Got my new Yaesu FT-2000

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4ATS

Got my new Yaesu FT-2000

Post by N4ATS »

Got my new Yaesu FT-2000 yesterday from Texas Towers ($2750), I am impressed. The lighting for the display is awesome , the roofing filters are far better than any radio filter I have ever used. The Noise Blanker actually "works" and wipes out all noises from AC or whatever. Selectivity is perfection at it's best. I have a long way to go in learning it all , but out of the box...WOW....
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K6HT

Post by K6HT »

Congrats Bill :D . How about a short review on the radio. 73 Henry.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Sure will, so far I love it. It is WAY more than what I expected. It has the $10,000 radio feel to it as well as operation of one. As a matter of fact, see all the FTDX-9000 and IC-7800's for sale? I know a few of the sellers, they went for the FT-2000.

If you really think about it, Yaesu has to put a so called "good" radio out on the market since the 100, 1000 and 9000 rigs had many problems and put them in a sling. If the FT-2000 was to flop, they would be in trouble so I think they had the "make it right" mentality when they launched it.

I heard a rumor Kenwood has something coming out, again, RUMOR has it the TS-970S may be the number. This has not been verified as I have tried and tried. But I think it's time.......
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K3PZ

YAESU FT-2000

Post by K3PZ »

I got my new FT-2000 SN #92 in about a week or so ago. Man I LOVE this radio. I think that it will be a big seller for Yaesu. Why pay $11K for an FTdx-9000 when you can buy an FT-2000 for lest than $3K. Here is a "first impressions" review that I did on Eham:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5641

Paul
K3PZ

K6HT wrote:Congrats Bill :D . How about a short review on the radio. 73 Henry.
w4mod

Re: YAESU FT-2000

Post by w4mod »

K3PZ wrote:I got my new FT-2000 SN #92 in about a week or so ago. Man I LOVE this radio. I think that it will be a big seller for Yaesu. Why pay $11K for an FTdx-9000 when you can buy an FT-2000 for lest than $3K. Here is a "first impressions" review that I did on Eham:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5641

Paul
K3PZ

K6HT wrote:Congrats Bill :D . How about a short review on the radio. 73 Henry.
That is great news, Paul!!!
I glad you finally got the radio..

Take care

Miguel, w4mod

p.s. are you heading up to Melbourne Hamfest on October 14th??
K6HT

Post by K6HT »

Thanks Bill and Paul for the review. I'm thinking of getting the Icom pro lll but now you got me thinking. :P
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Last night I got a real test on 80 meters. Noise level on my FT-1000 MP Field with the NB ON was S-8. Turned on the FT-2000 , Contour tuned , Pre-amp-1 , NB to second stage and set to 12:00 on the control, Width WIDE and then rolled the Contour slightly to the right of the signal , BAM , noise gone and was reading S-3 signals from a couple guys talking.

Bottom line , the more I use it , the more I like it. I am thinking on unloading all my other "back-up" radios and getting a second FT-2000 to use as backup. It takes me a lot to even think like that because I like different toys.

The matching SP-2000 speaker is going to be here soon , I am number one on the list at Texas Towers for mine. I ordered from http://cheapham.com a new Heil GM-5/TB-1 and cable to use on the FT-2000 , should be here today.

By the way , I use ESSB all the time , this rig WILL do 3K TX Width out of the box by setting the menu to 3K. Look out Kenwood TS-870SAT (my favorite radio), you have a challenger.

I took a very detailed close up picture of the FT-2000 , if you want it , email me , I will email it to you.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
ab7r

On the fence

Post by ab7r »

I recently sold my 1000D with the intent of purchasing the 2000. But a couple things have me on the fence......

1. There seems to be an issue with the speach processor.
2. The RX numbers for BDR and IMD recorded by George just seem sub-par for a radio of this class.

I'm hoping to find someone to sway me one way or the other.

GL and enjoy the new rig.

Greg
AB7R
w4mod

Re: On the fence

Post by w4mod »

ab7r wrote:I recently sold my 1000D with the intent of purchasing the 2000. But a couple things have me on the fence......

