KC8TBU-Unresponsive seller

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KC0UKR

KC8TBU-Unresponsive seller

Post by KC0UKR »

I bought an older radio from this guy that was described as in "Super" condition.

I paid right away including an upcharge for using Paypal and waited.

I received a smashed box that was 1/2 full of the radio and bracket surrounded somewhat with old clothes and rags as packing. The bracket was not on the radio allowing it to roll around inside the box and hit the radio.
There was really not enough packing material and what was there offered no real protection.

The radio and bracket were not close to being in "Super" condition but do work.

I emailed the seller describibg this whole thing and his reply was"This is not the radio I sent"

I emailed back asking what he meant by this and he said"I sent the radio in a Pyramid box"

That is the last response I can seem to get from him.

It is as though he thinks someone intercepted the radio in its box(knowing of course what it was) and switched it with a beat up one(having another of that exact model on hand I guess?).

I don't know if it is the radio he sent but it sure is not the radio that I bought based on his description.

Ed :roll:
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

Ed it kinda sounds like he's a goofus that may have had 2 identical radios for sale (except for condition) and sent you the wrong one and the nicer one to someone else. Since he dosen't reply to you and you paid via Paypal can you contact paypal and file a complaint with them. If it hasn't been too long they are usually pretty good at getting your money back.
KC0UKR

Post by KC0UKR »

Thanks for the advice.
I know about getting the refund from Paypal but you can only use it three times a year and for me this is not a big enough deal to waste a refund chance on.

I am not certain that this guy intentionally misrepresented the gear either.
I suspect his perception is somewhat off.
It seems a lot of Hams sell gear with descriptions that are a real stretch to me. He may think it is perfect and just has poor judgement.
I can't know since he will not respond to any questions at all.

I just posted here so others can be warned when dealing with him that the gear may not be as described and you will be frustrated trying to communicate this as he has not responded to me at all.

Ed