RECEIVED BAD RIG FROM N6IID

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
wx1f

RECEIVED BAD RIG FROM N6IID

Post by wx1f »

Anyone thinking of buying anything from Paul Chandler N6IID....Please view and try out the equipment in person. I have had an unfortunate buying experience. I was told over the phone, that the Kenwood TR-751A was "totally operative" and when it arrived today, it turned out to be otherwise and he has refused to take it back for a refund. Now...I am stuck with a bad rig that he knew I was going to give away as a gift to a friend.
N7BUI

Post by N7BUI »

A non-DOA warranty is almost assumed if nothing is mentioned during the negotiation/purchase phase of a deal. The buyer needs to open the box ASAP after it arrives and check all functions of the radio immediately. Don't take a few days to check out the new toy.

You expect the rig to be as described and if it isn't the seller should make arrangements to get the radio returned and refund issued (after it arrives back at his QTH of course). There was another recent thread where the buyer was holding the radio hostage until a refund was issued in which the seller went way beyond what he needed to do. I applaud him for doing that.

If however the seller has clearly stated that the rig is AS-IS and doesn't want to offer even a non-DOA warranty, you roll the dice and take your chances.
wx1f

Post by wx1f »

As I said...I was told it worked and when I received it, I checked it and found it was defective...and emailed the seller right then. He replyed back that "it was unfortunate that it had a problem but didn't feel that it was right to accept it back for a refund."
I have since had the defective part identified and sent a scanned copy of the invoice with the part cost and so far have been ignored.
My original post stands....!!!
Last edited by wx1f on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wx1f

Follow-up

Post by wx1f »

Today, I received a usps letter from Paul, regarding the TR-751A that arrived defective. Apparently, my promise to post our sour transaction and emailing him a copy of the invoice of my cost of a replacement part, prompted a gesture of good faith. The letter contained a $20 bill, which will cover the cost of the new dc board. Unfortunately, it also contained a veiled inuendo that I was the cause of the rig's failure. Having previously assured him that the troubleshooting was done by a qualified tech and not myself, I can only guess that the comment was a bit of sour grapes, which I can ignore. I am satisfied with the outcome of my purchase and the matter is now laid to rest.