Actual experience with a Comet CHA-250B vertical

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w4fid

Actual experience with a Comet CHA-250B vertical

Post by w4fid »

I am considering a Comet CHA-250B vertical. In Florida we have sand not "soil" and my HOA won't be OK with any sort of radials -- on the ground, buried, elevated. They advertise no radials. Is that true?

Can I really work both the 80 meter CW portion and 75 meter portion of the band without making changes in length to the antenna? Same question for 40 meters. Will a wide band tuner allow that or is the SWR curve so steep I have to choose one portion or the other and physically adjust/tune the antenna accordingly?

I see they went from a smooth matching network at the base to one with fins as a heat sink. Obviously there is RF lost to heat in the feed balun. But does the antenna really radiate or is it a 25 foot high dummy load with an enclosed "light bulb" at the base?

I realize it's short for 80 and 40 meters and my expectations are reasonable. But if it radiates poorly and most of the RF becomes heat in the loading or a tuner what's the point? If it doesn't allow me to have QSOs I need a different option. How does it perform on 30, 20, 17, and 15 meters?