SCAMMED BY EUGENE PINCUS (N9NOS)

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
w3fw

SCAMMED BY EUGENE PINCUS (N9NOS)

Post by w3fw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:25 am

Gene Pincus(N9NOS) sold me an Alpha 2100 dummy load and advertised it as being in mint and perfect condition for $1200. He claimed that it was from a recent SK and it is in pure mint condition and probably never used. When I tried to use it, it became evident that I was sold a burned out unit. I contacted Gene and told him that the unit is defective. I asked him if he could contact the silent keys wife and get her to pay for the repair, being that it was advertised as in pure mint condition. He agreed and assured me that it would not be a problem and to go ahead and have it repaired by RF Concepts and he will take care of the repair bills. I had it repaired for a grand total of almost $800.
I emailed N9NOS a copy of the bill and he became very nasty and essentially told me to go fly a kite. He refuses to give me the name of the silent keys wife.
If he had told me to send it back to him for a refund, I would have, but he told me to have it repaired and he would take care of the bill.
THIS MAN IS A LIAR AND A SCAM ARTIST
Last edited by w3fw on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene123

Re: SCAMMED BY EUGENE PINCUS (N9NOS)

Post by Gene123 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:34 am

In reply to Murray's post, I was contacted by Murray 6 weeks after he received the dummy load. The unit was shipped in perfect working condition and he told me he was using it with his Ameritron AL1500 amplifier. After he contacted me, my reply was that I am sorry but this is used equipment and 6 weeks after you received this, so there is nothing I can do. I also told him that if he would have contacted me within a week after receiving the unit, I would have taken the unit back. During our phone conversations, I treated Murray with the upmost respect.

w3fw

Post by w3fw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:37 pm

HE IS A LIAR. He is dishonorable. He is so nice before the sale and then he turns into a devil witch when there is a problem.
He is full of excuses, resembling an experienced used car salesman.
He is only a technician and he seems to be running a business here on QTH.COM
He basically took the money and ran!!!!!!!!!!
HE IS DEFINATELY A SCAMMER.
Last edited by w3fw on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene123

Post by Gene123 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Murray
I will not reply to anymore to your remarks on qth
I did no sell you a damaged Alpha 2100 it was perfect when I shipped to you on December 8th 2014
It was 6 weeks after I sold it to you that you contacted me,
I'm sorry
Gene

w3fw

Post by w3fw » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm

More lies from an experienced used car salesman.
When you sell an item to a fellow ham here on QTH.COM you need to back up the sale with integrity and honesty.
I hope that this post will warn and help other prospective buyers about this BIG TIME SCAMMER.

w9cin

Post by w9cin » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:51 pm

after 18 years and 10's of thousand, of dollars ! ,, I should not trust him ??
is it not strange that with many and many, of great glowing reports and just one bad one (yours by the way )
that the many ham's that have been burned by him have not said a word any ware ?
another thing that makes you case unbelievable is waiting a month and a half to try it . cant believe anyone would
wait that long to try something that costly.
especially since you told Gene you had a working Ameritron AL-1500 amp there .
and also told him you had a big amp ordered from Australia
leads me to believe ,that something happened here
"Rich"

rleary

Post by rleary » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Although i have never really had a deal with Gene,thats where i think my input is important,of course he is a known "Flipper/Reseller" not a thing wrong with that,about 3 or 4 years ago a sent an e mail to Gene about a radio for sale,a short,abrupt reply,since those about 3 yearsago and his many ads, ihave sent NUMEROUS E MAILS ,of course asking questions about the radios for sale,guess what,NOT EVEN THE DECENCY of a single reply since then,not so much as a "No" "Sold" "Yes" not a single thing,you would think someone running a Business??? On QTH,would of course at least give u the courtesy of a reply,i guess i am just supoosed to read the ad,and then 'Blindly" send the money,i have not run in to this from anyone else,there are questions to be asked on ANY ad,yet no answers for me,so thus,i have not asked him about anything offered in a long,long time,just my input...BOB WN8BOB

w3fw

Post by w3fw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 pm

I am a very busy man at my business. I work 7 days a week and sometimes 14 hours a day. I am tired when I get home and do not get much time for ham radio. I did not get time to open and inspect and hook up the Alpha 2100 as soon as I received it.
The Alpha 2100 will absorb 1500 watts all day continuously , and every day till the cows come home and it will also absorb up to 6000 watts for 5 minutes and then shut down by itself and still show no reflected power because of it`s stable nature. It is very unfortunate that RF Concepts does not manufacture it any more.
Who has that much RF power to damage the unit? It is almost impossible to damage it with too much RF.
There is a total of four 200 ohm very expensive resistors and each one had a hairline crack, probably from age, that caused the unit to malfunction. There were no burnt parts, no melting, and no other problems with the unit. Again, NO RF burning and NO arcing what so ever.
It does not matter to me how much you people back up your friend N9NOS. As far as I am concerned he is responsible for selling me a defective unit.
If he is an honest seller, then he should surely pay the repair bills for the Alpha 2100 that he sold me.
The final tally for me to own a working unit is now over $2000. How many of you can afford to absorb that kind of money and not be angry with the seller.
I have the right to hold N9NOS responsible for over $800 of repairs, and to call him a scammer, until he stands up and does the right thing.

w9lvm

SCAMMED BY N9NOS B.S.

