Help with Greg Butler KI4OQP, buyer beware?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4AJF

Help with Greg Butler KI4OQP, buyer beware?

Post by W4AJF »

Hi all, on July 25th I sent Greg Butler KI4OQP in Louisville, KY, $1000.00 for a Kenwood radio he had advertised. I then e-mailed him on Friday July 28th to ask if he had received my check.. He e-mailed back and said he would try to ship tomorrow (Saturday). I did not hear back from him Saturday so I e-mailed again. He said he was sorry and would ship Monday for sure. I did not hear back from him so I tried to call him Monday night and also e-mailed him but no answer. Tuesday I tried to call him several times and I e-mailed him several times but no answer. Finally on Wednesday after I e-mailed him again, he e-mailed back and said he would e-mail me the tracking number in a little while when he got back to his office. No answer all day and so I tried to call him Wednesday night several times and e-mailed him, all again with no answer. It's Thursday and I have again called and e-mailed many times with no answer. I also must say that when I first sent him payment on July 25th I tried to call him a few times and got no answer and I asked him to call me back, which he did but he has NEVER answered his phone. I have a bad feeling about this one, I only hope I am wrong but I know he is getting my phone calls and e-mails but he will not respond. Here is his information:

Greg Butler KI4OQP
3402 Fountain Drive , Apt 1
Louisville, KY 40218
phone: 502-523-6592

He also told me initially that the phone number is his home and cell number. I realize not a lot of time has passed but he has already promised to ship and then promised a tracking number but has not given one. Anyone out there who knows him and can reach him or help me out?

Thanks to all. If this gets resolved I will of course immediately post that.

Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

Hi Adam,

This is David - KC4CP (we have done business in the past). I have a close friend who is a Louisville police officer. If what you say is true (and I believe it is) then this guy is guilty of fraud and more importantly ... mail fraud (which is a federal offense).

If you do not hear from him by tomorrow ... just drop me an e-mail and let me know. I will call Jeff (my cop friend in Louisville) and he will check it out. Hopefully this guy will have a change of heart and do the right thing. If not, I will do everything that I can to help. In fact, us Nashville boys love to visit Kentucky! :twisted:

73 ... David ... KC4CP
E-MAIL: AC4CP@AOL.COM
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Thanks David, yes, of course it's true and I'll call you tomorrow. Thanks! Adam Farber
K4ICL

Greg is a Driver

Post by K4ICL »

Greg Butler could a driver as well as a biker and is on the road a lot. I don't know him but found this posting by searching the web using his email address:

Phone: (502) 523-6592

Title: Personal Shipping - Great for Pets

Posted: Apr 23rd, 2006

Service Category: Driver

Service Type: Offered

Desc: Butler Personal Shipping is the fast, safe, and economical way to ensure that your shipment arrives at its destination safely and undamaged.

gdbutler@gmail.com

=====
Following the above email address leads to

http://www.43things.com/person/themusicman897

Form you own conclusions after reviewing it.

One of the items he lists there is:
themusicman897
3 things
I plan on starting soon — 1 week ago
I am going to leave from kentucky, and am going to ride to LA. I dont really want to ride alone though, so if you are interested, let me know and we will ride together. gdbutler@gmail.com

Jul 23, 12:10AM PDT
=====

K4ICL
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi, interesting, thanks for the post, I guess I better hurry! If only he would answer his phone! Thanks, Adam
WR4N

Post by WR4N »

BAD NEWS ALERT! :( I just spoke with Adam and I immediately recoginized the story that this scammer had told him: "Kenwood 2000 ... belonged to my dad ... price lowered to $1,000 .... etc." How did I recognize the story line? Because a really good friend of mine, who lives in Texas, bought the same radio!!! However, he bought it from this guy for $800. Like Adam, he did not receive the radio.

Friends, this thief may have "sold" this same radio to a countless number of hams! After all, what are the odds that ... as soon as I hear the story line ... I immediately recognize that I have a friend who has been scammed by the same guy, same ad, same scam?!?!

There have to be others who are reading this post, and who got taken by the same guy, same ad, same scam. What about posting your story and any information that you may have? The more information ... the better chance of tracking down this guy.

