SCAMS ON THE BOARD/ A THOUGHT BY WN8BOB

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
WN8BOB

SCAMS ON THE BOARD/ A THOUGHT BY WN8BOB

Post by WN8BOB »

AS you can see there has already been a few things said about me,one bad thing I have found out is that GOOD deals are never much reported,my call WN8BOB EX KA8UWR apppears almost nowhere on the boards,and that is beacuse people DO NOT report GOOD DEALS,mostly only deals that have gone sour,I have had hundreds of deals on QTH.COM/EHAM/SS/RR over many years,but you will not find them,I am also to blame,I have never reported a GOOD DEAL myself,but Iam getting away from the source of this letter,if you think using a U.S.Postal Money Order gives you somekind of protection you are going to find out a very hard leson,5 of us were taken on an ad about 3 yrs ago that apppeared on E ham,we all sent U.S.Postal Money Orders,nothing was ever received,we filed complaints with the Postal service Inspectors,we were told very bluntly" WE have thousands and thousands of cases,sone involving $100,000 or more,we have no time to investigate a $2,000 minor case" the postal inspectors were no help,the individual was eventually tracked down by the Dayton,Ohio police dept detectives,after many phone calls,we all had copys of cashed postaal money orders with thee perpetrators signature,guess what?? they never charged the individual or indicted them,the perpetrator went Scott free,we lost over $2,000,the 5 of us,I still have all the paperwork..One last thought,I sent a money order to a Ham in Hawaii about 2 years ago,received nothing,had copy of cashed money order,guy moved,Honolulu police tracked him to his job,luckily after they talked to him I received a refund,but Honolulu police deppt told me upfront if I wanted to prosecute I would have to COME to Hawaii in person and file a complaint,I think it wouldd help if those of us who have had good deals would start reporting them,myself included,there is just not enough information available,hope I haven't bored you to death..BOB WN8BOB EX KA8UWR
N2PET

wn8bob

Post by N2PET »

Good post Bob. Nothing boring at all to me. Informative yes. Boring no. Thanks for sharing. Scott N2PET. :)
WV4I

Ham Radio a Hobby, NOTa Hassle....

Post by WV4I »

I usually read and don't write, but this thread got my attention. I've done dozens and dozens of deals online, as buyer and seller, and it is very rare that phone contact is involved or required, except for a pick up or delivery deal. In fact, I'd rather have all the details in writing, because, like WN8BOB, most others, this is not the only gig I have going, i.e. day job, young children, homeowner, etc.. If I even THINK a deal is going south, or becoming a hassle, i.e. phone tag, I just do not need to buy OR sell anything that bad, and move on. I do not understand why anyone would feel any differently, except for those that use this site, Eham, QRZ, etc., to facilitate an online business, and not just their hobby. Besides phone tag, price, condition, other deal breakers should include, no answers, wrong answers, bad reputation, "no DOA", "as with all electronics....", numerical scales, unverifiable call, no call, and/or generally making a mountain out of a mole hill. I know others have strong opinions about online deals, but this/these are mine. Thanks to Scott and others that operate sites like this one, for the benefit of those of us that enjoy ham radio as a hobby.