W4AIN BAD GUY ALERT

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
kc0cf

W4AIN BAD GUY ALERT

Post by kc0cf »

Phil, sold me a Wilson antenna over 3 weeks ago via paypal for $48.00, first excuse was he had been called out of town, next he couldn't find a shipping box for the antenna, now he just ignores all emails. This is my expirence yours may varry, but I doubt it, another scammer HAM "" W4AIN""

Phillip R Parrish
216 Parrish Lane
Magnolia, KY 42757-7812
USA
W4AIN

Re: W4AIN BAD GUY ALERT

Post by W4AIN »

kc0cf wrote:Phil, sold me a Wilson antenna over 3 weeks ago via paypal for $48.00, first excuse was he had been called out of town, next he couldn't find a shipping box for the antenna, now he just ignores all emails. This is my expirence yours may varry, but I doubt it, another scammer HAM "" W4AIN""
Amazing to me that a 'scammer' would provide a full refund of purchase price. I didn't have access to a suitable shipping container that I would trust to transport the antenna without asking for trouble in shipping damages......So I offered and gave a FULL refund of the purchase price.....If this makes me a scammer and BAD GUY then I think you need to perform a reality check before making any other purchases via QTH or any other means.
Phil - W4AIN
On The Air Communications
www.w4ain.com
W4AJF

W4AIN

Post by W4AJF »

Quick question, when was the refund given?
W4AIN

Re: W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

W4AJF wrote:Quick question, when was the refund given?

Money was refunded in full via PayPal (the method by which I received payment) on March 7, 2005. My work keeps me on the road a lot and after discussing the shipping dilemma with the buyer, we agreed to end transaction by refund. Buyer originally wanted me to refund more than he had paid, which just wasn't going to happen.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

Phil if you refunded him via Paypal that means he lost money because Paypal charges for every transaction. If you refunded him $48 he only got back about $46. If he asked for the Paypal fee in my opinion that would only be fair. After all your the one who advertised it for sale then couldn't find time to locate a shipping container to follow through with the transaction.
When someone advertises something for sale they need to be prepared to follow through.
Sorry but this baloney about work keeping you too busy is just a cop out. If your too busy to find a shipping container why did you advertise it for sale?
The only exception to this is if you clearly stated no shipping in your ad.
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

kb9vxq wrote:Phil if you refunded him via Paypal that means he lost money because Paypal charges for every transaction. If you refunded him $48 he only got back about $46. If he asked for the Paypal fee in my opinion that would only be fair. After all your the one who advertised it for sale then couldn't find time to locate a shipping container to follow through with the transaction.
When someone advertises something for sale they need to be prepared to follow through.
Sorry but this baloney about work keeping you too busy is just a cop out. If your too busy to find a shipping container why did you advertise it for sale?
The only exception to this is if you clearly stated no shipping in your ad.
First of all, he got back the full purchase price because I did not send him a payment, I refunded his payment.....PayPal charged me a fee when I received the payment from him. PayPal does not charge any fees on transactions that are REFUNDED through PayPal accounts.....Secondly, I do not have the luxury that a lot of folk have by having to be at the same place, same time for work.....My work (Computer Systems Analyst) keeps me on the road very much. It's not that I was too busy, I just didn't carry the antenna strapped to my back when I had to be over 900 miles from home working.....Contrary to popular belief, it is not a simple matter to find a tube suitable for transporting a 62-inch stainless steel whip. Yes, I could've just glued together a bunch of toilet paper rolls like many hams I know would have, but had I shipped him the antenna and it was damaged due to improper packaging, he would still be as mad as a bumblebee in a Mason jar.....He was refunded his FULL purchase price......Anyone that says that isn't fair and honest is a very sorry individual indeed.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
kb9vxq

Post by kb9vxq »

Ok Phil but I know I got socked once on a refund through Paypal. If he did get a 100 % refund that's all he should ask for as far as money.
Although I still stand by my comment about how if you advertised it for sale you should have been prepared to ship it. I also travel for work alot and don't have the luxury of being at the same place every day but when I advertise something for sale I prepare to ship it or state NO SHIPPING clearly. Admittedly somtimes things get out of hand. That's when you say in the first e-mail something has come up (I have to leave town, etc) and I can't ship it so I can't sell it now. Don't take the guys money and then say you can't ship it. If what you say is true you were honest in refunding the money but you have to see the other side of the story too. If I sold you something and then days/weeks later said now I can't ship it you'd be upset too.

Phil you say you sent him a refund on Mar. 7 and his post was on Mar. 11 and the deal was 3 wks. old then. Did you make him wait 2-1/2 wks for a refund? If so that's pretty darn long. But if you did refund him 100% his calling you a scammer is wrong. Slow yes, Scammer no. Huge difference.

