W4RTT Horrible Purchase Experience

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
KB3GGC

W4RTT Horrible Purchase Experience

Post by KB3GGC »

Over the years, I have purchased a variety of items from hams all over the country....and sold a lot of equipment, too. Well, I recently purchased two receivers from W4RTT (Randy True). Both of them arrived packed minimally using older boxes that were thin and did not have much protective padding around the equipment. The Ten-Tec RX-350 was dirty, but tested okay and cleaned up fine. The Icom IC-R8500 arrived and it powered on just fine. It is a wideband receiver so it is important to check all the bands. I checked the various bands and the HF bands were significantly down in sensitivity....the FM/VHF/UHF bands tested just fine.

I contacted Randy to advise him of the issue of low sensitivity on the HF bands and that repairs to the R8500 are difficult (and costly) and asked if he had any suggestions for a solution or to return the unit for a refund. This resulted in him responding that it worked properly when he shipped it. I responded that I have a lot of experience with equipment, have done a proper A/B test with other equipment, checked it using various antennas, and even verified all the antenna connections.

Basically, the whole thing turned into an adversarial communication from him to me in various emails between us rather than accepting my explanation and testing. Here is his last response to me (in full and not altered in any way):

"What we have is a major difference of opinion.
I'm 100% certain I sent you a properly functioning receiver.
You are 100% certain I sent you a piece of crap.

The first thing I do when buying a piece of gear; new OR used ,is open the cover and check for loose wires/connectors, bulging caps, smoked resistors/diodes, using a proper anti static mat.
With all the radios you have bought and sold, you are telling me that you did not open that radio? I frankly don't believe you.

I stand behind that I sent you a PROPERLY FUNCTIONING RECEIVER."

Randy W4RTT

I never told Randy that he sent me a piece of crap....never used the words nor implied this. I did tell him that the unit had a serious issue on the HF bands from 2- 30 MHz and so eventually asked to send the unit back to him for a refund. At this point, I am stuck with a piece of equipment that does not work properly costing $800.

You can purchase from W4RTT at your own risk, but I would advise strongly against it. He did not act kindly or helpfully in our communications and seemed to believe that either I was an idiot or that I didn't know what I was doing....and was dishonest. What a shame!

He may try to defame me here and elsewhere, but I stand by my reputation and others can look up my call sign and do research.

Randy / KB3GGC

Update: This came to me from W4RTT afterwards (unabridged or changed):

"Then your beef is with UPS, not me.

And, what are people like me?

People that stand for what THEY believe in.

People that refuse to be brow beat.

And from my perspective, it was you that was trying to do the screwing."

Just remember when you go to impugn my reputation that it is two edge sword you are wielding. And it often comes back harder from the direction whence it came.

Randy W4RTT

You can see, he then blames UPS and then tells me that I am trying to screw him. Which is it? Actually, it is neither. It is the seller's responsibility to pack things properly. If damage occurred in transit, then this is up to the seller to resolve. But I didn't see any cosmetic damage so I believe the unit was not functioning properly when it was shipped to me.
Last edited by KB3GGC on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
W4RTT

Re: W4RTT Horrible Purchase Experience

Post by W4RTT »

No, I won't bother dissing him here. It's just sour grapes.
We just had a major disagreement in the condition of the radio I sold him. He tried to brow beat me into issuing a refund and I stood up for myself.
Emails provided on request.

Randy W4RTT
KB3GGC

Post by KB3GGC »

I have the full range of emails to provide, as well. I communicated to him and wanted to solve a problem that I was experiencing with the receiver.
At first there was no answer, then when it came, the response was adversarial. I wanted to return the receiver for a refund since it was not properly working, not browbeat him for something unnecessary.

Randy KB3GGC
KB3GGC

Post by KB3GGC »

This information was forwarded to me from a fellow ham and sheds light on the problem I had with the Icom receiver:

https://forums.radioreference.com/icom- ... ivity.html

You see, it seems that Randy True W4RTT is a liar and knew prior to sending the unit to me that the unit did not work properly. Would you purchase an item from someone with this reputation?

Randy McIntosh KB3GGC