Scam Joe 847-774-8959 Herreweyer

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
gvesnaver

Scam Joe 847-774-8959 Herreweyer

Post by gvesnaver »

I've posted a warning against Joe Herreweyer of North Chicago but forgot to point out that he never lists his call N9EMC nor does he post his last name "Herreweyer". This points to the fact he is trying to hide his real identity. He is currently selling an Icom 821 and an Elecrart unit. BEWARE as he knowingly sells damaged equipment and then will not refund or pay for the repair.
George J. Vesnaver
wa4cch

scam

Post by wa4cch »

well if he doesn't give his name or call how do you know who he is :?: :?:
w4amp

Re: Scam Joe 847-774-8959 Herreweyer

Post by w4amp »

gvesnaver wrote:I've posted a warning against Joe Herreweyer of North Chicago but forgot to point out that he never lists his call N9EMC nor does he post his last name "Herreweyer". This points to the fact he is trying to hide his real identity. He is currently selling an Icom 821 and an Elecrart unit. BEWARE as he knowingly sells damaged equipment and then will not refund or pay for the repair.
Could you give us your call and some background on this statement?
w2ass

Post by w2ass »

:D A very simple way to protect your self from this kind of scam! never send check or money order, If the person is really interested in selling such ham gear. use paypal, i know alot of you do not like paypal! but they will get your money back for you if things go wrong. you can send money to anyone with an email address, I only sell and buy with paypal.

ps: im not crazy about paypal my self, but its better than sending money order that you can't cancel, most people want us postal money order which can not be canceled for any reason, thier for use paypal, its the safiest way to deal with anyone buy or selling..

Last edited by w2ass on Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
member or former member of
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
w4amp

Post by w4amp »

w2ass wrote::D A very simple way to protect your self from this kind of scam! never send check or money order, If the person is really interested in selling such ham gear. use paypal, i know alot of you do not like paypal! but they will get your money back for you if things go wrong. you can send money to anyone with an email address, I only sell and buy with paypal.

ps: im not crazy about paypal my self, but its better than sending money order that you can cancel, most people want us postal money order which can not be canceled for any reason, thier for use paypal, its the safiest way to deal with anyone buy or selling..

You need to read up on paypal. There are several ways to get burnt with paypal, too many to go into here. Most common is someone pays you for a rig, you ship the rig, they claim they never receive it and cancel the payment You are out the rig and the money and get to fight paypal for months. I'll leave it to you to read up on others:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/
K4ICL

PAYPAL IS NOT THE ANSWER...

Post by K4ICL »

ps: im not crazy about paypal my self, but its better than sending money order that you can cancel,
PayPal is EASIER to cancel than a money order! Read the PayPal terms and conditions...

K4ICL
w2ass

Post by w2ass »

i guess some of have not used paypal in some time, paypal doesnt work that fast, you cant just cancel. you have to use the resolution center, you must put in a complaint, paypal sends the seller a notice to explain why this guy did not recieve the rig, you have 10 days to respond, paypal doesnt refund his money just like that. he must have good reason. i went though this , i sent paypal the receipte from ups. the guy never got his money back because i could proof he got his radio. paypal told this ham he had to put in a complaint with ups, because i had signature proof the radio was drop off at his house, it didnt matter that it wasnt his signature, it was the correct address. maybe paypal work a little different when you used it, but its much better now. and i never had a problem.

if you did not respond to paypals email in 10 days then you do look guilty. and then yes paypal will take the money out of your account. and give it back. never send anything to anyone with out requesting signature proof, thats just common sense.

first off never send a package to anyone with out getting paid first, even though paypal. once paypal have sent you a notice that money as been deposited into your paypal account, remove money and send it to your checking account.

after money has been deposited in to your checking account, then send package to buyer, "use insurance", put insurance in the shipping cost, always tell customer insurance is a must.

alwasy request signature proof that pakage was delivered.

and if you have any question about anything and you have a paypal account the toll free number is 1-888-221-1161
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

A very simple way to protect your self from this kind of scam! never send check or money order
Nonsense! A MONEY ORDER is one of the safest way that exist to transfer funds.

A US Postal Money Order has the added advantage being enforced by Federal Law.

There is no totally safe way to transfer funds--there are always people who will defraud, counterfit, steal, scam, etc. Don't walk into a bad situation because you didn't keep your eyes open and your wits about.

K4ICL
w2ass

Re: PAYPAL IS NOT THE ANSWER...

