someone using W9VC call in a buying scam

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k5yy

Post by k5yy »

I had a spammer today wanting to buy a microphone item I have on QTH.com, and the reply came from W9VC supposedly, but turns out the IP was from out of the USA and the spammer wanted to send me a cashiers check within 3-5 days and for me to send package to Texas. The real W9VC shows on QTH.com to be in Indiana! Beware of scammers using some ham's call sign and wanting to send a cashiers check and then send the package to a strange address. I have notified W9VC of the spam IP address that was used and found it was from outside the USA, including Nigeria and Australia very recently.
Hope QTH.com will check this out further.... the IP address was 37.139.68.4. BEWARE and check out the points brought up on Safe Trading Tips at top of QTH.Com home page. Read ALL the points to evaluate when making a deal with anyone, even if a ham call is given. Check things out !! Look at the IP given by QTH.com as the one which is inquiring about an ad ...
San K5YY
kd8fzh

Re: someone using W9VC call in a buying scam

Post by kd8fzh »

Fellow Ham's, this individual has attempted to conduct business with me by offering to purhchase some books. He initially informed me that he would utilize a cashiers check for payment. However, after a few days, he sent a follow-up mail indicating his secretary send the wrong amount in funds and then asked me to send the balance back to him.

Then, I received an e-mail from him today specifying requirements to remit the remainder in funds to an address via Western Union. After conducting a IP trace check, it has been determined his e-mail did not origniate from any location with the United States. Here is the message I sent back to the person pretending to be Bill, therefore, any over 18 is encouraged not to read the following message! In contrast, however, the real Bill and-or any person that knows what might be causing this chos confusion is encouraged to contact KD8FZH at wylcradio@hotmail.com

Again, I ask to not be offended by the :roll: left in this message!

Ok, Bill, there has been some scamming going on. I cannot verify any authenticity of the correspondence. The call-sign is legitimate, however, the ham operators call-sign has been used by a scammer recently, therefore, I cannot proceed with this transaction unless the funds are sent utilizing a U.S. Postal Money Order, Paypal, Personal check, and not a cashiers check.

Conclusively, there have been reports of this scammer, and if you are the scammer using the call-sign of an amateur radio operator, then I pity your d( ;) As::). However, if you are not attempting to engage in unlawful activity, then I would suggest my returning the check to you would be of best in interest.

People don't understand that this Bu((__) is time consuming, especially, with someone who runs on stringent scheduling. I am constantly involved in academics and things that I must do myself since becomming divorced; house cleaning, washing, preparing my meals, academics, and other work duties. I am not a chronic complainer, however, this is awful confusion.
The Following was Copied and Pasted from QTH Discussion forum:

Copied from QTH FORUM

Postby k5yy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:00 am
I had a spammer today wanting to buy a microphone item I have on QTH.com, and the reply came from W9VC supposedly, but turns out the IP was from out of the USA and the spammer wanted to send me a cashiers check within 3-5 days and for me to send package to Texas. The real W9VC shows on QTH.com to be in Indiana! Beware of scammers using some ham's call sign and wanting to send a cashiers check and then send the package to a strange address. I have notified W9VC of the spam IP address that was used and found it was from outside the USA, including Nigeria and Australia very recently.
Hope QTH.com will check this out further.... the IP address was 37.139.68.4. BEWARE and check out the points brought up on Safe Trading Tips at top of QTH.Com home page. Read ALL the points to evaluate when making a deal with anyone, even if a ham call is given. Check things out !! Look at the IP given by QTH.com as the one which is inquiring about an ad ...
San K5YY
k5yy

Thanks
Sincerely:
Mark A. Clay S.R.

IP TRACE TESTIP Details for 37.139.68.4

This information should not be used for emergency purposes, trying to find someone's exact physical address, or other purposes that would require 100% accuracy. Please read about geolocation accuracy for more information.

General IP Information

IP: 37.139.68.4
Decimal: 629883908
Hostname: 37.139.68.4
ISP: Vpnsecure Pty Ltd
Organization: Sanity Technology Pty
Services: None detected
Type:
Assignment: Static IP
Blacklist:
Geolocation Information

State/Region: Queensland