Scammer or not?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WW7F

Scammer or not?

Post by WW7F »

Hi all, I guess it had to happen sooner or later, this guy sounds fishy to me, anyone out there abl;e to tel me if so or a site or place I can find out the bogus email info? Not being picky, but I post the email text here,I was quite interested to find out if he was legitimate or another foreign scammer. The letter was short, reads as follows: From : henri jose <henri_jose5>
Sent : Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:18 PM
To : ww7f@msn.com
Subject : FT-840 hf transciever

| | | Inbox

hello,am interested in buying your item i will like to know maybe it isstill available for sale
if yes i will like you to get back to me with all these datails.
1.last selling price needed. Thanks get back

the reason I got concerned is it sounds like a similar scam I have seen and heard of, these people will flood your inbox, and failing contact that way, will try the direct approach , I dropped my email listing on QRZ, but that didn't slow them down much,they just keep trying:( I would love to see the scammers al just dissappear, but thhat isn't likely to happen:( On the other hand, some get quite aggressive, I wanted to see if the guy was legit or not, probly not, before I report it as junk. Thanks, I hope I am not to far off base here, just don't want to get ripped off or see anyone else get taken as well:) Thanks all, 73! Michelle:)
:?
KC4GMY

Post by KC4GMY »

Definitely a scam Michelle. The fact that he said "your item" proves he knows nothing about it and therefore has no legitimate reason for buying it. A legitimate buyer will ask questions about the condition, age, accessories, etc. No callsign either...

I get these often and always report them as spam. In fact, I think it would be great to be able to submit their e-mail address to a bulk mailer's list. I wonder how they would like that!
kc6vlg

SCAM reply

Post by kc6vlg »

Yes it is a scam reply generated by a "bot" to a) harvest your email address for future spams and b) an attempt to scam you out of your "item" and money through one of those "I'm buying this for my client " scam.

Funny how they all have the same bad English replies that stood out like a sore thumb.
K4ICL

Again... NO CALLSIGN -- DO DEAL!

Post by K4ICL »

A sure way to reduce pain and hassles of scam scum is to deal ONLY with hams with a verified callsigns.

While this is not fair to non-hams who are honest and legitimate in dealing with others, it is the way things are when trading on the Internet.

See the Safe Trading Tips forum for more details.

K4ICL