This concludes this BAD NEWS ALERT. More news to follow.

David ... KC4CP
leer66

Dealing with Greg Butler

Post by leer66 »

Got a call from my friend David, KC4CP, this morning asking me the dreaded question. "Have you seen the QTH feedback forum? Did you buy your TS-2000 from Greg Butler?" Well wonder of wonders, I guess there is a sucker born every minute. David told me when I first mentioned it to him a week or so ago that it didn't pass the smell test. So it looks like I'm out the $825 I paid. I notice that Adam also purchased this radio. I suppose if one of us actually takes devlivery, hightly unlikely, that we will have to share the radio 50/50. I'd prefer the winter Adam. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but I does make one a bit skeptical of a trusted group like hams. I'm still preping for my tech and on my way to general by the end of the year, after a 45 year gap from the expiration of my novice. Fortunately, David and Murry gave me such good deals on radios that if this Greg Butler deal is a total loss I'm still even with overall market value of the radios I have. Be thankful for friends and small things.

Bob Lee, Castroville, Texas
wa4cch

Post by wa4cch »

:twisted: ya think this is how he got his gas money to go to la ??????

8) chuck
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Bob, looks like we both got taken, sad that the world is like this. Fortunately it is somewhat rare. I'll post if I hear anything. Thanks, Adam
W4AJF

Another ham taken by Greg Butler!

Post by W4AJF »

Well it appears that Greg Butler has also taken money for the SAME TS-2000 from a ham in Australia, just thought I'd ad this info to the list of hams that Greg Butler has "sold" the same radio to. I wonder if there are any others. I can't believe there are NO hams in the Louisville, KY area who haven't jumped in to see if they can help?

Adam Farber W4AJF
K3PZ

Post by K3PZ »

Adam,

Sorry to hear that you got taken. You have nothing to be ashamed of as you are one of the most honest hams that I have ever dealt with. This creep will get what what he deserves (jail time). Good luck on getting your money back.

Paul Zora
K3PZ

W4AJF wrote:Hi Bob, looks like we both got taken, sad that the world is like this. Fortunately it is somewhat rare. I'll post if I hear anything. Thanks, Adam
W4AJF

Post by W4AJF »

Paul, thanks for the kind words, you are always a gentleman.... Adam
W4AJF

Greg Butler KI4OQP

Post by W4AJF »

Just an update, Greg Butler claims to have sent me 2 payments, one appears to have gotten lost and the other one was supposedly sent 2 days ago but I have received NO money from him so far.

Adam Farber W4AJF
wd2e

How I do it.

Post by wd2e »

If I spot somthing of interest, I see if it is close to home. Any place more than about 4 hours drive I "forget about it". I would rather do with out, or wait for a hamfest, Sorry that you lost the money thou.
WD2E
Bill
W4AJF

BEWARE KI4OQP Greg Butler-WATCH OUT!!

Post by W4AJF »

UPDATE! Today I received a personal check from Greg Butler for $750.00. He told me he had sent me cashiers check but that was not true. I deposited the check in my account at the bank and then came home and called the bank his check was drawn on. The manager at his bank told me that his account was closed April 28th, 2006 (almost 4 months ago) so it appears Mr. Butler sent me a check on an account he knew he had closed a few months ago. Tomorrow I will see what steps I will take to best try to recover any money from him..
Adam Farber
wd2e

KI4OQP

Post by wd2e »

Sorry to hear that Adam.
I think you have lost all of the money. I think he should be prosicuted criminaly. I believe it is a felony to do the things he allegedly has done.I know the district attorneys will try and blow you off, but be perserverant. Get hold of the others that have had a problem, so to show this is not isolated. I think a guy that would do this while every one knows who he is, probably has a past. Or could this be Call sign theift? Do you know for a fact it is ham?
73 and gud luck.
WD2E
Bill
W4AJF

Greg Butler

Post by W4AJF »

Hi Bill, thanks for the e-mail and kind words. I will definitely follow up and will call the DA and push. Yes, he is a ham.

Thanks,

Adam Farber
KA1ZFE

Deposit Account Fraud

Post by KA1ZFE »

Adam,

I think that you and I had a dealing with a radio that a freind of mine sold to you.

I am not a lawyer, but I have been a police officer and I am still a Military Police Officer, so here are my suggestions. These suggestions do not constitute anything other than my own thoughts and they are not backed by the US Army or any other Government agency, outside the applicable laws.

You should look over and review this website. You may even want to use there services, as they have a good grip on who to contact and how. http://www.ckfraud.org/

If he did in fact send you a check, drawn on a bank account that was already closed, this constitutes a criminal offense under the Deposit Account Fraud laws. These laws can differ from state to state, so you need to become familiar with the laws in your county as well as his on this matter

The proper venue for the prosecution of the offense of Deposit Account Fraud is the County in which the check was presented. This is true regardless of where your home office may be located or where the person who tendered the check resides. If you received the check in the mail, then it would be in your county, as this is where it was presented.

CRIMINAL LAW ACTIONS:
Florida. Felony - up to 5 years in prison or $1,000 fine. Misdemeanor - up to $300 or six months in jail.

Kentucky. Up to $500 fine. One year in penitentiary for a misdemeanor. Felony punishable by imprisonment from one to five years and a fine of not more than $10,000, or double the offender's gain from commission of the crime, whichever is greater.

CIVIL LAW ACTIONS:
Florida. In event of failure to make payment within 30 days after demand, treble amount owed in addition to the amount owed together with bank and court costs and reasonable attorneys' fees, not less than $50 and no more than $2,500. If payment is made in 30 days, a service charge of $10 or 5% of face amount of check, whichever is greater, can be added. In stop payment action, reimbursement for actual travel expenses to holder or agent for filing papers, and for traveling and providing witnesses to an from proceeding.

You also need to contact your banks fraud department and file a complaint with them. You should also contact the bank in which the check was drawn and file a formal complaint with them. As they are the ones who are loosing money by having this person write these checks as well as your bank.

I hope this helps! Let us know how you do on this! Any help I can give you, let me know.

Thanks
Adam
Last edited by KA1ZFE on Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

sorry adam it is ashame good traders have to put up with this. hope you have better luck than i did with the law i was told they have bigger fish to fry. it is the same old thing the law protects the the thief belive me i know i worked 24 years in the federal prison system those thugs have more rights than you do. 73s
W4AJF

Greg Butler KI4OQP

Post by W4AJF »

Thanks guys, it may take me a few days but I am working on it! Thanks, Adam Farber W4AJF
na6m

According to the FCC ULS:

Post by na6m »

WR4N

Post by WR4N »

According to a posting on "E-HAM.COM" ... there is yet another victim. An italian ham: I0MCF ... was also scammed. Like many others, he paid for the Kenwood 2000 (and of course, he did not receive it). So sad. This GREG BULTER guy is one low-life, sick fellow.
W4AJF

Greg Butler KI4OQP finally paid me!

Post by W4AJF »

Well folks, I got lucky. It seems Greg Butlers parents are good people and decided to clear their sons debt. They hired an attorney and I contacted him and at his request I forwared him a copy of my bank check that Greg Butler deposited, a copy of the bad check that Greg Butler gave me, and all the information about the transaction. I just received a check for the full amount owed me, $1,000.00 so I am satisfied and Greg Butler no longer owes me any money, the debt is cleared. Luckily there are still some good people left out there! Thanks for all who listened.
Anyone still needed help with this issue please contact me.
Adam Farber W4AJF
Cooper City, FL
adamf@eeco.com
wd2e

All Righty Then!

Post by wd2e »

Good, I am very happy for you.
Bill WD2E
w2co

Re:Greg Butler KI4OQP finally paid me!

Post by w2co »

Adam,
I am glad you were able to resolve this matter with KI4OQP. I have not heard him on any of the Denver area repeaters but will be listening. Now if only you can clear up the other matter with another one in CO. Is there a trend here with thiefs and CO. I hope not...
Regards,
Tom
W2CO
BSET, GROL w/Ship Radar, A.R.S. W2CO