WATCH OUT!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K7FF

WATCH OUT!

Post by K7FF »

A number of years ago I stopped selling stuff to Canadian hams because it was common for them to request, at the last minute, that I enter a nominal amount, or 'free' in the value space on the customs documents. The purpose was to save them $ on sales tax/import duties.

In my humble opinion, I was being asked to commit perjury, international conspiracy, and fraud, which could land me in federal prison, Just to save the guy a few bucks. Not to mention that he was sticking his own neck out north of the border.

I let my guard down, and, to my dismay, it just happened again. The guy wanted me to 'cook the books' to save him $15! My honesty, integrity, and freedom is not for sale.

If you sell to Canadians, make it CLEAR that you will NOT falsify U.S. Custom/postal documents.
va3jwp

Canadian Hams

Post by va3jwp »

Hello all. Regarding K7FF comments, yes, it is true that our government here in Canada sees fit to charge us duty on items that cross the border. And let me tell you that it can get quite expensive. But to be totaly honest, I personally have never, ever requested that someone put a nominal or free value on the customs document. I like to suggest that the seller identify the package as a gift at the post office. This allows the seller to price the equipment honestly for insurance reasons, and it saves us here in Canada from having to pay thru our noses. And I can tell you that I have never, ever had an amateur radio operator on the US side refuse to identify their package as a gift. After I explain why, they are more than happy to do it. I guess i'm just a bit offended at K7FFs tone to be honest. I respect your opinion, and I totally understand why you like to keep things honest. But your comment really seems to paint a negative picture on Canadian hams in general. 73 to all, and happy holidays!!.
K7FF

Watch Out!

Post by K7FF »

So, va3jwp, hit me if I don't get this right>

If I correctly understand your comments, the 'right' way for us American simpletons to help you Canadian blokes defraud your taxing authorities is for us to mischaracterize the nature of our transactions, and not the value of the items purchased, on the U.S. postal customs documents. . .

How very, very clever! But, now wait a minute. . .

DereK
K7FF
VE2AMN

Post by VE2AMN »

I, for one, have NEVER asked anyone to help me save money by lying on a custom formula!
And I never will.
I live in Canada, and go by the laws of the land.

And special tarriffs on ham equipment let us save a good part of the custom duties.
Federal sales tax would still apply, though.
Gilles, in the great white north..
VA3EE/ VE3GNX

Post by VA3EE/ VE3GNX »

That is a pretty broad brush you are using. I have never asked for anyone American or Canadian to lie on any form. In fact I want the exact purchase price on my package plus insurance just in case something does go wrong.
Don't lump all of us together. I have had nothing but good reviews.
An honest Canuck :!: Don VE3GNX
va3jwp

US Puchases

Post by va3jwp »

Hello all, to Derek K7FF, I have bought and sold countless radios to several US hams, and I have always had excellent transactions. I've made several friends, and I continue to stay in contact with several of them. The problem is simple, and i'll explain why. Several years ago, I purchased a radio from a ham in New York, it was a Kenwood TR-751A 2m allmode. It was my first deal involving a US amateur. For some reason, the seller decided to claim a value of $850 US on the package. So, once it crossed the border, I had to pay an additional $140.00.......$140.00!!. This of course was a huge shock to me, the agreed sale price was $225.00US....not $850US. The border folks charge tax on the claimed value of the package, apparently even if it's an absurd value. So when this amatuer lied about the value of the radio, it ended up costing me a small fortune in the end. So, any deal that I am involved in with a US amateur, we always agree upon a honest value on the package. And like i've said before, i've never had a problem since. It's always a pleasure to deal with fellow amateurs across the border. I have never asked anyone to place a zero value on the package, and I can't imagine anyone who would want to do that. And for the record, very rarley have I had to ask a US seller to claim the package as a gift. In almost every sale i've had across the border, the seller will treat it as a gift without question. And if their was a problem in doing so, than so be it. I certainly wouldn't back out of a deal, i'd just pay the tax and move on. I know that whenever I send a package across the border, I identify the package as a gift every time, and i've never had a single complaint.

73 to all.
James (VA3JWP)
VE3TMT

What we need is government regulation

Post by VE3TMT »

I agree with James. Many of my purchases coming from US amateurs have resulted in me paying an amount much larger than expected. This however has nothing to do with the original transaction. For example, if I have a small package coming in from the USA, I always request it to be sent through the mail. NOT UPS!!! UPS brokerage fees on items entering Canada are ridiculous, many times more than the value of the package itself. US Postal Service is the best way. Amateur radio items coming into Canada are duty free, but we still have to pay brokerage fees and 14% sales tax. So as you can imagine that $100 item ends up costing much more. I don;t mind the true value going on the claim form, but please use the value of the item in its current condition, not the value it had when new. It can make a big difference on our end.
n3jbh

shipping to canada

Post by n3jbh »

Please let start off by saying one of are canadian freinds on this list has done deals with me going both ways. he has never asked me to declare any value that i felt was unfair. and i never done it for him. i never mis labeled his customs forms or any thing. i mark the stuff radio parts. and i place what i figured some one would offer at any yard sale.

now was i lying? i dont think so he allways got a box of parts same with me.
as for the value well hey . let just ask you what would the average old ladies be willing to pay for it if it was on a table at a yard sale? i guess thats the value.

Are freinds up north for the very most part are great folks.. i spent many a summers with them. and i understand there taxing system aswell. trust me it does not hurt to cut these fine folks a break... go up there spend your summer with them you will see what i mean... God bless our fine freinds in the north.
N1QOQ

Post by N1QOQ »

I for one always fill out my states voluntary sales tax paper work :wink: :wink:

73's
Paul