BEWARE of Bill Strausser KB3IZL!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Well folks, it hurts me to see another ham trying to take advantage... It's Bill Strausser KB3IZL, here is his information:

William (Bill) Strausser
19 Highview Terrace
Lake Ariel, PA 18436
phone: 570-499-1535

I sent Bill Strausser $1095.00 on April 14th for some Yaesu equipment he had advertised on QTH. After a week I had not heard from him and after a couple of e-mails he answered and said he had received my payment and would ship Monday the 23rd for sure and send me the FEDEX tracking numbers. I did not hear back from him and after trying to reach him by phone I finally got him on the phone Thursday April 26th. He told me that he had shipped the 2 boxes FEDEX on Tuesday night. I asked him for the tracking numbers but he said he could not find them and he would get back to me. The next day I did not hear from him, I called FEDEX and was able to determine that nothing was in transit to me from him so I knew he had not shipped it. I was able to use the internet to reach a couple of his local hams on Sunday April 29th. 2 of them knew Bill and called him on the phone for me because he will not answer when I call him. He told one of them that he had sent MY cashiers check back to me on Wednesday and he told the other one that he had sent it back to me on Friday. This was also not true as he had already deposited my check in his account ( I have a copy with his signature!), so he could not have sent my check back. I have tried to call him many times and he will not answer. He still has the equipment he advertised and he has my money. I will of course try his local police department in a few days but I am hoping he will come to his senses before then and return either my money or send the equipment he owes me. In the meantime, if anyone knows him and can call him and see if they can talk him into doing the right and honest thing that would be a big help. If he resolves the problem I will immediately post that he has made things right.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
954-494-3432
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

adam hope you can get your money back. it is ashamed that we have people like that in this hobby that will steal from other hams. 73s de w4pig :evil: :evil:
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Thanks Danny, I appreciate your good words. I know you are a good guy, wish there were more out there like you that cared.

Regards,

Adam Farber W4AJF
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Well folks, I think some progress has been made. I called the local Police Deprtment where Bill Strausser lives and spoke to a gentleman who said he would help me. Little did I know he was the Chief of Police, who just e-mailed me and apparently 1 or 2 packages were shipped to me yesterday. I am not exactly sure what I will receive, I am hoping it is all that is owed to me but I will post the results when I receive the merchadise. Once in a while we get lucky and get some good people to help us. I commend the Chief of Police and his department for caring and jumping on the situation. He acted within minutes of my first phone call to him!

Let's see what happens,

Adam Farber W4AJF
W4AJF

Bill Strausser problem NOT resolved!!

Post by W4AJF »

Well I just received a box from Bill Strausser KB3IZL. He sent the FT-847 he owed me and shipped it in the single FT-847 box! He sent it USPS Parcel Post (I paid for FEDEX double boxed and insured!!) with NO insurance. He only sent the one box. Aside from it being filthy it is DOA, will not even turn on! It is also missing the manual and power cord (I had one to test with) and he did not send the Yaesu FC-20 tuner that he owe me either! To top it all off he has now discoonected his phone. What a piece of work.. I am not happy about being ripped off, I sent money in good faith so this hurts. I am still looking for help out there if anyone can do anything.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
NR9R

Post by NR9R »

If I had a private airplane I would love to travel around the country and pay some of these people "a little visit."

What's more frustrating in these situations is that, in my experience, many deals gone bad don't start out with the seller seeking to rip anybody off. I am in the process of trying to conclude two such deals. Person A just seemed to have forgotten that I spoke to him on the phone and told him I would send a check. He sold the radio to someone else before the check arrived (I sent payment two day air). The other package just never arrived. Person B later described removing the rubber feet from the item in order to get it to fit into a USPS box! No wonder it hasn't arrived, the item probably ripped through the box. In both cases I have been on the phone regularly with them. They haven't vanished and I do believe that they did not intend to cause any problems. What I have realized after communicating with these two HAMs is that they just appear to be mentally incompetent (hence my patience with the situation).

In your case, who knows what happened. Maybe he did intend to send the radio but once the check arrived, decided it wasn't worth the effort to dig it out of the hole it sounds like it was stored in and ship it.

Anthony
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Anthony, it really makes no difference,, he is ripping me off. As soon as he received my payment he was hard to reach, then when I did reach him he lied and told me he shipped out the equipment in 2 boxes FEDEX but could not find the tracking number. Then he told 2 locals near him that tried to help me, that he sent my payment back. Each time he lied and changed his story. He then had no intention of sending me ANYTHING until the local police intervened. This is CLEARLY a deceitful man, anyone can see that.

Adam Farber W4AJF
K4BOF

Post by K4BOF »

Hello Adam.
I have been reading this particular thread and was hoping that this issue would come to a more positive resolution. I was pretty psyched for you when the Chief of Police had intervened.
I sympathize with your case and am truly sorry for your financial loss in this matter,... it is no joy.
I am curious though,... what exactly was said to the Chief of Police to get 'hopping' on this? What did you do to expedite the situation with the law enforcement officials in this Seller's hometown? Was there a document you had to fill out or what?
Just wondering how 'it' is done and how serious the claim has to be to get the police involved in matters such as these.
I think, it would be beneficial to know (for amateur radio ops) and for those that have been 'taken'.
Thanks for your explanations and time.
Bruce
K4BOF
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the nice post. I think in this case some of it was luck. I called the police department and got the Chief on the first call, I think it's a fairly small town. I explained everything carefully to him and then he asked me to fax copies of the e-mails, names of the locals I spoke to, and a copy of the cashed cashiers check. I told him I sent a payment of over $1,000.00 which I am sure helped, the more the potential loss I think the more help you may get. He seemed genuinly upset about this situation and as soon as he got off the phone with me he made a few calls and then went over to Bill Straussers house and told him he had better ship to me today. Within a couple of hours the Chief e-mailed me a confirmation of the shipment, he sent me a confirmation number from the Post office. The chief knew the shipment should have gone FEDEX insured but it was too late, Bill Strausser shipped and gave the chief the info. The chief was not sure what was shipped to me and asked me to let me know what I received when I got the shipment. I think tomorrow I begin round 2. I will not just walk away, I want what I am owed. I think the important part of all this is to be persistent. NO ONE has the right to rip someone off. We need to pursue all our options, be tough, and ask for help from anyone who is willing to give it. I will advise if I make any other progress.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
K4BOF

Post subject: BEWARE of Bill Strausser KB3IZL!

Post by K4BOF »

Adam-
Thank you for the reply and careful detail. It definitely sounds like you 'lucked out' with a small-town locality and a police officer who wants a favorable outcome. I can't imagine something like this,... an officer taking it upon himself, actually caring about a small time, 'rip-off or scam' and giving a damn about it, when the victim is miles away. WOW!
It's downtown sprawl and suburbia here,... an officer taking it upon himself to go the extra mile here, in a case like this,... well, extremely rare!
I hope for the best,...
Keep us posted.
Bruce
K4BOF
n3jbh

very small town

Post by n3jbh »

Yes Adam it is a mighty small town. and i wont be surprissed that they dont run him out.