KD8DDW - Be Careful

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K7IN

KD8DDW - Be Careful

Post by K7IN »

Nearly a month ago, the above ham, Nathan Smith agreed to purchase a radio from me. Once we had agreed on the price, he was to mail a USPS money order as my accepted method of payment. A week later his payment arrived but was about 10% of the agreed price. He stated that he was going to be out of the country for the next two weeks yet over the next week, I saw a handful of ads he had placed on another service. When I asked about the money, he claimed that my money order had gotten confused by his 'secretary' and she mailed the wrong amounts to two people. He said he would send the difference the next day. A week later, it had not arrived and finally after 11 days, a money order arrived for the balance from him but, not a USPS money order. It was supposedly from his credit union yet the form had no watermark and an account number that was several 9's in a row. I took it to my bank and asked about it only to find that it contained no markingat all from a bank other than the account number and had no stamp, signature or any indication of it being a vaild, negotiable document. They would not accept it for deposit or to cash.

When I asked Nathan about it, again, it was just an oversight or mistake and that I needed to return the money order so he could buy a USPS money order as we had originally agreed upon. He was insistant on the unusable money order being returned. So, I asked him to send the USPS money order to me by express or priority mail and I would hang onto the unusable one until the USPS money order arrived then, I would return it WITH the radio he had bought. He was not interested in that and said that he no longer wanted the radio and that I needed to just send the money order back.

I have decided this guy is working on trying to pull a scam on me and has wasted enough of my time already. I do plan on checking with his credit union myself tomorrow to see if this is a ligitimate document and the signature was just an oversight or if it is a fraud. Depending on what I find out, will determine what course of action I actually pursue.

Please accept this as a warning or caution if he offers to buy something from you.
Wayland k4ws

kb8ddw

Post by Wayland k4ws »

Well I am also glad to hear that I wasn't the only one that had met Nathan.
He swore to me that he was 15 years old. He was going to send partial
payment for my radio also and a unusual named appliance that I guessed
must have been a cb. He also said that he was sending an Astron ps
that was worth 125 dollars. NONE of this was in my listing for possible
trades. I deleted my ad finally after at least 12-15 persistent emails from
Nate.

I sent Scott an email of the hassle plus another Canadian gentleman that
seems to give accolades to people he never deals with, and stated on here that most users here were not honest. Maybe that is why he isn't living where
he appears to be. I found out from another ham that he accepts your terms
in your ad and then once you agree he retracts. He didn't do this to me, he
twisted my words on the cost and made it look I agreed to cost plus shipping included in my stated price. Then I retracted before he had the chance of
hooking me.

Thank goodness for guys that also see this stuff and help keep Scott's site
reputable. I think it is a good site, and he can't help the jerks that do the
posting of emails to potential buyers and sellors.. Thanks to the 9 station
for "waking" me up to Nate having a secretary, being a world traveler, and still
being 15 years old! I specifially asked him if he were telling me the truth and he swore he was 15 years old. I guess that makes me the King of Siam! :D
73 k4ws
Wayland k4ws
Wayland k4ws

kd8ddw

Post by Wayland k4ws »

I apologize to the station that i mistakenly entered their call, kb8ddw. I didn't realize that I had made the typo until submitted. Kd8ddw is the station
I was responding to. Nate is kd8ddw. Sorry.
Wayland k4ws
kd8ddw

KD8DDW

Post by kd8ddw »

Hi, i am Nathan Smith KD8DDw. The sgc sg-2000 i posted on eham for a review and they said it is not a ham friendly radio. So i asked for my money back. I am so sorry i for got to sign the check becase i wanted to get the radio. I was on vaction. I have sold my power supply and cb radio. I am so sorry about both of these things. If you look me up i am only 15 and not trying to rip you off. A couple of days ago i passed me general test and was trying to get the hf rig faster than i should. If i was a true scammer i would not be giving this info. I learned that postal money orders are the best and that is what i am going to start using. I have contacted my backk and i will be able to get the $425 back that i sent. :lol: If you guys have any questions enmail me at smithna00@comcast.net
kd8ddw

kd8ddw

Post by kd8ddw »

Hi, it nate smith again KD8DDW If you were all wondering who my sectury was it was my mom. I went on a boy scout trip to ireland since they wer having a jamboree. So i had to call my mom and have her get it all toger. I thought it would sound wered to say my mom so i said sectury.
K7IN

Re: KD8DDW

Post by K7IN »