Post by w2ass »

K4ICL wrote:
ps: im not crazy about paypal my self, but its better than sending money order that you can cancel,
PayPal is EASIER to cancel than a money order! Read the PayPal terms and conditions...

K4ICL
you cant cancel a us postal money order for any reason.
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
w2ass

Re: Huh?

Post by w2ass »

K4ICL wrote:
A very simple way to protect your self from this kind of scam! never send check or money order
Nonsense! A MONEY ORDER is one of the safest way that exist to transfer funds.

A US Postal Money Order has the added advantage being enforced by Federal Law.

There is no totally safe way to transfer funds--there are always people who will defraud, counterfit, steal, scam, etc. Don't walk into a bad situation because you didn't keep your eyes open and your wits about.

K4ICL
this is how scamers get you, buy saying in thier ad they only take us postal money orders, because you cant cancel them.

you just proved my point, since a money order from the us postal service cant be cancel. whats to stop the scamer from stealing your money? none

if a guy is in the buisness of scaming people out of money, why would he or she open a paypal account?
they dont want anyone know more info about them then they want, no paper trail.

so if you say you can cancel a paypal payment, if you buy a rig and you dont get it cancel the paypal payment then.

i only had one problem with paypal and it wasn't a problem i could prove the guy in fact got his rig, thats how simple it was....
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
gvesnaver

Re: Scam Joe 847-774-8959 Herreweyer

Post by gvesnaver »

Sure my call is VE2EWQ and I've been a ham for over 30 years.

The background on my statement is as follows: Back in June I purchased an SA-2060A tuner from Joe Herreweyer on this site. He had advertised the unit as "working perfectly". I contacted him and he assured me the unit was in perfect working order. I sent my payment via Bank Note as he did not accept any other form of payment. It took a considerable effort for me to receive the unit because Joe had sent me the wrong UPS tracking number twice. After considerable back and forth he finally provided a valid UPS number. I proceeded to call UPS to track the package. Joe had listed the wrong address!! After considerable back and forth I received the unit and began to inspect for proper operation. In the long wire mode I noticed it was not working. I inspected the ceramic switch only to find out that the switch contact in the long wire position had been destroyed. I had contacted Joe to report the concern and he responded " I never opened the unit". Well, sorry I don't by that!! Any HAM worth his salt could very easily determine if the ceramic switch on a SA-2060A is 100% operational....he lied! He then said that if I could find a replacement switch he would pay for the cost. It almost sounded like he was saying "good luck finding one of these as they are rare" Well I did manage to locate a direct replacement and contacted Joe so he could forward the funds. He agreed and said he would send a personal cheque. THE FUNDS NEVER ARRIVED! I have been trying to contcat Joe ever since and he is not returning my phone calls, emails nor the response I left to one of his more recent ads on this site. I am quite upset because guys like this give the HAM community a bad name. They are nothing more than scans hiding behind the good name of ligitimate ham operators, their honesty and integrity. That's the full story....
w4amp wrote:
gvesnaver wrote:I've posted a warning against Joe Herreweyer of North Chicago but forgot to point out that he never lists his call N9EMC nor does he post his last name "Herreweyer". This points to the fact he is trying to hide his real identity. He is currently selling an Icom 821 and an Elecrart unit. BEWARE as he knowingly sells damaged equipment and then will not refund or pay for the repair.
Could you give us your call and some background on this statement?
George J. Vesnaver
gvesnaver

Re: scam

Post by gvesnaver »

I bought an SA-2060A from thi sguy and it was defective. If you buy something from him you'll get his full name but do a search on QTH.com to locate Herreweyer and you'll see what I mean. If he sells you something that doesn't work he won't you call back!!!!! Beware!!
wa4cch wrote:well if he doesn't give his name or call how do you know who he is :?: :?:
George J. Vesnaver
gvesnaver

Scams, paypal, MO etc etc etc...

Post by gvesnaver »

There is no perfectly safe or fool proof method to protect yourself against HAMS who make a living scamming those of us who deal with honesty and integrity. Paypay's dispute resolution process is slow but it encouranges the two parties to attempt to resolve the matter amicably. If this can not occur then we get into burden of proof etc. This get's tricky and the process is lenghty especially for those of us who must earn an honest living and have a day job. Scammers are typically not fast responders and they play out the time factor stretching it out as far as they can to ware you out! The only way to get your money back through a MO or Bank Draft is to prove that it got lost. That is also a long process given an investigation must be launched etc. The best protection is to expose the scammer and make others aware!!! They usually run like hell but usually reappear when the heat cools down. :!:

r,
George
VE2EWQ
George J. Vesnaver
w2ass

Re: Scams, paypal, MO etc etc etc...

