Need help in Louisville, KY-scam alert!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

Need help in Louisville, KY-scam alert!

Post by W4AJF »

Hi, posting here so all can see, I am trying to see if any hams in the Louisville, KY area can help at least 3 fellow hams who were scammed by a ham in Louisville, KY. I sent Greg Butler KI4OQP $1,000.00 for a Kenwood radio and came to find out that he sold the same radio (probably nonexistent) to at least 2 other hams and has stolen our money. He will not answer his phone, I have his address, etc, if any Louisville KY hams or anyone in that area can help us out. PLEASE!!
Thanks,
Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf at eeco.com
954-494-3432
N8ERM

Louisville, KY Hams

Post by N8ERM »

Come on you guys in Louisville, KY. Adam is a fair trader/buyer/seller and needs some help in the Louisville, KY area. Will someone in the area give him a hand? Although this is the down side of trading, and is no fun at all, we have a chance to help a fellow ham. Fair trading is the motto of this great site. We must all be willing to do our part to keep a safe place to trade. I have personally had experience with this. It is not fun but in the end VARY rewarding for the ham community...73 all Terry N8ERM
W4AJF

Need help in Louisville

Post by W4AJF »

Thanks Terry, good e-mail! I am not asking for anyone to go down and break some legs, just to maybe visit this person and get me some information that may help us get our money back.

Thanks,

Adam Farber W4AJF
adamf@eeco.com
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

I have not lost a cent in this scam, yet it has infuriated me! I have had 2 friends who were taken for money & that makes it personal for me. I have followed the postings on this scam since day one. I have spoken with Adam and Bob (numerous times), who were the first two known victims. And I watch as other victims are added to the list.

What upsets me the most is not the loss of money. What upsets me the most is not that many hams were scammed (no way to know just how many hams sent this guy money - for the same non-existent radio). Yes, these things upset me ... but they are not what upsets me the most. What has upset me the most is the lack of response by hams who live in the area! I just do not understand it.

Oh how I wish that I lived in Louisville! Who will step up to the plate? Is there a single ham in that area who will do "something" ... anything to try and help?

What if it was you ... who was scammed for $1,000? I can promise you one thing: if the scammer lived in the Nashville, TN area ... I would be on his doorstep ... I would be camped out at his address! (You can write that down in case you ever need someone in this area).

Will you help out Adam and Bob (and countless others)? In doing so, you are helping out the entire ham radio community. GREG BUTLER (KI4OQP) apparently entered into our community with one intent and aim ... to rip off true ham radio operators! He came as a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Will you help?
W4AJF

Greg Butler KI4OQP scam

Post by W4AJF »

Now that's a good post David. David is one of the most caring people I have ever spoken to, with nothing to gain but to try to help out some fellow hams and human beings!! Adam
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Get real...guys. If this guy stole (allegedly) more than $2500 (maybe even more if we knew the entire story) and could face serious prison time for grand larceny why would ANYONE in their RIGHT MIND go visit him...AT HIS HOUSE!? Be serious. I am VERY SORRY you all were taken. It happens. I understand as it has happened to me. I did not like it any more than you did but I would NEVER ask someone to do my bidding. This fellow might be DANGEROUS or ANGRY. Why would you expect others in that area to help you out by paying him a visit? You clearly stated in your positing you are looking for someone to drop by and get some 'info'. This fellow is facing a couple of years in jail or even 5-10 if all the facts come out and if convicted. He is facing down mail fraud, grand larceny (or other more serious charges) larceny by trick or deception...if arrested

Why would you expect ANYONE to pay this fellow a visit...at home? He may be on the ropes and why would you want to poke a stick at this fellow? Be serious. Call a lawyer, call the local KY police, call a PI and track this low-life down. You may face personal harm if you were to 'drop by' to get 'information'.

I AM IN NO WAY DEFFENDING THIS (alleged) THIEF! He is a low-life who brings down the name a culture of ham radio. He should be arrested and sentenced to a long term in prison as well as restitution. DO NOT PLACE YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY FOR ANYONE! This is why we have police and a fair legal system. This makes no sense and you guys should realize that asking someone to put their body in potential harms way is irresponsible.

I am VERY SORRY you were taken by this scam. I feel for you. I can truly empathize with all involved as I have been taken once as well. I stung but I would never have stopped by this guys house let alone ask someone else to do my work for me. Call the cops or the States Attorney. Do not ask other to be placed in harms way for nothing more than money. I understand it sucks…big time. But the potential for harm would be a little worse.

Darren
Last edited by kf9z on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

At no time has anyone suggested that someone should put themselves in a dangerous situation. If you read all the postings, this is clear. But not a single person that I know of (from the area) has even called Adam or Bob to inquire about the situation or ask what they could do to help? Not even a phone call?

Is it too dangerous to use one's cell phone? Is it too dangerous to drive by a location and write down a car tag number? But even if it were, is it ever worth the risk to do the right thing? Darren, there really are some things in life ... with such value ... that they call for us to take risk (friendship, community, and justice are on that list). Furthermore, hams put themselves in dangerous situations on a regular basis: we respond to every major natural disaster, etc.

And by the way ... the KY Police were notified ... and did nothing!

As I stated before, I have no vested interest in this ... except that other hams were taken. But we consider ourself a community, we gather at hamfests, we ragchew for hours and hours, etc. I am just wondering why we can't go to bat for each other?