Nathan - I read both your reply messages and hope that this experience is something you will use in your future dealing with others.
kd8ddw wrote:Hi, i am Nathan Smith KD8DDw. The sgc sg-2000 i posted on eham for a review and they said it is not a ham friendly radio. So i asked for my money back. I am so sorry i for got to sign the check becase i wanted to get the radio. I was on vaction. I have sold my power supply and cb radio. I am so sorry about both of these things. If you look me up i am only 15 and not trying to rip you off. A couple of days ago i passed me general test and was trying to get the hf rig faster than i should. If i was a true scammer i would not be giving this info. I learned that postal money orders are the best and that is what i am going to start using. I have contacted my backk and i will be able to get the $425 back that i sent. :lol: If you guys have any questions enmail me at smithna00@comcast.net
The radio is a "professional quality" transceiver, not "ham friendly" since it is not specifically made for amateur use, this one is designed primarily for government and military use. So, you need to know what you are doing to make it perform properly. In retrospect, had I known you were a brand new ham and 15 years old, I would not have recommended it to you.

Your comments that 'your secretary' would mail the payments and you were going to be "on vacation in Ireland" were misleading. The truth would have been understandable. If in fact your trip was with the Boy Scouts, you need to pay more attention to small details like telling the truth and no attempting to deceive people by providing misleading information. I think you will find that it is much easier to due business when you are honest and forthright in your dealings. Don't try to present yourself as something you are not.

I noticed you have an ad placed on QRZ for an IC-706MkIIg. Why in the world do you want to sell off a great radio such as that as a new ham is beyond me. It can be used at home or portable, works all bands and modes and will do everything you are expecting of a ham transceiver. But, it won't work on the CB bands which is what I have been suspecting you wanted the SG-2000 for now that there are nore fact known about things.

You need not reply to my message as I am considering the matter settled. But, if you are going to do business with other hams in the future, you need to change your ways because you are going to earn a 'negative' reputation very early in your life and I don't think you really want that....

73, Paul - K7IN
kd8ddw

KD8DDW

Post by kd8ddw »

Ok, tHANKS THIS HELPED OUT ALLOT. i WILL GIVE MORE DETAIL NEXT TIME. THANKS!!!!

KD8DDW 73
kg6hdk

Yes, Please be aware of KD8DDW, non-paying ebay bidder

Post by kg6hdk »

Funny what you can find with a google search...I've just entered a whole mess dealing with KD8DDW, Mr. Nathan Smith who is rude and unprofessional and has no idea how ebay works. This was the item he purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... B:RTQ:US:1

It was a Paypal only auction and after he won he emailed me with about half dozen frantic emails which i will include below. He informed me he could not paypal and had to send a money order and would include $5 extra dollars which was fine. He then insisted that i sell him a battery that was not listed in the auction after i told him i didnt feel it was worthy of selling since i could not verify its ability to take a charge, but again he insisted, which was fine too (hey, its his money). He said he'd send me a money order "in the next few days". Today i received a message from him that said "I have decided not to buy your radio sorry." ... I informed him of the binding auction contract and that he would receive negative feedback from me and probably get a suspension of his account since he has only 1 feedback rating...his response?

"Sounds fine sice i have 8 accounts with ebay so will not hurt me one bit. Sorry about your bad news." and all this from a supposed ham.

Here are the emails which i believe speak for themselves, his in bold, my replies in italics:
- I only do postal money order. Can i still do that. I will trow in a extra $5.

Yes, go ahead and send a postal money order for $36.05. I will
send the radio as soon as i receive the money order. Please be sure
to check payment details for future auctions.
Thanks.
Boris

-Do you have the battery for this radio and the charger. I will give you extra money for it.

-I did not realize this was a license free radio. If this is the case then i do not want it. Did you make any mods. Sorry you said vhf and i thought it was amature bands 440.

This is a UHF radio 430-485 Mhz. This radio works great on 440
amateur, thats what i used it on.

-Ok, then sound fine. Do you have the battery or charger.

i have a maha battery that i purchased a while ago but my charger
for this radio has stopped working. If you want the battery add an
extra $20, purchased it for $55 on ebay...

-If you give it to me for 15 we will have a deal. I am already giving you $5 extra.

thats fine

-So i get the radio with battery. What type of charger do i use. Do you have a off brand i chould buy.

you can use a Maha universal charger or MAHA drop in charger for
this radio.

-Ok, i will send the money order in a day or two. I will take the battery conserding it works and i am going to pay a extra 15 dollors for. If this is correct please reply and say so.

The battery i thought was good is no longer keeping a good
charge. Please dont send the extra 15$.. The battery part
number is FNB-47 like the one in this auction http://
cgi.ebay.com/BATTERY-for-YAESU-VERTEX-FNB-47-
FT10-40R-50R-Ni-MH-
QE_W0QQitemZ150043786779QQihZ005QQcategoryZ48703QQ
ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But it said it was new so i woulds till like it. Can we still do the deal because i need this battery

i purchased it new less than a year ago but i have not used this
battery for 5-6 months, the original charger I had stopped
working which is why this auction was listed without battery and
without charger. I don't sell items on ebay unless i know that
they are in good working order.

