phone numbers on for sale adds

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W4PIG

phone numbers on for sale adds

Post by W4PIG »

this is just my own personel opinion if add doest have a phone number to call i will not respond to the add i like talking to the person who is selling. again this my opinion have a great 4th of july and pray for our troops 73s de w4pig :D :D :D
K9XR

Re: phone numbers on for sale adds

Post by K9XR »

Everybody has their opinions on this. For instance, if I put an ad on right now (1AM) with my phone number should I really be willing to answer the phone and talk to someone about a radio? I seldom deal with guys who say phone numbers only because most of the time I get an answering machine and even if I leave a message I seldom get called back. If I am selling something for big bucks I have no problem talking to someone. But if I am selling a new piece of coax, how much more information does a guy need to know about that. There is one W9 here who is notorious for posting "Call Me, I don't read my emails". Well he sent me an email about buying a $2000 radio from me and asked me to call him. i did and was kept on the phone for an hour and a half. He told me he would call me the next day and we would get together because he wanted my radio. Guess What? I never heard from him again. I have spent so much time and effort making phone calls, sending more pictures, and making more phone calls and being told the check is in the mail, and all of that. Another thing is I don't really like guys (ham or not) coming to my house if I don't know them. I have a couple of reasons for that. Number one is that it is a crazy world now and you never know who you are dealing with. Number two is I have had guys stay here for 5 Hours when making a trade (Honest). I hate to have to ask someone to leave because I have some things to do and I shouldn't have to do that. Another reason is that although I am not wealthy by any stretch, I like to keep what I have and don't need anybody to see what I have here if I don't know them. I can learn a lot about a person just from Googling their call, so there are exceptions to every rule.
kk7cox

Re: phone numbers on for sale adds

Post by kk7cox »

I for one don't want my cell phone (only phone) number posted on a public forum available for web crawlers and spammers. If you are interested at all in what I have listed for sale and send me an email I will likely reply with my phone number... unless you are clearly just kicking the tires, making an unreasonable offer, or asking if I want to trade for something I have no interest in. :mrgreen: