K5AH callsign being used by a scammer

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
va3ts

K5AH callsign being used by a scammer

Post by va3ts »

I have a want ad regarding an FT-902. I received a reply from a person who is
using this callsign. His answers to my questions were sparse and when he/she
finally sent me their address I was sent this.

"
Your address have been noted down for
shipping in here.
You can proceed payment through
money order to the name and address below
name: Maryjo Mellor
address: 5700 windy gorge street Las vegas ,
Nevada 89149
After payment get back to me a scan copy of
the Money order slip as I
will proceed shipping in here.
Thanks and 73's
"

This is the cell# he gave 704-315-8219, I didn't try it

A quick search of the name address revealed this on e-ham. Same name and address

http://www.eham.net/classifieds/detail/442059

My apologies to K5AH who I'm sure is not aware their call is being used. Scammers will target those who
do not have an e-mail listed on QRZ.COM. Otherwise it would be easy to contact them and ask questions.
In the future I will only deal with US hams who have a verifiable email.
n0uy

Re: K5AH callsign being used by a scammer

Post by n0uy »

I received this response in regard to my WTB ad on qth.com a few day ago. It is word for work to the one listed in the other post.

Obviously this is a failed attempt that I almost fell for except for the odd way in which they scammer responded. These idiots are still at it.

Ray N0UY

Your address have been noted down for
shipping in here.
You can proceed payment through
money order to the name and address below
name: Maryjo Mellor
address: 5700 windy gorge street Las vegas ,
Nevada 89149
After payment get back to me a scan copy of
the Money order slip as I
will proceed shipping in here.
Thanks and 73's
NZ8J

Post by NZ8J »

Still is as of last night, responded within an hour of a want ad I placed. Same MO as the others. Also had a response to the same ad from WD5GPT, Michael Burkett for the same ad within the same timeframe. He included a photo from an internet sale years ago. It's been my experience if you are looking for something, especially something not real common, most of the responses you receive within the first hour or so are usually a scam. If you further check the calls for the most part they are pirated calls that have very few lookups on QRZ and normally don't have an email address listed on QRZ. I don't know what's changed or why its changed but its a sad state of affairs.
Tim
NZ8J
KD0ZBC

Post by KD0ZBC »

Tried to get me two months ago ....all so a want ad ..same address ...