Post by w2ass »

gvesnaver wrote:There is no perfectly safe or fool proof method to protect yourself against HAMS who make a living scamming those of us who deal with honesty and integrity. Paypay's dispute resolution process is slow but it encouranges the two parties to attempt to resolve the matter amicably. If this can not occur then we get into burden of proof etc. This get's tricky and the process is lenghty especially for those of us who must earn an honest living and have a day job. Scammers are typically not fast responders and they play out the time factor stretching it out as far as they can to ware you out! The only way to get your money back through a MO or Bank Draft is to prove that it got lost. That is also a long process given an investigation must be launched etc. The best protection is to expose the scammer and make others aware!!! They usually run like hell but usually reappear when the heat cools down. :!:

r,
George
VE2EWQ
You are so correct Ve2Ewq in everything you say. Thats why i say Scamers will not register with paypal. im not say paypal is the best way to do buisness or even that paypal is one of the best systems around. But in my years of buy and selling, i have found that people using paypal will indeed get thier product for thier money sent. most scamers will not give thier full name, address, credit card #, bank account number, etc, etc, most scamer want to give atleast amount of info possible. im not saying its the best wat, the best way is to go collect the item in person and then give the cash. But in some case's this can not be done. and then you end up with something like this. It is a shame that people would do something like this to get money instead of working for it. This i under stand my self. I am on disability so i can not afford to loss any money in any deal. I try to do the most research i can when dealing with someone of the internet. They i have doing things so far have proven to me that so far this is the best way to do things. as i have never been sacm yet! and i hope i never do. I feel for most hams out here. How could other hams do this? We will never know. I just hope the next time you all see an ad you stop and think. Dont send postal money orders, for they can not be canceled for any reason. and i have never seen the postal police charge and ham for a scam yet. I will never pay for anything with money orders. If the person wont do the deal threw paypal, then i will not buy it. I will look for this item else where. But good luck to you all in all your used ham gear buying for i wish you all the best.
73 w2ass
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
wa4cch

am i a scamer too mr w2ass

Post by wa4cch »

:? well mr w2ass i guess in your humble opinon i would be a scammer due to internet id theft i no longer use any creidt cards i only use a bank debit card and i don't use it on the internet either to my knowledge you can't use these on pay-pal anyway so in your humble opinion since i only pay and buy with usps money orders not pay-pal that makes me a scammer BULL CRAP

chuck
w2ass

Re: am i a scamer too mr w2ass

Post by w2ass »

wa4cch wrote::? well mr w2ass i guess in your humble opinon i would be a scammer due to internet id theft i no longer use any creidt cards i only use a bank debit card and i don't use it on the internet either to my knowledge you can't use these on pay-pal anyway so in your humble opinion since i only pay and buy with usps money orders not pay-pal that makes me a scammer BULL CRAP

chuck
No!! I said most scammers will only take postal money orders! Cause these you can't cancel. and yes paypal takes debt cards. I use a seperate checking account with a debt card on my paypal account. people who pay with money orders are not scammers, they are usually the ones getting scammed.
People who put ads in the internet saying they only take postal money orders are the ones you need to look out for. I for one will never pay by money order for anything. If they wont take a paypal payment. Well i will look for item somewhere else. If you look around the internet now and even here on this site QTH.COM scott takes donations using paypal.why? beacuse its cheaper than having to use visa or master card. Paypal only charges the buyer or receiver 2.9 % Which is nothing comparied to the charges scott would have to pay if he used a credit card machine. for (example) visa charges 2.8 % plus 40.00per month to have machine on internet, plus 100.00 set up fee. pluse 45.00 permonth secure sgl or something like that. I think scott pays nothing for this thru paypal. I do understand that paypal will be charging only 20 per month for this service for a business web site. that alot better than 85.00 or more for a visa and master card machine every month.. If im buying something from a ham and he doesnt want to use the paypal thing because of the 2.9% ill pay it. say its a 100.00 what the cost of 2.9% 2.90 cents. so ill pay that!! atleast i know i have a better change of getting that item over someone that wants a money order. this is the point im trying to make. A scammer will not register his name, his checking account,his dredit card or( debt card with visa or master card logo.) If he intends on pulling a scam. If its a honest ham just selling his gear, do you think he cares how he gets his money, as long as he gets it. its faster infact. Once paypal tells the seller he has funds in his or her paypal account, you can transfer it to your checking account in 2 days. Better than 3 days or more in mail, and its in cash not a check. or you can leave it in your paypal account to use for bidding on an item on ebay.. its up to you...

