Folks...do yourselves a favor!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K9FI

Folks...do yourselves a favor!

Post by K9FI »

Before I bought this HF-rig, it NEVER, EVER occured to me to ask the Seller whether-or-not he was going to include a power-cord with the radio. Sure...I have bought vhf-uhf mobile radios in the past, that showed-up without the whole DC-cord (just the tail on the radio, you know?), but a relatively recent, 100w HF-radio??? Naaah, that would never happen, right? Wronnng! I didn't think to ask such a simple question -- didn't think that I had to, given the fact that this seller had NO bad feedback that I could find. As a matter of fact, I couldn't find ANY FEEDBACK on this person at all, anywhere!

Oh...I forgot to mention...not even the original, cheap hand-mic was supplied with this HF-radio -- I didn't think that I would have to ask such a simple question...wrong again.

Here's this 100w HF-radio (primary power is 12vDC), operators manual, service manual on CD, and an empty box. It just like buying a car, and then finding out that you have to put your own gas into it to just start it, and drive it away -- got to be wondering if the transmission is OK at that instant in time, you know?

:oops: :oops: :oops:

The Seller's email response to me was that he was sorry for the confusion (well...there was NO CONFUSION, just utter surprise when I opened the box this afternoon to find NO DC-cord), that he used a DC-supply that has a DC-cord built-in, and that he bought that 'set' used, with no separate DC-power cord. He said that he "tried to list all that came with it". Yup, he did.

My mistake AGAIN...I didn't ask the seller what I thought to be questions that I didn't need to ask.

Anyway, my point to all of you is to suggest that you ask the Seller ALL of those "dumb" questions that I didn't think that I would have to ask, based upon my research of Sellers history. Make sure that you know, in-writing, that you will-or-will-not be receiving everything you are "generally" expecting, and know EXACTLY what you will be receiving.

:roll:

Well...gotta shell-out another 25 bucks for a DC-power cord, and then I'll be able to find out whether I bought a brick or not. (sigh!)

:?

Happy Holidays to all -- and better trading to you...73!
Jim, K9FI
:o
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

Hi Jim,
Wow, I thought I was the only one that happened to. I bought an HF rig from a person that said he was keeping the power supply. I said to him thats OK, I have a supply. Well sure enough the rig showed up with out a power cord. I called him and said he did not sent the cord. He said he told me he was keeping the supply and I said yes I know but I need the power cord to connect it to my supply. He told me the power cord is part of the supply and like you he said sorry for the misunderstanding. I had to order a power cord and it cost me $18.
Next time I will ask for just exactly what comes with the radio.
I just wonder if you and I bought from the same person?
.......Wally, N9VAO
K9FI

Post by K9FI »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROTFLMAO!!!

...and I thought "I" was the only schmuck to make the mistake of not asking!

Wally, you made my day!! I'm sorry to see that you got rooked the same way I did, but in the same breath, the POINT is well taken, not only for the buyer, but for the seller!

:oops:

I know one thing...IF I EVER sell a high-power rig, and for some reason am unable to supply a power-cord to the buyer in the transaction, I KNOW that I will be sure to state that fact UP FRONT, before the buyer commits to the sale. Either that, or I will take the extra time to purchase a power cord to go with that rig. Of course, there will be some buyers who will state, right from the chute, that they DON'T NEED a power cord, and for the seller NOT TO WORRY about supplying one.

THE BOTTON LINE: Excellent communications on both the buyer's and the seller's part will make for a pleasant transaction throughout. Wally & I learned a VERY VALUABLE LESSON here. I think it is safe to say that we both would want our fellow radio amateurs NOT to have to experience the brain-pain and the a**-burn of a mucked-up transaction, such as we experienced!

:wink:

WooooooooHoooooooo...73!
Jim, K9FI
8)

PS to Wally:
My email address is in the detail-section of my callsign lookup on QRZ.com - maybe we should compare notes on our seller -- if we hit a bullseye, maybe then we should consider a collective feedback entry on this seller -- IF NOT, I guess that we should just let it go, and learn not to make the mistakes that we made by not asking, no?

73!
Jim