"Make Offers"

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k4acf

"Make Offers"

Post by k4acf »

I have been watching the items being offered for some time now and have noticed several with the "make me an offer" statement. I have also noticed several of these with the statement " Don't make stupid offers" and other comments about this subject.
Gentlemen, I would suggest that if you already know what you want for something, then list it. The above approach sounds like your just trying to get the price up there to maximize your profits. I would suggest if that is what you want to do then use E-Bay auction site.
I have been in the hobby for many years now and "Horse trading" has always been part of it.
This is just my two cents for what it is worth.
73s Al Schmidt
k4acf@earthlink.net
emory

Make Offer

Post by emory »

I agree 100%
If u want to auction it off (Make offer) Then put it on ebay!
If I want/need an item I don't want to make an offer and wait for 3-4 day's to see if I am the highest offer, I want it now.
So, Put ur price on it and If we want it we will buy it. If not we will go on to the next.
73 kk4rb
K4ICL

...here is what to do.

Post by K4ICL »

Here is my extended list of similar items. When you don't want to sell an item,
here is what to do.

Don’t put any price to keep ‘um confused
Don’t include a picture to keep it mysterious
Include a tiny out of focus picture of a comercial ad
Don’t describe its condition so they’ll think its junk
Declare you won’t ship it to significantly reduce buyers
Require a local sale to reduce buyers even more
Make bad gramer and speling so tha well think yr add wittten by a idiot.
Put it in eBay and only list the eBay item number
Require offers be made for it; that’ll run some buyers off
dont use caps or puncuation so its hard to read know what i mean
Use confusing wording and spelling to remain vague
Type out your ad in UPPER CASE so no one will read it
Don't give a phone number so they can't find you
Include a nonworking email address so thay can't contact you
Make'um mad; threaten to put it on eBay
Don't list your callsign; that really ought to do it
Tell'em its really in good shape, for its age
Give'em a nonworking URL to get more info about your ad
Tell'em not to ask stupid questions
Don't even think of answering any emails you get

Results guaranteed! You will not have to sell it.

Cheers…

K4ICL
KC4GMY

Post by KC4GMY »

I almost always list a shipped price on any items that I have for sale. That's just the way I like to do things. But I don't see any problem with these kind of posts. In fact, I have in the past made very low offers and bought excellent items at great prices from such posters.

Anyway, if it is too annoying, just ignore it and move on to the next ad. No use in crying over spilled milk...
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

While we're on the subject, I'd like to take it a step or two further.

If you insist on placing a "make offer" ad, at least extend the courtesy of acknowledging each offer. Just remember, you leave yourself open to rediculous offers.

After you sell the item, remove the ad. What good does it do to leave the ad running with the words "item is sold" showing in the ad??

If you sell the item and continue to receive replys, simply send the inquirers a 3 word message. "Item is sold".

KM5FL
N6VMO

Re: ...here is what to do.

Post by N6VMO »

K4ICL wrote:Here is my extended list of similar items. When you don't want to sell an item,
here is what to do.

K4ICL
Or, type the ad in CW shorthand.

"4 sale qrp HF rig gud condx pwr es fb make ur offer pu only hr in fla"
Last edited by N6VMO on Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N4ATS

Re: ...here is what to do.

Post by N4ATS »

[quote="K4ICL"]Here is my extended list of similar items. When you don't want to sell an item,
here is what to do.

"Make bad gramer and speling so tha well think yr add wittten by a idiot."

After I got my breath back from laughing so flippin' hard , I realized , you hit 'dat hammer on 'da head with dis comment. If you looks stupid , den people will really think you are to dumb to test your equipment and believe the comment "no way to check out" is OK even dough dey have a full blown ham shack in da back of the picture dey took.

Realistically , I seen a listing on eBay the other day with a guy that had and amplifier for sale , nothing special , it was an Ameritron and in the description he stated “sold as is , no way to test”. However he forgot to look at the picture that he posted on eBay with the exact same amplifier sitting next to a Kenwood TS-950S in the background. The picture was removed shortly after and a new one replaced it, the TS-950S was there but the Ameritron in the background was gone. I wish I would have grabbed the pictures to post.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K7HC

Post by K7HC »

Another gripe item. Multiple postings - post the item under 4 or 5 categories so it repeats for most of the page. Also, I scan the Classifieds often and appreciate the red icons for edited ads. I just skip all red icons as I think I've seen the ad at least once before.
KC4GMY

Post by KC4GMY »

K7HC wrote:I just skip all red icons as I think I've seen the ad at least once before.
Sometimes an edit means the poster is dropping the price...
K4JC

My 2 cents' worth

Post by K4JC »

OK, this has been stuck in my craw for awhile. I respond to an ad that has recently been placed (in a couple of cases within minutes of it appearing.) I get no response for a couple of days, then a "sorry, it's sold" reply. Sometimes no reply at all. I find it hard to believe that so many items are sold literally within minutes of being posted, then they wait days to tell me it's sold? It makes it even harder to believe when the stuff I post for sale usually takes hours or even days to get a response, if one comes at all!

Just my 2c worth.