Yes i know people have been saying things about paypal.. Well i have never had a problem with paypal or ebay yet and i have been selling and buying since 1998 or 1999 .They also say that you cant get a hold of paypal. Well paypal has thier phone number right on thier website, its been the same number as far as i been using it. anyway thats my point on all this..

If you thought i was calling you a scammer im sorry you mis understood, in no way was i calling you or anyone else that pays with money order scammers. you guys get taken is what i was saying.

Also another way to cut down on the scamming, If you know of a ham that you have been talking to for years and he lives in the same state as the ham selling the item. maybe you could send him the money order and have him pick it up from the seller and let your firend send it to you thru ups. or fedex. which ever you prefer. This will also cut down on the maount of people scamming hams out here. Just like if i wanted to buy some thing from a ham that lived near LA CROSSE WI then i would ask scott if he wouldnt mind doing this for me, I wouldnt even mind giving scott a few busk for his trouble, (known gas prices and all) its a safer bet that i will get the item. rather than losing 1000.00 or better. If anyone out thier ever buys from a ham here in winston salem nc i wouldnt mind doing the same thing for that ham myself. either i would call the guy and ask hime to drop it off here or meet him half way or something.

by the way if you did get taken wouldnt you want to know that you friend is injoying your gear instead of a stranger??? hi hi hihi :lol: just kidding!!!!!!!

to: Scott i didnt mean to drag you into this but!!!!

i have known scott for some time now.. even though we never met. face to face. we have send email from time to time over the last few years .. since about 1991 or so. and from this i can tell scott is a straight shooter.

sorry for the spelling it's about 5 am and im trying to get the kids off to school and wife off to work so i can play ham radio all day..

yes i stay at home all day.. i am on disablility (since jan 2005)so i have nothing to do after my house chores, but play radio, play in here and work on website, i do train dogs on weekend for some extra cash as i have always done, It really sucks. I have driven a double or triple axle truck for a livivng, for last 22 yrs. this not being able to work drives me nuts, i dont know how other people do it..

anyway have a good day and a better one tomorrow....
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
wa4cch

like i said

Post by wa4cch »

well you just proved my POINT you just stated that if you say in your ad you only take money orders your a scammer well thats what i do since i don't take pay - pal and never will because i will NEVER write my checking account number or a credit card number if i had one on the internet AGAIN one day it will happen to you and THEN you will see why i feel this way in the mean time you will continue to think i am a scammer because i only take usps money orders

CHUCK

by the way i would guess that 50 per cent of the ads on this swap net and all the others say usps money order only so you sure all calling a whole bunch of HAMS scammers
w2ass

Re: like i said

Post by w2ass »

wa4cch wrote:well you just proved my POINT you just stated that if you say in your ad you only take money orders your a scammer well thats what i do since i don't take pay - pal and never will because i will NEVER write my checking account number or a credit card number if i had one on the internet AGAIN one day it will happen to you and THEN you will see why i feel this way in the mean time you will continue to think i am a scammer because i only take usps money orders

CHUCK

by the way i would guess that 50 per cent of the ads on this swap net and all the others say usps money order only so you sure all calling a whole bunch of HAMS scammers
once again you must read before posting, you didnt read the whole message. here is word for word what i saidPeople who put ads in the internet saying they only take postal money orders are the ones you need to look out for.this was taken from my posted message,, so stop putting words in my mouth that i never said, Its unfortunate that scammers use the same method. O f asking for us postal money orders. When i post something for sale i dont care how they want to pay, money order, checks, or paypal, it doesnt matter to me. cause i have nothing to hide.Because i dont ship till the money is my bank anyway. SO i dont see why you and every other honest ham cant take personal check. Since your not going to ship till check clears anyway. This puts you and every other honest ham in a different category. This way the ham that wants to buy your item doesnt have 2nd thoughts about it. I for one will never buy from anyone that just wants a us postal money order.

