Just in case anyone thought buying on eBay was safe!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KD1UJ

Just in case anyone thought buying on eBay was safe!

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KU4MY

Post by KU4MY »

It pays to be careful, that’s for sure. I think a lot of people just fail to bother to do a little research and the feedback on what someone has been selling and buying is THE place to start. The tool is there, but most people don’t bother, or don’t use it properly. You can see that this guy has made some microphone sales and other items, as well as purchasing some really sweet looking old gear. You can’t tell me that he has no adequate antenna to test something. Makes you wonder why he didn’t at least try it out on that swell dummy load! Then, the real tip off to rotten is………. Why is he buying up so many sets of crystals to get on 11 meters? I’m sure not saying Cbers are all bad eggs, but, IF this rig, which he couldn’t test were to have just happened have general coverage transmit as well as receive, why would any self respecting Cber sell it? Seems he would be the envy of his neighborhood. After about 3 minutes of research after reading KD1UJ’s post….. I agree, even the most minimal of research would make one smell a rat on this one…….. I really feel sorry for the buyer, but, ya gotta live and learn. Unless the innerds are torched, I wonder what idiot told him that the rig cannot be repaired too?!?! There’s another item for you to think about……. ANYTHING can be repaired…… for a price…….. even if it means replacing the rigs components after just starting out with an empty(ied) carcass.
73 de Tom, KU4MY
N8QBY

Mis-represented FT-920

Post by N8QBY »

First off, many flags went up when I read the original ad. I would never buy anything where it was just tested for receive with a piece of wire. And can't check the transmit? A red flag should have gone off there. Pay $800.00 for a item that is "as is", tells me something also.
I don't understand how someone can sell like that. When I sell something on E-bay, I represent the item exactly. I also offer money back if not satisfied with the item. I normally like to give other hams the benefit of the doubt but I have been taken myself, never to hear from the seller after a misrepresented item. Live and learn I guess.
I always check out the feedback of a seller. I check out the items he/she buys and sells. If he/she is selling an item that they just bought, a potential red flag goes up also. I know that there is no sure, 100% way of protection for oneself but in this example, way to many things didn't sound right. Good luck to the original author of this post but the guy did list it "as is", as crooked as it seems.

73.....Pat N8QBY
N8QBY

FT-920

Post by N8QBY »

I originally said good luck to the poster of this ad, when what I meant to say was good luck to the fella that bought the FT-920 boat anchor, N6TKW
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

I am withdrawing this post. QTH.com has a policy of allowing hate speech. As a matter of principle, I cannot support this site by allowing my contributions to be used here.
Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KU4MY

Post by KU4MY »

ND1UJ.........Well shame on me for essentially agreeing with your original post. I have a busy life OM and as much fun as it might be, do NOT have time for a contest of urination with you. It is simply that the fact is, YES I do suspect EVERYONE on eBay, as should anyone with any sense…. That’s it, plain and simple. If I were going to invest any where near $800 in a rig, you can bet your sweet @$$ that I would be buying it off of here or the Zed and it sure as hell wouldn’t be from a NON ham on GreedBay.

To answer your question I DO NOT do much buying off of GreedBay because of what you were kind enough to locate for us and post here for our viewing pleasure. Do YOU continually screw up and buy CRAP there? Hmmmmmm?

That’s it, plain and simple, that’s my $0.02 worth, like it or not. Now take your childish badgering somewhere else, because I am not here to fight with you, I have a life…….. get back on your meds and get one! :twisted:
73 de Tom, KU4MY
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KU4MY

Post by KU4MY »

KD1UJ wrote:
I am not here to fight with you, I have a life…….. get back on your meds and get one!
Gosh, I'm glad you're not here to fight. I can only imagine what you might be like otherwise!

P.S. I'm not an OM, I'm a YL.
I beg your pardon madame, and really do hope you feel better soon. Next time we cross paths, please remind me to not agree with you....... I can't remember the last time my YL chewed my @$$ out quite so well just for agreeing with her. :lol:
73 de Tom, KU4MY
KD1UJ

Post by KD1UJ »

Last edited by KD1UJ on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KU4MY

Post by KU4MY »

KD1UJ wrote:I'm sorry you didn't like my response. But I don't think there's much chance we'll cross paths again: I'm not much for 75m.
This is priceless and so are you. Once again, I hate to disappoint you, but alas, again, I agree with you 100%. I also understood exactly what you were saying and caught the jest of your post. This has been very good fun indeed. As I do not make it a habit of unnecessarily tying up a feedback forum with such frivolity, I must now and forever bid you good day. You, will also NOT find me on 75m. :lol:
73 de Tom, KU4MY