Post by w9lvm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:15 am

I know Gene N9NOS and have been doing deals with him for years and never had a problem with anything and have never heard of any honest ham say anything bad about a deal with Gene! Only person I have heard is W3FW and who waits 6 weeks to try out a $1200 tuner? After 6 weeks I would also say sorry and wonder what the person did to the tuner? Gene had some Collins gear for sale for $2900 and without seeing the gear and Gene telling me how the gear was I took it and could not be happier with the Collins Equipment! Gene is the most honest ham I know of when it comes to trading or selling! :D
7 days a week and 14 hours a day boy I wish when I was working I could have made money like that! I found that if I worked 12 hours a day and 8 on Sunday I was shot and made mistakes doing stuff.

w3fw

Post by w3fw » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:18 pm

My friends, it was no where near 6 weeks. If he is so honorable, then let him contact me and work out a settlement.

w9lvm

Post by w9lvm » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:34 am

Right less then 6 weeks said the ham that is the only ham to say anything bad about Gene! I am sure Gene is honest but then Gene is a man of his words and would not try to cheat some one like a person from East Coast! People lke you will never be happy unless you try to get the better of a HONEST PERSON!

k7jq

Post by k7jq » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:37 pm

I have known Murray, W3FW, for 56 years, going back to our days as novices in Phila. I was not originally privy to all the claims stated by both parties in this squabble, but to my knowledge, Murray has always been fair in his business and ham radio dealings. He has had experience with many radios and amplifiers over the years, and knows how to handle them. Not checking out the dummy load until his AL-1500 arrived seems feasible to me, and it seems pretty hard to blow up an Alpha dummy load using legal limit...should be plenty of headroom in it.

I understand that Gene, N9NOS, obtained the unit from the estate of a SK, not actually using it under his own operating conditions, as he is a Technician class operator. As such, was it fully tested and confirmed fully operational before the sale to Murray? Did Gene purchase it from the SK's wife with the understanding it was fully operational? Based on previous positive N9NOS reviews, I'm not saying that he didn't sell it in good faith, thinking that it "looked" clean, an Alpha product, and it must be OK. It's not impossible that he unknowingly sold a bad unit, that showed up as defective under load. Who knows under what conditions it was operated under by the original owner. Too many variables in this he said/he said situation.

Only Gene and Murray know the actual facts and representations of this transaction.I think cooler heads should prevail, and some sort of settlement could be reached that is mutually agreeable to both parties, so their reputations would remain intact.

w8nic

Post by w8nic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:10 pm

I would give the buyer the benefit of the doubt in this situation. after all, the unit in question is untested. All those who rallied to Mr. Pincus' rescue should ask yourselves this, how can a ham operator holding a technician class license sell ham radios and other equipment as good working condition if he cannot legally test it himself, particularly on bands that he cannot legally operate on? I've seen a few of his for sale post (hf radios) and wonder, does he have another ham (general of extra class) test it for him? Does he illegally operate on bands where he is not suppose to? Not to bash his operator class designation but these are legitimate questions.
I one time tried buying an item from him for his advertised price and when I got an email response from him, all of a sudden the price was about 15% more hitting me with shipping and paypal cost.
I have sold many times on these forums and have never increased an advertised price. In fact, I sold an HT to a fellow ham and 4 weeks later, he told me the radio did not work. I gave him his money back in full and on top of that, let him keep the radio. On another deal with a different ham, I sold a cw filter and after a few days was told the filter did not work. Again I gave him his money back in full and let him keep the filter. Both incidents were local transactions.
I'm not saying that Pincus should return the buyers money back but at least work with him and find an honest way to resolve the issue.

Gene123

Post by Gene123 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 am

i have never sold a item on qth that was not tested to make sure it was working correctly.
I have never had a problem with anyone that I have sold a item to.
I would never sell a item that I would not stand behind and give a full refund if it came damaged or did not work.
I can not be responsible for someone who buys a item from me has working with there
Ameritron Amplifier for 6 weeks and then has a problem and expect me to pay for the repair.
I have never never listed a item on QTH or anywhere and then raise the price.
I have all positive reviews on qth and there is a reason why
I'm honest and have integrity

WN9VMR

Post by WN9VMR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:37 pm

I have had the pleasure to buy some old Swan gear from Gene a few years back...It was exactly as described.....I would not hesitate to deal with him again...

Kevin wn9vmr
member or the ham community for 30 plus years....
cw is not dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WD8BIL

Post by WD8BIL » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:44 pm

...how can a ham operator holding a technician class license sell ham radios and other equipment as good working condition if he cannot legally test it himself,
You don't need to get on the air to test any piece of equipment. You don't need to be general class or higher to test any piece of equipment. You don't even need a license to properly test any piece of equipment.

I know many Tech class licensees who'd run rings around many extra class hams I know when it comes to technical ability.

So your question is really not relavent.
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

w9lvm

w3fw

Post by w9lvm » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:00 am

I thing you are the one scamming a honest ham! You do not wait 6 weeks to test it out and I have radios 50 years old and parts do not fail like in the story you are telling!

WD8BIL

Post by WD8BIL » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:45 pm

You do not wait 6 weeks to test it out .....
Particularly if I paid $1200 for it!
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!