So if you took it the wrong way im very sorry about that, But from what ive seen the scammers ask for the same thing you do. How are we to tell the difference between you the honest ham from a scammer when both of your post's look the same?
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
wa4cch

money orders

Post by wa4cch »

:shock: i give up you can't see the daylight for the dark :cry:

chuck OUT
w4amp

Post by w4amp »

I have been taking payment in the form of postal money orders for 15 years and have not got burnt yet. Wait till someone in Nigeria gets your paypal info...
w2ass

Post by w2ass »

w4amp wrote:I have been taking payment in the form of postal money orders for 15 years and have not got burnt yet. Wait till someone in Nigeria gets your paypal info...
how can you get burnt if your the one getting the monery order? Im glad your one of the honest hams that when you receive the monery order you send out the product.

But what about the guy sending the money order?
how does he protect him self from getting burnt?

good thing we have honest hams like you around that dont burn hams when they do send money orders to you.

as for my paypal account! the account has no money in it till i win a bid. Then and only then do deposit money in to that account. Paypal doesnt take the money out of the account till i pay for it. Also Paypal doesnt reguire the i keep money in it. just that i have a paypal account. So if someone from nigeria gets my info it still does him no good. Also if you cahnge you password from time to time its almost impossible for anyone to get a hold of the info.

Remember never respond to any emails from paypal or ebay, for they will never send you email about your user id or password or ask you to sign in to confirm your ebay or paypal account info..
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
n0wjp

Post by n0wjp »

Your Paypal account must work differently than mine. When I signed up for my account I had to tie it to a bank account and a credit card. If someone got my account information, they could send payments anywhere from my account until I ran out of money in my bank account and my credit limit on my card was reached. Paypal would email me each time a transaction took place, but if I was foolish enough to have the same password on my email as I do on my Paypal, then they could delete the messages from my inbox before I saw them. I wouldn't know I'd been scammed until I got my credit card statement.

Also, to those who have emailed me recently: No, Fred still has not made good on our deal. He is still a thief.

Jeff
N0WJP
w2ass

Post by w2ass »

n0wjp wrote:Your Paypal account must work differently than mine. When I signed up for my account I had to tie it to a bank account and a credit card. If someone got my account information, they could send payments anywhere from my account until I ran out of money in my bank account and my credit limit on my card was reached. Paypal would email me each time a transaction took place, but if I was foolish enough to have the same password on my email as I do on my Paypal, then they could delete the messages from my inbox before I saw them. I wouldn't know I'd been scammed until I got my credit card statement.

Also, to those who have emailed me recently: No, Fred still has not made good on our deal. He is still a thief.

Jeff
N0WJP
hi jeff

you are correct ! if someone got hold of your info, then yes they can send money to anyone thay can,

but the way i setup my paypal account is different than most people. I have a checking account just for paypal, and my debt card has the visa logo with a visa cedit card number, even though it is not a credit card. i can use debt or charge to my checking account, But now here is the thing. min deposit on this account is 25.00. i have no checks for this account, i have no statement sent to house, this way it cost me nothing to have this account. when i registered for payapl. there terms and conditions never said anything about how much money i had to keep in my checking account, so when i win or use the buy it now button, just before i pay for that item i go online and tranfer money from one checking account to the other, this is a free service from bank of america. I used to live in long island ny, when living in ny i had to pay 15.00 per month for this service, but it was worth it, i rather pay the 15.00 per month than to have some jerk be able to take my money. these are just a few security things that i came up with to protect my money and paypal account. I know some people would not do things this way, but i feel better this way, if someone got hold of my paypal account info the most they could spend is 25.00 thats it.. but then they would also have to get a hold of my passwords for ebay and paypal which are not the same. i always change my passwords every 4 months or so. this is just my way of keeping them guessing, i never answer emails from ebay or paypal. i just delete them. i only get email from people on my safe list so half the emails from scammers i never get anyway. if your not on my list i never see it. I know most people wont agree with my method of my security system but it works for me.. goodluck though with what ever system you use, But i would never give paypal access to my regular checking account or credit card. because , yes if the wrong person got hold of it they could spend money till it was all gone yes you are correct..
73 de w2ass
angelo
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608
Vaga-bond 454
w2ass@w2ass.com
dont let cw die
wa4cch

has become a rant

Post by wa4cch »

:twisted: this has become a rant about pay-pal nothing any longer pertains to the original post and should be removed.......... :lol:

chuck/wa4cch out
w2ass

Post by w2ass »

i agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rafael Diaz
www.w2ass.com
W2rc
Yccc
Sera
ARRL
10-ten 60608