2. The RX numbers for BDR and IMD recorded by George just seem sub-par for a radio of this class.

Greg
AB7R
Hello, Greg!!!
I was on a list waiting for a Ft-2000 but they kept delaying and delaying, that I went and got a Icom Pro III and its being working great for me. The FT-2000 still not available, I think Yaesu is beta testing this radios, so after consideration, I will wait a while before getting one, that way all the bugs and issues will be clear, but the thing with that is that you never know when Kenwood or even Icom will come up with something else and then you have to make a difference choice..

Good luck in your decision

Miguel, w4mod
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Greg , just curious , what spacing did he measure BDR and IMD? I am planning on testing (with realistic equipment here at the plant ) at spacing of 1Khz and 5 Khz using twin generators (2 signal approach). Actually for contesting, 500 hz to 1Khz is more realistic however I am not really interested in pile up conditions. Also what did he use to support it , i.e documentation, test equipment or whatever. Also I would like to know if he used a single or two signal generators when testing. Thanks!
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
ab7r

FT-2000 specs

Post by ab7r »

Shoot an email to Paul...N3PZ. He sent it to me about a week or two ago. I think I have it on my computer at home and will send it this evening. But Paul can probably get it to you faster. He's retired and does nothing but fish and play on the radio....hihi.

Hi Paul!

CUL
Greg
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Thanks , Ya I don't know the feeling of fishing and playing all the time "yet", but it is coming.... 7 more years , I will have 30 with Lockheed , then I think I will work part time at A.E.S. up the road from me for something to do.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
ab7r

Retirement

Post by ab7r »

I retired from the Navy after about 24 years.....so WHY am I still working? To pay for new radios and our other passion....horses. Those critters are more expensive than having kids...and don't have to send them to college...hihi.

Shoot me an email at ab7r@cablespeed.com if you don't get it from Paul. If I get an email from you I'll forward it to you when I get home.

Greg
K6HT

Post by K6HT »

This is far getting more interesting for me. I'll wait for more reviews then decide which to go with, either the Icom or the yaesu. I'm pretty sure they are both excellent radios. Thanks and sent you an email for the pics Bill.

Henry
K6HT
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

CLICK HERE FOR PICTURE: http://www.n4ats.com/dsc02006.jpg

Hey by the way , Vallejo? I lived there for a few years. Can't remember the street but remember it was right behind a "Safeway" supermarket. (does that sound right?) I worked at Mayor Island Naval Shipyard for a while. My Aunt and Uncle still live behind the ole' supermarket as well. I think it is MINI Drive?
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K6HT

Post by K6HT »

Bill, Mare Island naval base station is long gone and most of the base housing are now privately owned. And yes there used to be a Safeway by mini drive, but that one too was closed a while back. And hopefully you can post the picture here for everybody to see. Thanks.

Henry
K6HT
n4zkf

Re: On the fence

Post by n4zkf »

ab7r wrote:I recently sold my 1000D with the intent of purchasing the 2000. But a couple things have me on the fence......

Greg
AB7R
The speach processor needs to be setup as does the mic settings seperately.
That's the problem I found and corrected. I love this radio!
My 1000 Field is sitting on the floor.
Dave n4zkf
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Well , after a few weekends of real testing of the Yaesu FT-2000 , I hate to say it , the FT-2000 is going bye-bye. Hands down, the Kenwood TS-870SAT rips the audio to shreds against the FT-2000. The audio output of the TS-870SAT is just flat out un-matchable in any case. Also the front end audio gain chain in the TS-870SAT has two more stages over the FT-2000 and less "yelling" is needed to achieve full power output at 3Kz bandwidth TX. I love the looks of the Yaesu FT-2000 , but for ESSB , its a no-go for me. For DX pileups and that sort of chit chat , I am sure it is great. It is going to take a lot for me to give up the TS-870SAT. You can also read all about ESSB and the TS-870SAT at the NU9N.com website.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com