Index of bad people

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n9vao

Index of bad people

Post by n9vao »

I have just seen again a posting of a deal gone bad with Brandon Duke. I'm guessing that the receiver of the deal didn't see the past postings about Brandon. So this is just an idea, could there be just a page that's like an index with only the call letters of the scammers and cheat's? Just a list of the call letters, not a post of what went wrong. Then if I see the call letters of a person that I want to deal with then I'll go thru the postings to see what happened.
I myself don't have the time to sit here and go thru some fifty plus pages of postings to look for a certain person, but I can go thru the index and just look for a call. At least seeing the call on the index would give me a heads up to check further.
kc8zjd

Post by kc8zjd »

That's why there is a SEARCH feature.

Posting calls without knowing the details of any deal is too ambigous... sometimes deals go bad with good people involved. They should not be blacklisted because they had some impossible to please buyer. Who justifies whether they make the list or not based on the deal? Do we all have to vote now whenever a deal goes bad as to whether the seller deserves to make "THE LIST" ?

No offense, but I want to read both sides of the story to make my decision about whether to deal with someone.
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

When you see a call on the list, then you go to the forum and read what is posted. lets say there are four postings about one person, two bad and two good. Then it should be up to the reader to decide good or bad. Isn't that what you do now? If you read the posting and it's only from one person saying bad and nothing else is there, what would you think.
All I suggested is a quick index instead of having to go thru 50 plus pages of the forum.
kc8zjd

Post by kc8zjd »

I guess I feel like your taking my feedback personally, it certainly was not meant that way.

To me, all you are doing is adding another step in the process.

You don't need to search through 50 pages of forums right now if you just use the Search feature and read the applicable threads. That's no more than 2-3 different threads usually unless the person is extremely bad or extremely good, in which case the decision is even easier without reading all.
n9vao

Post by n9vao »

The search feature does not work all the time, I have tried it. All I new was the persons call, I went to search, entered the call and nothing came back. Then I was going thru some of the pages on the feed back forum and found postings about that person listed under his call.
w5vk

WE NEED A LIST

Post by w5vk »

I also feel we need ONE list the ham equipment traders/buyers can go to to see if the seller/trader has positive or negative feedback. Ebay has it, eham has it for equipment, why can't someone sponsor a call sign list with "trading ratings" that are given by other hams who have traded with the listed ham. Maybe QTH.COM could sponsor such a listing. Sure would be a lot of traffic there!!
K4ICL

Regarding a skunk list...

Post by K4ICL »

There is little doubt that an accurate listing of the callsigns and/or names of people known to have a history of cheating on trades or scamming by lying, omitting relevant information, selling stolen goods, etc. would be very valuable to all buyers, sellers and traders. Such a "skunk" list, while valuable, is virtually impossible to create and maintain on a voluntary basis. It has been tried. There have been several boards and internet sites that provided a means to add to a list of such people.
A lack of resources to investigate and verify each reported incidence of wrong-doing and sift out the actual bad guys from the perceived bad guys or the inaccurate reporting of same, has increased risk of being wrong to the point that the cost of such a risk outweighs the value of having the list available.

This forum is a surrogate solution to having such a list. It has proved to be of value to many. Sometimes it creates more heat than light, but that is the nature of the public forums. Having said this, here are some ways to make the the Feedback Forum more valuable to all users.
  • . Tell the whole story. Be brief but don't leave out key ingredients.
    . Identify who you are talking about. If you are not sure about the real situation, don't post it until you are sure.
    . Stick to the facts. Tell what happened but leave out the personal judgements. Let the reader do the judging.
    . Refrain from adding personal comments unless you have actual experience with the individual being discussed and know more about the issue than has been already given.
    . Keep your comments relevant to the issue at hand.
    . Remember, whatever you write can be used as evidence in a court of law should the person or persons involved in the issue take legal action against you.
Large corporations, such as eBay, spend substantial resources logging and maintaining a "feedback" mechanism. Because of the value of such a mechanism to their business, a significant level of systems and legal resources are used to maintain their feedback reporting capability.

Currently, that kind of resource allocation is not possible in our relative small ham community. This brings us back to this forum. It all we got so lets do what it takes to make as good as we can.

Cheers,
AL