New eBay scam

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
N4ATS

New eBay scam

Post by N4ATS »

Anyone see the Icom IC-PW1 Linear Amplifier that was listed on eBay yesterday for a starting bid of $200 , ending in "1" day? I emailed the seller asking for information. Here is what I received. (exact cut / paist)

Hello from Lrabtab@aol.com
We offer free shipping.

The price is $1400 for a brand new amp with full manufacutrer warrany.
We value all buyers and i hope that you are pleased about our price , plus we think about your protection so that`s why we will do the deal under ebay , no questions asked , any taxes and fees involved will be paid by us .
For payment we will use Western Union and shipping via UPS , only after we will conclude a safe transaction under ebay .

You only need to reply us with this details:

Product name: ...
Your ebay user id: ...
First Name: ...
Last name: ...
Address: ...
City: ...
State: ...
Zip: ...

We will contact ebay as soon as we receive the info. In shortly you must receive an invoice from ebay.
You must read carefully the invoice and there you will have all instructions about payment and shipping.

Thank You

Waiting for your email...

Bottom Line , its a shame these people are even privileged to be on this planet...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

How do you know this is a scam? It looks like it was written by a person who first language is not English; the translation is not perfect but it is what one might expect from someone using eBay to sell items with a Buy Now or Store option.

While it COULD be a scam, what is there about it that makes you think that it IS a scam?

More information, please.

K4ICL
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Manufacturer: ICOM
Item : IC-PW1
Description : 1KW AMP 1.8-24MHZ + 6M
YOUR HRO PRICE $4699.95

For someone to be selling a brand new one for $1400 with full factory (as he spelled it "warrany") , is in the left field...

Also , a one day add?

I have been seeing a lot of eBay scams lately , A guy I work with just got ripped $450 for a Yaesu FT-890 that the guy never had and ripped two other people as well. While he got the so called "insured" price of $190 back from Paypal , the other $260 has to come from the credit card company or something like that.

Bottom line , it is getting rough out there and hard to keep up with whats real.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
K4ICL

NOW is looks like a scam!

Post by K4ICL »

Thanks...

K4ICL
W4PIG

Post by W4PIG »

right a new icom pw-1 for $1400.00 come on this has scam wrote all over it . what is so bad they will be some takers these people should not be able to get on ebay. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Latest update, I decided to play him a little.

I emailed him and stated that if he sent me the amp (since it was pulled from eBay in less than 1 hour) I would pay him via his wishes.

Even though I contacted eBay and THEY took his listing off, this is what his response was from my email. (Actual cut / paste)

I am soorry but i can not do that.
The transaction will be made through ebay, you will confirm them the payment, not to me. I will only receive the transaction details after you will receive and inspect the product, so, if you agree email me the info I asked you in the first email.

My latest response: In the end of life , you will be held accountable for all your actions during judgement. I will see what his response is...
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

Ebay contacted me and told me the way they get these adds on is that those emails that go out and ask you to log in or the ones that say "I paid you , where is my item?" or whatever , anyways some people with out thinking log in. When you do that , you are had....

They then post an item using the name and password that they just stole , but notice they mention "contact me at...." and give another email address which is different than the owners email.

Bottom line , ebay is going to die one day , it is getting VERY corrupt and figuring out an email address and password is VERY easy now.

That guy was listing VL-1000's for $99.00 yesterday , ebay pulled him , however they are like sprinkled pepper , all over the place. eBay must be going crazy trying to track them all.
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
w1bak

Post by w1bak »

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck........it ain't tweety, bud!!!
hpadron2004

EBAY SCAM

Post by hpadron2004 »

Well it might be a scam or not,but what you see lately on ebay is the most crazy thing in the world,it seem to me that lots of people don't care anymore about prices or they do have enough money to burn and waste without even think about it,don't you guys remember few months ago theDrake TR4CW RIT that was sold for $3300 ? How about the Hallicrafter SR-400 for over $6000 ? how about to buy a Grundig satellite 800 receiver used with no warranty for $525 when you can buy it from Universal radio for just $415 refurbished and tested by Drake and warranty for 1 year? I am telling you,all kind of strange deals happens on ebay every hour.I have taken my risk buying things unbeliable cheap for one third or less of the real price and they have been in great shape working 100%,so its hard to say when something is a scam or not,there is no limit in what you buy or sell on ebay,all depend on how smart or lack of brain the dealer is on both sides.
God bless America
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

How about $12,400.00 (NO TYPO!!) for a WW II vintage 368A doorknob tube?

To quoye Mr. Barnum "there's a sucker born every minute"!
n4zkf

Post by n4zkf »

I want 4 ! Where do I send my Western Union MO ????

It never ends. BTW Bill, I need to get my 7000 over to you next week. I'll drop it of
finally.

73 Dave
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

I have been following this thread since it's inception. It appears that not much has changed on eBay in the past 6 years since I last patronized the place. I registered with them in 1999. Within a year or two I smelled a rat and ended my association with them. My eBay user ID is my callsign. For those that are interested in my eBay "history", take a look at my feedback entries.

It's really a shame that eBay can't get a handle on liars and cheaters on their site. As long as this stuff is happening I won't be back...

KM5FL