Buyer Beware Lawrence Peverall W4OGZ

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

Buyer Beware Lawrence Peverall W4OGZ

Post by W4AJF »

I just received in an Icom IC-706MKIIG that I bought from Lawrence Peverall W4OGZ only to find that the main VFO encoder is basically shot. When you try and tune the VFO it will sit there and do nothing and then it will tune and skip around, the encoder is bad for sure. I paid Larry on Saturday March 1st with Paypal and he said he would ship immediately. I did not hear from him and called him Friday March 7th at which time he said he had given it to his daughter and she had forgotten it was in her trunk but shipped it Tuesday. He gave me a tracking number and I checked and it was really only shipped Thursday, not a big deal but just pointing out that it really did not go out when he said it had. Also, he had advertised the radio with NO marks or dents which also was not the case, the main body has a few decent marks and the head unit has some wear on it, not in bad shape by any means but he said no marks, etc, which was not the case. I called Larry immediately (within minutes of receiving the radio) and told him nicely of the problem that the encoder is no good. He said he hadn’t noticed and was not going to do anything about it, he did not sell it with any warrantee. He was not too pleasant about it and then hung up. The main problem is the encoder not being good (I guess I could live with the scratches) and anyone could have seen the encoder was bad if they had tested it before shipping, this all could have been eliminated with a little testing and honesty. He advertised the radio “works great” and with the encoder being bad this is not the case.

Anyway, buyer beware…..If we all worked together things could be easier. I buy LOTS of stuff here are the boards and 99% are super, lots of great people out there. If Larry decides to take care of this problem you can be sure I will thank him and post that he did so immediately.

Thanks for listening.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com