-So can you give me your address so i can send the money to you and can i still get the battery for $15

I will sell the battery to you for $15 as long as you understand it
may not charge to full capacity, it does seem to work for a while
but unfortunately do not have time to troubleshoot it any more.
Please send money order to:
address withheld

-I am going to send you $46.05 for the radio and battey withen a couple of days.

-I have decided not to buy your radio sorry.

Maybe you are new to ebay so i will explain that bidding and
winning an auction is a contract in which you are obligated to
purchase the item and failing to purchase an item you have won
may result in negative feedback, as well as an unpaid item strike
against your account. Too many unpaid item strikes in too short
a period may result in permanent suspension of your eBay
account. Please check the ebay policy on this. I have done all i
can to be an accomodating seller by answering your questions
which should have been asked prior to your bids and even
allowed you to pay with money order even though in the auction
it states the only payment options being paypal.
If you choose to not purchase this item i will leave negative
feedback and unpaid item strike against your account since i
have already paid the seller's fees for this auction and now have
to go through the trouble of sorting all this out.

-Ok, you will get negtive feedback

Negative feedback for what? I answered all the questions you
had about the radio including selling items that you wanted that
were not in the auction AND allowing you to pay with a money
order for a Paypal only auction. I have been more than
reasonable with you on this transaction, more than most sellers
would be and you want to leave me negative feedback? Do you
not understand that winning an auction is a Contract which
means you are obligated to pay for the item. If you didnt want
the item you should not have bid on it or retracted the bid
before the auction was over, this is the way ebay works. If you
leave negative feedback on my account i will send the full
correspondance to ebay customer support to have your account
terminated.

-Sounds fine sice i have 8 accounts with ebay so will not hurt me one bit. Sorry about your bad news.
Sorry for bringing my ebay troubles to this forum but i thought it was appropriate since i found some recent posts from others having similar problems with MR Smith. I'm hoping this saves some future ham the headache from dealing with this gentleman.
Boris
Last edited by kg6hdk on Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
K7IN

Dealings with Nathan - KD8DDW

Post by K7IN »

Unfortunately, this 17-year-old, immature individual hasn't learned about anyone's rules, ethics or how to treat people. I had my suspicions when I dealt with him some time ago and now that he has tampered with an eBay account, he is looking for serious problems. Sure, his one account can be suspended but, admitting he has 8 of them should be included in any complaint to eBay as they can easily locate ALL of them and suspend them all. He may just keep trying to start new accounts all the time and eBay is pretty good at finding them.

Nathan is most likely an poorly parented and poorly supervised young man who has a little money to spend and like most teens, will change their mind on a near hourly basis. The radio he was to buy from me he was in such a major rush for, he just had to have it immediately. Then, he just changed his mind because someone told him it wasn't a "ham friendly" radio to use meaning he had to know what he was doing to use it properly.....

Obviously his impulsive actions are beginning to cause him grief. I see that he has posted items for sale on eHam, QRZ and QTH.net at times and some of them happen to be fairly expensive pieces of equipment. Personally, I wouldn't risk getting the time of day from him because who knows where they have been or even if they are 'legally' his to sell.

Bottom line, this guy just can't be trusted and certainly isn't learning by his previous negative experiences....

Nathan, if you read this, you're in need of a different pass-time because the community of hams who buy and sell on-line aren't going to have you get away with your actions very long. Everyone out there will know who you are and what your unethical activities are so, few if any are going to buy or sell with you. So, consider yourself forewarned.

Paul Cavnar - K7IN
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

This post is enough to convince me not to deal with him. Sounds like he needs a good old razor strap taken to his crooked bottom!! :wink:
K4ICL

Post by K4ICL »

Folks:

Not to put too fine a point on it, the Terms of Service for QTH.com Classified state:
Additional Terms of Service

Our service has been created to be easily accessible to all users of legal age, but it also has limitations and risks that you must be aware of before participating.

Buying and selling through the QTH.COM Free Ham Radio Classifieds is available only to individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. This excludes in all cases minors (persons who have not reached their eighteenth birthday).

Nathan Smith was not suppose to be using the QTH.com site in the first place.

Your first clue that you were dealing with a minor was his inability to put sentences together followed by his unwillingness to use a spell checker.

Your second clue was his total lack of knowledge about what he was buying.

Your third clue was his string of professed "mistakes."

'nuff said...

K4ICL
n2jh

re: KD8DDW - Nate Smith

Post by n2jh »

As a buyer or seller I can't stress how very careful you must be with this QTH classified ad seller/buyer.

