Lesson learned

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n1tko

Lesson learned

Post by n1tko »

Hello - Here is a little feedback on a recent purchase and some negativity about the deal. First off, the negativity is directed at myself! Like a lot of hams I have met over the 30 years I have been in the hobby, I consider myself an honest guy and couldn't sleep if I ripped anyone off or misled them.
I recently purchased a KDK 2 meter rig from this site. Many emails were exchanged and the deal was made. Now this rig was only $50.00 (thank God) but it could well have been much more. When I got the rig via US Postal Service it looked as though it had been recovered from ground zero at the former Trade Center buildings. I mean this thing is embarrassing to look at. Not to mention that it was busted up more in transit from NJ to MA.
Because of the price I did not ask for a photo.
I did not ask if the rig was "clean".
I did ask if it was in decent shape and told yes and was told that it works 100%.
Lesson learned; Ask specific questions and ask for a photo. My dog is afraid of this radio!!
I have only myself to blame. $50.00 may not be a lot to some, but it is for me. If you are selling something, be up front with the person. If you are buying and you work hard for the money you earn an honest person should have no problem sending a photo of any item regardless of the cost.
W5YMB

Lesson Learned . . .

Post by W5YMB »

Sometimes, beware of Photos . . .

Beware of Photos " shot-in-the-dark " . . .

This will " hide " scratches, dings & dents . . .

I have used Photo - Editor Software to " Brighten " darkened Photos & have uncovered scratches, dings & dents (Gee - What a surprise)

Beware of Photos " shot-from-afar " . . .

This will also hide the above mentioned defects

Beware of " Postage Stamp " size Photos for the same reason
K4ICL

Be sure it is the the correct photo...

Post by K4ICL »

Also specifically ask if the photo is of the item or items to be sold or traded and not a photo from advertisements, eBay, or other sources.

K4ICL
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

Speaking of asking if the photo is of the item for sale or trade. I have seen several listings where the attached photo was from the RigPix web site. As for me that doesn't do any good, I know what the item looks like, I want to see a photo of what I mite buy looks like. I e-mailed a guy once and asked if he had a picture of his radio and not the photo he attached and he answered back saying that was his radio, Ya right.