVERY is subbed out to the local driver - usually in their own vehicle with a FedEx HOME DELIVERY magnetic sticker one the hood or door.

I ONLY use FedEx ground versus UPS and occasionally DHL. I NEVER use FedEx HOME DELIVERY as that is a crap-shoot.

I have only had two issues with FedEx in the last 3-years and one was the fact that the local office who was paid to package the item dropped it and then packaged it damaged. I am fighting with them over that now...
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I stand corrected , however that is who I use (Fedex Home Delivery) and never had issues at all with them. I ship piles of boxes with them daily. As a matter of fact , the driver gave me his cell number and I call him direct if I miss him at the door , not home , at work or whatever. He drives back to me when I am there. That is what I call service...

When I ship , I drop off packages at the regular Fedex locations as well.

They have always been great. I went through my packing slips (quickly and a rough number) and have well over 1,000 packages sent thru Fedex Home Delivery. 400 plus have been 68 pound Yaesu FL-7000 amplifiers.I have never lost a single box.

On my web , under shipping instructions , I recommend them when receiving FL-7000's as well. Some people pack them like crap and they STILL get to me fine because of the carefullness of Fedex.

I had four claims with UPS in a total of 11 boxes sent with them.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
W8VVE

Fedex ground/home delivery

Post by W8VVE »

I have used Fedex ground for a few years. Its probably home delivery since they put green stickers on the box. Never had a problem with them. However... I always wrap the item in plastic, box and pack well in one box then put in another box with 2-3 inches of peanuts, etc for protection. When you ship something...you simply have to over-pack. Once it leaves your hands and is with the shipper...its still your baby....and the only way you can still keep it protected is that super packing job you completed. As for receiving items...its been my experience that when something arrives damaged...in all cases... the packing was suspect, skimpy, or stuff like that. I have yet to receive anything thats been properly packed and double boxed that had any damage from shipping. Its not rocket science...its common sense. Sam W8VVE
K9XR

Post by K9XR »

kf9z wrote:Wrong - FedEx GROUND is NOT subbed out to local contractors. FedEx HOME DELIVERY is subbed out to the local driver - usually in their own vehicle with a FedEx HOME DELIVERY magnetic sticker one the hood or door.

I ONLY use FedEx ground versus UPS and occasionally DHL. I NEVER use FedEx HOME DELIVERY as that is a crap-shoot.

I have only had two issues with FedEx in the last 3-years and one was the fact that the local office who was paid to package the item dropped it and then packaged it damaged. I am fighting with them over that now...
FEDEX GROUND and FEDEX HOME are BOTH INDEPENDENT OWNER/OPERATORS, however the IRS is currently challenging FEDEX about their independent contractor status for the local drivers.
N7BUI

Re: LOOK WHAT HAPPENED HERE! WITH RON CERRA KM4VX

Post by N7BUI »

w8jn wrote:Ocassionally you will respond to an ad, and as you should, before you send $1000 to a black hole in cyberspace, you ask a lot of questions. There are several responses.
"I am honest and who are you to ask ME any questions?"
"Read my feedback and that should be enough dont ask any questions"
When you run into these arrogant old (usually extras) f-rts, take your money and run. They are the types who will tell you to take a leap off a bridge if the equipment arrives damaged. They often say "if the shipping company pays the claim, I will pay you". WELL BULL SH_T" If it arrives damaged you send me a check right now and you deal with the shipping company. I sent you money and you received the money. It is your responsibility to get the equipment to me as described and if it is damaged its your resopnsibility to send me my money back right now and you deal with the company.
Now we get to Ron Cerra. We did a swap. His equipment arrived damaged obviously damaged by UPS. I sent him an email and he said the following. "Paul, I will send you a check tomorrow and I will deal with the insurance company" Guess what? Two days later, Ron's check arrived and he is dealing with UPS. Kudos to Ron for handling this the way it should. To all you arrogent old f-rts who think you can take the money and run???? Maybe you will be run over by a UPS truck hihi
I'm glad you had good experience with such an honest seller. I have to admit that the subject line makes it appear that a negative was going to being tossed out though. With the "LOOK WHAT HAPPENED HERE!....." , then the rant about old fart arrogant Extra's with no scruples, and finally we get to praise about KM4VX.

How about a separate thread for KM4VX and then others looking for feedback won't have to wade through these posts about UPS/FEDEX etc?

George
N7BUI
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

I agree,sort of.
I apologize for participating in the Hi-Jack of this thread.
It was not started to be about shipping carriers and that might dilute the praise originaly intended.

On the other hand,I could not let such an unfounded endorsment go unchallenged.

Also you hardly have to go through any post but the first one and you get the positive feedback intended.

Ed
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

K9XR wrote:
kf9z wrote:Wrong - FedEx GROUND is NOT subbed out to local contractors. FedEx HOME DELIVERY is subbed out to the local driver - usually in their own vehicle with a FedEx HOME DELIVERY magnetic sticker one the hood or door.

FEDEX GROUND and FEDEX HOME are BOTH INDEPENDENT OWNER/OPERATORS, however the IRS is currently challenging FEDEX about their independent contractor status for the local drivers.

Where did that information come from? The fellow who drops off and picks-up my packages is employed by FedEx and not as an independent contractor. When did that change? I know the drivers who work for the local FedEx location and unless they lease their trucks from FedEx and are contractors I would say they are employed by FedEx.

This must have changed - but when? I know FedEx HOME are contractors as they advertise in the paper as such but not FedEx GROUND and EXPRESS as GROUND and EXPRESS are one and the same and delivered by the same driver as I have had both delivered many times over the years by the same group of drivers.

Anyway - I am usually wrong (just ask my kids and my wife) so take this with a grain of salt.

Darren
ron12345

Post by ron12345 »

In case one gets lost in all the reponses, I paid $115.00 to have the equipment professionally packed and shipped to Paul. The local packer and/or shipper did a lousy job because the equipment was damaged beyond repair according to Paul. I am dealing with the insurance people and expect to get my money back since they both packed and shipped the equipment. I saw no reason why Paul should also suffer in this transaction so I sent him a check for his equipment. His stuff is of course mint and worth the price. It was actually a nice transaction if you discount the way our valuable ham equipment is treated on occasion. Thanks and 73. Ron
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

K9XR you are correct. Both since i am in competition or rather my company is i'll clarify one difference and that is FED X ground is the former RPS and is for contract driver's and Fed X home at least as i understand it is part of Ground as they are owned by the Ground Driver and they are responsible for hiring the driver and furnishing the truck..As how your package is delivered is the kind of driver you get so pack it like you expect it to fall of a 3 story building.......
Larry Huff K0pd