KD8DDW is now offering an Icom IC-765 for sale. I have made an honest effort to purchase this radio from Mr. Smith and have found his email correspondence to be inconsistent, often incorrect, and definitely evasive.

I will not bore you with copies of our many email exchanges, but encourage you to use extreme care in negotiating with this individual.

Fortunately he was discovered and found out before I had sent him the funds. QTH feedback was instrumental in my having made that decision. His actions were the clincher.

posted by John R. Hagle -- N2JH
KA9FOX
Site Admin

KD8DDW Blocked

Post by KA9FOX »

I've blocked KD8DDW from using the QTH.com Classifieds, until further notice.

- Scott KA9FOX
N8QBY

Post by N8QBY »

Why would anyone still want to deal with this young lad, after all that has been presented?? If someone still get taken, one can't feel sorry for that person.
kd8ddw

Post by kd8ddw »

I will stop posting adds. Cam i still buy things?
K4ICL

If you are under age, no.

Post by K4ICL »

Please read the rules. If you are not of age, you may not buy or sell on this site.

Plain and simple rule, just like the rules relating to drinking in a bar or voting in an election.

K4ICL
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

Nate,

Pardon me for saying but your whole story sounds like BS from the beginning. Being 15 years old has no bearing on this at all. We had a group of 14 year olds go through our neighborhood spray painting cars, houses, sidewalks, you name it. My advice to you is stay in school, take your time to enjoy this hobby, it will always be there for you. You might want to invest in a spellchecker as well.
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

ve3tmt wrote:Nate,

Pardon me for saying but your whole story sounds like BS from the beginning. Being 15 years old has no bearing on this at all. We had a group of 14 year olds go through our neighborhood spray painting cars, houses, sidewalks, you name it. My advice to you is stay in school, take your time to enjoy this hobby, it will always be there for you. You might want to invest in a spellchecker as well.
This is well said. I have known several youth that have been very upstanding young people and would never consider doing the things you've done. On the other hand there are those youth that take the other road like mentioned by VE3TMT above. Of course that is a bad start in like. A good friend of mine did just that. He straightened his act up in his mid 20's but not after doing some prison time. Now he is a very upstanding gentlemen that I would trust my life too. But his past still comes back to haunt him because everytime he applies for a job he has to answer the question "Where you ever convicted of a felony" YES. The employer is not supposed to hold it against one but we know alot do.
Think about what your doing by crooking someone before it gets you in more trouble that will last you a lifetime.
kd8ddw

kd8ddw

Post by kd8ddw »

I am sorry about all this. I am not like that and do not spray houses or do stupid things. I am still youg and learing. I will not buy nor sell on this web site. Sorry about all this and it will stop.

73 kd8ddw
w9icu

KD8DDW

Post by w9icu »

:roll: Well all I can say is maybe Nate changed his ways or something. I just recently purchased an HF rig, I received the rig two days ago and I must say I was impressed, it is next to pristeen condition and work 100%. I'm kinda glad I didn't read the reviews before I purchsed it or I would have missed a real gem.[/b]
73, Bob
n2wjw

Post by n2wjw »

Burned by kd8ddw.......

Purchased a receiver from Nathan Smith as advertised and as mentioned by him from his emails....
"Looks great and works great". Upon arrival (this receiver is a Wadley Loop tuner model) I noiced there is no preselector dial, looked inside and the whole preselector unit is gone! Also the radio had most of the lettering rubbed off, bottom line the radio is a mess. When approached with several emails about the radio's condition his answer was... "it was fine when I had it" or "it must have happened during shipping, and do you really need the lettering?" I gave him a chance to try and work this problem, he refused.
I am really sorry I have to expose this guy in this manner but he is clearly an insult to the ham radio community and to all of us that are trying to buy, sell and trade honestly.
kd8ddw

Post by kd8ddw »

It worked and looked fine. Some people try to burn me.
k8upa

Post by k8upa »

Nathan, why would anyone try to burn you? Internal parts of radios do not come up missing in shipping and the chances of lettering getting removed are slim to none also. Most people who use this site have been around the block enough to know what is going on. I suggest you grow up, you certainly are starting off on the wrong foot. You cannot blame it on your age, you know what is right and wrong, who you trying to kid?
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

Yes Nathan your are just burning yourself by misrepresenting items. Forums like this let us know how people do business. Your not off to a good start.
n2wjw

Burned by kd8ddw

Post by n2wjw »

Boy, would love to hear why people are trying to burn him. At this point I'll take this as "Lesson learned". I can probably get part of my money back by selling the radio as a parts radio and after reading some of the this guy's feedback I am actually glad he refused to exchange the radio for my money back, that would have meant doing another transaction with him!

Best wishes to all, Gil n2wjw