I am sure that my comments have displeased some. This has not been my intent. For the record, I am a Christian. I do not encourage violence or vengences. But I do encourage justice and righteousness. Even Christ compels us to "do unto others" ... or I might say, "do for others."

I remember the words of Cain in the book of Genesis, "Am I my brother's keeper?" Good question.
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

I should add that a "local" police department is working on this case. And many other steps have been taken (many of which can not be disclosed at this time). So every effort is being made by those involved. I really believe that justice will be served.

Furthermore, I pray for GREG BUTLER. On a personal level, I do not hate him nor do I harbor ill-will. I merely want those who were "taken" ... to have that which was "taken" from them ... returned. Nothing more, nothing less.
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Are you serious? BY GOING TO THE HOUSE OF AN 'alleged' CRIMINAL (to protect myself) AND ASKING ABOUT HIS THEFTS OF MONEY FROM OTHERS *DOES* PUT YOURSELF IN HARMS WAY! Think about it...you want to visit someone who is looking down a LONG prison sentence if convicted? HE STOLE FROM HAMS (allegedly)! Not just a little bit of money but A LOT (allegedly)! Use your head and think about that for a minute. Would you stop by a crack dealers house to ask how business is? Get real!

I guess it simply does no good to point out the obvious. It is IRRESPONSIBLE to ask others to visit a CRIMINAL (allegedly) who STOLE (allegedly) money from others and may face JAIL time! He could do SERIOUS HARM to OTHERS versus spending time in jail.

I give up...it is like talking to a wall. Use common sense and think about this.

NEVER VISIT THE HOUSE OF A CRIMINAL! Why? You could get seriously hurt...or worse! If you have ever seen a jail from the inside (I have not...only on TV)? I think most people would rather stay on the outside...right? Some might even do things in order to stay out of jail. Get what I am saying? You sound like a smart guy but visiting the house of a person who allegedly stole thousands of dollars from other hams is not the brightest thing you could do. Let those trained in dealing with this situation take care of it.

And a side note...the local PD WOULD be interested in getting this guy. It the officer you talked with seemed less than happy to help...go up the chain of command and talk with the next in line. You can and will get resolution. Call the FBI and USPS for mail fraud. They WILL get around to paying him a visit. It may not be on your time table but they will...especially for the $$ involved.

Good luck...Darren

Would you poke an injured animal in the woods...his home turf? Maybe so...but not me. I would also not ask anyone else to do it either. Deal with the police. The wheels of justice move slowly but they do move.
Last edited by kf9z on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kf9z

Post by kf9z »

Re-read the post from Adam...he asked for someone to 'stop by' and get 'info'. That is a big no-no. Never put yourself in harms way unless it is to protect the life of someone in danger. NEVER VISIT THIS MANS HOUSE unless you are a police officer or FBI or USPS investigating the case or situation.

I have no issue with helping out by calling or e-mailing but the request for help in other methods is out of line. I hope others do help...but not by visiting Greg Bulter.

Darren
Last edited by kf9z on Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

I always want to give credit where it is due: so I want to thank a Louisville ham (which whom I spoke) who did make some phone calls ... & who was going to go further, but could not because of a medical emergency in his family. THANKS BILL! I really appreciate it!
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

Today, JOHN HESSE (KF4IZS) contacted me and Adam. He is a Louisville area ham radio operator. This guy is absolutely awesome! He has really, really, really stepped up to the plate for fellow hams.

A special thanks to John! Brother, we appreciate you.
na6m

According the to the FCC ULS:

Post by na6m »

n4zkf

Got me also

Post by n4zkf »

Mr. Butler also got me for $800 for this radio. I paid with a postal MO so the
post master here is looking into seeing what he can do.

Good thing he moved to CO. My brother-in-law lives in Stanford, KY.
6'4" and 300 lbs. He "wanted" to pay him a visit.

73 Dave
n4zkf
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Greg Butler has NOT moved to Colorado, that address is incorrect, it is someone elses address. I believe he is still at the same address in Kentucky. I am waiting for some paperwork and then I am going after him tooth and nail.

Adam Farber W4AJF
n4zkf

Not moved

Post by n4zkf »

Let me know if you want some help Adam. It's not about the money at this point I have pretty much written it off at this point but I'll spent more to get less.

73 Dave
n4zkf
Daytona Beach
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Dave, how about if you e-mail me your details. I am waiting for his bad check to come back, then I am calling the District Attorney, etc, and I will gather all the information for all the people he ripped off, that should help with the procedure. Please e-mail me at: adamf@eeco.com

That goes for anyone else who got ripped off by Greg Bultler, please e-mail as specfically as you can.

Thanks,

Adam Farber
n4zkf

Post by n4zkf »

The entire email chain between him and I has been sent to you with the history.

Dave
W4AJF

Finally Paid by Greg Butlers parents!

Post by W4AJF »

Well folks, I got lucky. It seems Greg Butlers parents are good people and decided to clear their sons debt. They hired an attorney and I contacted him and at his request I forwared him a copy of my bank check that Greg Butler deposited, a copy of the bad check that Greg Butler gave me, and all the information about the transaction. I just received a check for the full amount owed me, $1,000.00 so I am satisfied and Greg Butler no longer owes me any money, the debt is cleared. Luckily there are still some good people left out there! Thanks for all who listened.
Anyone still needing help with this issue please contact me.
Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com