Back your product.

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N8QBY

Back your product.

Post by N8QBY »

I have seen way to many ads from hams, that claim that their item works, only to end their sentence with, "due to age, sold as is", or something similar. If you claim that the radio that you are selling works, then you should stand by your comment. It is a cop-out to use the standard lame excuses, ie, due to age, being electronic, sold as is, but working, can't test, etc. If you state that it works properly, then offer up a refund, minus shipping if you have to. It sure would be the honest thing to do. To many people get stuck with radios that don't work properly because of the lame conditions of the sale. Most hams have the equipment to test radios, receivers, etc. These comments, "no way to test, so as is", is the biggest bunch of bull. Let's try and get that percentage of honest hams to that 98% that people always quote. Step up to the plate people. Just because you might get taken, doesn' t mean that you have to pass it on to some other unsuspecting ham.
Just my opinion but I stand by it 100%. Pat Bernard N8QBY
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Hi Pat , I must add a comment. "Due to age, sold as is" , is VERY legit. I sold a really old radio that "worked very well" to a guy UNTIL he left it on for 3 days , then it quit. Turns out the power supply dry rot could not take the abuse. He moaned about it. Anyways , I refunded his money just because I do honor that request . It is wise to say "WORKS and not D.O.E. or money back". Also , I have seen many complaints from hams "buying" old stuff , only to find that THEY abuse it and try to slam the seller. That's bull. When you buy a 20 year old radio , you ARE risking to begin with and no one is going to back up a total refund unless he has no issues with finance. Just my two cents.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

N4ATS: Your example is a good one, and the refund was an extra effort on your part. There are obviously exceptions. I see radios that aren't even that old with the same conditions. Some just seem to take the easy way out. I realize that people that agree to these terms know what might happen but many sellers are just passing the bad items that they received as not working properly. I guess there are many different scenerios that could come up. I just hope that most are honest when selling.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I understand, unfortunately there are a "few bad apples" that wreck it for the rest of the honest sellers. The bottom line is, “you reap what you sew”. Those bad sellers will have a consequence in the future and most likely it will be bigger than what they think. Every move in life has a repercussion. When I get ripped off, I actually forgive them knowing their time is coming, it is quite a pleasant experience when I see them later in life on a newsgroup or something whining about a loss that was way bigger….
Last edited by N4ATS on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K4ICL

Its not always about being honest...

Post by K4ICL »

The reality is any electronic equipment is at risk of some damage if the equipment is shipped to the buyer.

Most buyers expect their purchase to arrive in the condition the seller said it was in. A reasonable expectation right? Not really. Today's shipment carriers don't normally sort or move the packages by hand. They are sorted and routed by bar code controlled conveyor belts in a central distribution center and perhaps again in a regional distribution center. EVERY package WILL be dropped and banged around.

For this reason, if none other, it is not prudent for the seller that ships the equipment to guarantee the arrival condition of the item(s) sold. He can only guarantee the condition when the item is delivered to the carrier for shipment.

If you ship to your buyer, do him a favor by INSISTING the item be fully insured against ANY damage occurring when the item is in the hands of the carrier.

Cheers,

K4ICL
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Good points. I always push insurance when I sell something. Also, knowing how parcels are treated during transit, I always error on the side of caution when it comes to packing material. I use styrofoam peanuts, and bubble-wrap, along with double-boxing if needed. I have seen some shoddy packaging jobs. A few crumpled up wads of newspaper does not cut it.
I still think that properly packaged items can withstand most of the mis-handling from the shipping companies. With the exception of the older equipment. Getting back to my original post, unless the equipment is 40 yrs old or something like that, I would hope that a person would pack the item accordingly, insist on insurance, and that should make for a pleasant transaction. 73.....
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I mentioned before , I use Fedex Ground for everything. They are awesome and most boxes come delivered with all the corners still sharp which means they do not throw them. Also Fedex Ground works Tuesday through Saturday. I love Saturday delivery at no extra cost. I send about 6 or 8 Yaesu FL-7000's per month and at 68 pounds from Florida to anywhere in the US for $32 is DARN good.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
WN8BOB

SHIPPING CARRIERS

Post by WN8BOB »

I can see why some people complain about radios AFTER they receive them,I actually knew a person that worked for a shipping company,I won't mention which one,employees regularly KICKED packages,threw them around,droppedd from heights,and people actually laughed about it,also if many of you don't know,some companys will deny a claim unless it was packaged in a BRAND NEW PREVIOUSLY UNUSED CARTON,I myself was stiffed twice by USPS after receiving radios that were a mess but the box seemed OK,no damadge to box,NO CLAIM!! A lot of times you hear people say or read where they said it was working when I sent it,I can understand this to a point,I just received a radio from USPS with NO PACKING WHATSOEVER!! it was in the original box inside,but plenty of room to bounce around,just my 2 cents worth...BOB