KC0CF did you get the refund as he says on Mar. 7? If so how can you call him a scammer? A scammer is a theif who keeps your money.
WR0T-1

Scammer ????

Post by WR0T-1 »

This is just another prime example of why I stopped doing any dealing in ham radio stuff.

We are talking 48.00 here not 48 hundred, get real, it is not worth the grief. If you can't aford to wait hurry down to your cb/radio store or whatever and take it home with you.

I gave away my last few items (pick up only) just so I didn't have to listen to the gripes.

People just need to get a life..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
KS4ED

Splitting hairs and cheapskates too...

Post by KS4ED »

Phil, as you have just experienced dealing with another Ham and then
being criticized to the point of splitting hairs by another...
ain't Ama-manuer Radio great?
A friend of mine had a Ham radio store a few years ago, I watched him
demonstrate a new $300 dollar 2 meter radio for 45 minutes to a Ham
customer. After completely demonstrating this radio, the cheap skate
Ham he was showing it to said,
"Thanks a lot. But...I can order it for $15 dollars less from HRO".
That Phil, is typical of too Hams. My friend closed up his shop.
He said, "let them order this stuff, wait for this stuff, figure it out them-
selves, do something wrong and then they can ship it back and wait
some more...over $15 bucks".
Some people get into hobbies they really can't afford. So, the guy who
wrote about the $2 bucks...there you are.
JD*

Post by JD* »

WR0T-1

Right on.
JD*= K6egw

An amateur since 1957.
W4AIN

Post by W4AIN »

kb9vxq wrote:Although I still stand by my comment about how if you advertised it for sale you should have been prepared to ship it.
You're right.....I made a mistake.....I apologized to the guy.....I gave him a full refund.....Guess that makes me just about worthless......I didn't make him wait for a refund at all......We discussed the shipping situation.....I honestly tried to find a suitable shipping container and could not find one....He said he understood.....I OFFERED to refund his money.....He accepted the offer......I refunded his money.......You have to remember that all of this communication is taking place via email, which I don't get to read and respond to every day.....as I said, I was out of state working.....This communication took some time. I never ignored any of his emails.....He sent me several messages in a couple of days time.....I didn't get these messages until I was able to check my emails.....So, yes, the situation was slow......But I didn't cheat, lie, or steal. I conducted the business as fairly as I know how.

I made a mistake and I learned from it....but I didn't scam anyone.
Phil - W4AIN
www.w4ain.com
kc0cf

Rebutal

Post by kc0cf »

I have been watching this thread for a while, I guess I had to be in the proper mood to "nit pick" this thing untill it's dead and buried. Here is the thing, I don't want to give a guy a bad rep if he is a honest guy. Phillip probably is a honest ham, and yes in the end he did give me a refund. Now we have that settled as a matter of fact.
Now onto why I made this claim: 1st. he sent me emails making excuse after excuse, as to why he hadn't sent the antenna. Each time he offered an excuse, he told me when he would send it, something about going by shipping agent after work, working late, missing the window because of working late. 2nd. he was in search of a proper shipping container, then no emails for 3 plus weeks. Now clearly when any of us who makes a "deal" here on QTH.com, we trust and hope that the person we are dealing with is honest, and HOPE we are not being ripped off.
After sending many emails day after day week after week, I was convinced that I had been "HAD" by Phil. Now the rest you all can peice the rest togather by reading Phil's postings defending his actions.
I am convinced it takes a real man to admit he was wrong, and has learned from his mistakes. Phil has done just that. This admission is the key here. It was Phil that made the empty promices, not I, and I can see that in life there are many circumstances that we feel that we are not in controll of, but in this case, I'm sure that a man as busy as Phil has a cell phone, (acess to email is a weak excuse) it would have been a simple thing to call me while "out of town", explain his circumstances to me, and "BAM", we wouldn't even be wasting our time following this worthless thread would we?
Enoungh said?

I really hope that we all can go on about our lifes now, and Phil's rep. has some how been restored in full?

Happy Hollidays to all reading this ongoing post!

Michael Larson KC0cf
Last edited by kc0cf on Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc0cf

One more thing

Post by kc0cf »

I had just one other thaught I wanted to share.

My purpose in making a BAD GUY ALERT, was not to defame a good ham's rep. It was however intended to help others not to be taken in and cheated like I felt I was at the time.
After over 3 weeks of being totally ignored, I felt I owed it to this fourm to report my expierence.
Now I am REALLY done. :roll:

Michael KC0CF