KI4KMN aka Dependable Antennas

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KI4UYA

KI4KMN aka Dependable Antennas

Post by KI4UYA »

Purchased a 2M/6M J pole antenna on July 18th. When I received it about a week later, the 6 meter rods where threaded smaller than the connectors supplied and the threaded portion of the rods were bent to the point that they were totally unuseable. I sent several emails to try to correct my problem. It was only after I opened an Ebay dispute against Dependable Antennas that I finally got a response. They said that they had received a "bad" batch of rodding and that they have had many complaints recently, but I would be sent replacement rods by weeks end. Unfortunitly that has not happened. While searching through the ham items on Ebay this morning I saw something interesting. Seems that Dependable Antennas is now "Doodlebugs Treasures" and the link to their Ebay store is now called KI4KMN Antennas (fish smell? ). I quess I'm not the only one trying to resolve a problem with them. Wonder if they are still using that "bad" batch of rods? This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a purchase on Ebay. Unlike others, I have been very luckly using Ebay over the years.
ki4kmn

ki4kmn dba dependable antennas

Post by ki4kmn »

Enough is enough! For those following this, it helps if you have the whole story. Immediately after it was found that we were sent a lower grade of aluminum than was ordered, we tried to make contact with our buyers and give them the chance to be refunded.

As to KI4UYA's order, His replacement radials were made on the 17th, packaged on the 18th and picked up by DHL on the 20th. I have increased the size of rods used and have had to completely retool to make the radials required. After retooling, it was imperative that we do a full range of tests on the new product to make sure that there would be no more problems.

This is what I know:
THE FIRST ANTENNAS FOR 2 AND 6 METERS THAT WERE SENT OUT BY US WERE JUNK! I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT WAS SHIPPED. I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO AVOID RESPONSIBILITY NOR "STIFF" A POOR MAN AS WAS IMPLIED. I HAVE DONE ALL I CAN TO GET EVERYONE THAT ORDERED AN ANTENNA ONE THEY CAN USE. BELOW IS A LISTING OF THE TRACKING INFO FOR ALL ITEMS THAT WERE MADE ON THE 17TH, PACKED ON THE 18TH AND PICKED UP BY DHL ON THE 20TH. To some it may seem a lot of time passed but when faced with having to deal with 100+ degree temperatures, retool and purchase equipment and do a full battery of tests prior to shipping, I am wondering what would have happenned if the roles were reversed.

Please note the second name on the list is the one who started this...ki4uya

Tracking results summary...

Tracking number Status Ship Date Origin Destination Receiver's name
23068832953 Processed at DHL Location.

8/22/2007 9:23 am

8/20/2007
EASLEY, SC MOSES LAKE, WA FRANK GLEASON
23067410553 Processed at DHL Location.

8/23/2007 9:13 am

8/20/2007
EASLEY, SC WINTER SPRINGS, FL WAYNE WHITBY
23067380954 Processed at DHL Location.

UPDATE:

Tracking results detail for 23067410553

Tracking summary
Current Status Transit through DHL facility

Est. Delivery Date: 8/22/2007

Tracking history Help

Date and Time Status Location
8/23/2007 7:22 pm Transit through DHL facility Orlando, FL
5:19 pm Depart Facility Wilmington - Clinton Field, OH
9:13 am Processed at DHL Location. Wilmington - Clinton Field, OH
8:56 am In transit. Wilmington - Clinton Field, OH
8/20/2007 8:11 pm Departing origin. Greenville, SC
6:05 pm Shipment picked up Greenville, SC

Ship From:

DEPENDABLE ANTENNAS
Easley, SC 29642
United States
Ship To:
WAYNE WHITBY
Winter Springs, FL 32708
United States
Shipment Information:
Ship date: 8/20/2007
Pieces: 1
Total weight: 7 lbs *

Attention:
DEPENDABLE ANTENNAS

Attention:
WAYNE WHITBY
Ship Type: Package

Shipment Reference: 2-6
Service: Ground
Special Service:

Description: ANTENNA

Tracking detail provided by DHL: 8/24/2007, 6:30:58 am pt.
KI4UYA

Post by KI4UYA »

Mission accomplished it seems. It amazes me that you have to come to using forums like these to get results. Seems I have ruffled some feathers in S.C. So be it!!! I am having a hard time wrapping my small brain around the fact that so many antennas could be made without realizing there was a problem. Check QRZ.com for an even longer list than the one posted here. As soon as I opened mine, I knew instantly it was bad. I hope everyone was or will get their replacements and for the ones that didn’t contact Steve Petrone ( KI4KMN ), now would be the time to do so. He now seems to be willing to make things right.
K9XR

RE:ANTENNA

Post by K9XR »

According to the post on QRZ your money was refunded on July 22. Is that correct or not?
KI4UYA

Post by KI4UYA »

NO refund was ever issued nor did the offer to give a full refund ever get mentioned. I quess it depends on which forum you read as to which is the whole story.
K9XR

REFUND

Post by K9XR »

My Mistake! The other poster was the one that got the refund. I think it was a KG4.
Al
ki4kmn

Post by ki4kmn »

After dealing with aluminum for some time, I still have a hard time telling the difference between aircraft /structural aluminum (2024) and general purpose (6061 or 6063) aluminum. The structural aluminum has the fortitude to handle high winds without breaking and is stiff enough to handle the length necessary for 6Meters. 6061 or 6063 aluminum is a softer and more easily bent aluminum and that was what was sent in a box marked as 2024. I would challenge you to tell me the difference between the two when you are looking at a 5 foot piece. However, thats not your job to do, IT IS mine, and I missed it. No feathers were ruffled but I will say that if you(ki4uya) ever threaten me again, I will forward the threat to proper authorities. As I said before, I wonder what would have happenned if the situation were reversed. I do want to take the time to thank those that bore with me in the 100+ degree heat during those long days while we were retooling. I owe you guys a debt of gratitude that will not easily be repaid. I also am grateful for the help of those that worked with me in the design changes and suggestions for implemeting them. I maintain that I am responsible for every part and item that I sell. That means I have to do what is necessary to make a bad situation better. Even though as a disabled person, I am on a fixed (more like broken) income I have made every attempt to be financially responsible and have spent thousands of dollars in new equipment to make sure I do not have a repeat of poor quality. I think I have learned from my mistake and am more concerned that it not ever happen again. To that end, I am hopeful that all who will be getting new radials enjoy many years of service. I hold no ill feelings toward any one and KNOW that when the new radials arrive, I will hear from some people as to how well their antenna performs. As we all know there are 2 sides to every story. I am hopeful that at some point there will be an end to the ill feelings and we can move forward. 73's to all, Steve Petrone KI4KMN 1-877-684-8510
KI4UYA

Post by KI4UYA »

Threaten? I don"t recall threatening you in anyway on either of the forums where I listed my experience! I DID in an email to you earlier say that I would possibly be in your area and would come by to get the situation corrected being it was taking you so long to correct all the bad antennas that had been sold. If that is threathening you in anyway, than my apologies to you for taking it that way.
ki4kmn

Post by ki4kmn »

accepted
KD0BML

Post by KD0BML »

Has anyone received one of these recently? I paid for one on Aug 10 and still have not received it. Sent almost daily emails with no response. It seems this forum gets some response, so that's why I'm posting here. I guess have I no choice but to open an ebay dispute and chargeback my credit card.

-Adam
KD0BML
KI4UYA

Post by KI4UYA »

Unfortunately, history seems to be repeating its self. My situtation was resolved (somewhat) but I don't know of any of the others. I wish they had posted whether or not their problems have been resolved. I did receive the replacement rods but were not as had been posted on another forum. 1 rod was of a larger diameter and the other 2 rods (to make up the 6 meter portion) of the antenna were of the original diameter with the same problem that lead me to start this post in the beginning.