KI3P Pat Martini - Negative Feedback

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W0FK

KI3P Pat Martini - Negative Feedback

Post by W0FK »

I had a very poor purchase experience with Pat Martini, KI3P.

Here’s the ad on QTH.com:

"Listing Number: 441390
Date Ad was Placed: 11/25/04
Name: Pat Martini
Phone Number: 570-856-1036
Callsign: KI3P
Category: ROTATORS
Heading: Brand New Hy-Gain T2X Rotator/Controller
Ad Message:
I have a brand new Hy-Gain T2X TailTwister rotator and controller, in the original box, with the original documentation. I bought this rotator several years ago and never used it - it has sat in the box on the shelf since. The T2X, with its 20 square foot antenna rating and triple race bearing, has been the affordable heavy-duty standard for years. AES gets $619 plus shipping on 30# - I will sell this T2X WITH FedEx shipping/insurance included (48 states) for $525.00. Payment via PayPal preferred - instant shipping."

I asked some questions about the rotor, including whether it had an AMP plug or a terminal strip. I was told: “This T2X uses the terminal strip, which I ordered specifically for reliability reasons (hard contact).” [In my opinion, this becomes significant as AMP plugs were not available on Hy-Gain rotors until somewhat recently.]

I negotiated a lower price (which I paid) and when the rotor was received on December 1, 2004, I discovered that the rotor was manufactured in either 1977 or 1978 (the earlier date is stamped-out with “x’s” and the newer date stamped below that) and was a CDE-manufactured rotor, made many years before Hy-Gain purchased the line. In addition, the rotor control box had cosmetic damage (scuff marks on the case, the cork pads on the base had moved off the posts, the face had a small deep scratch in it, and the plastic meter cover had scrapes along the entire top edge).

I emailed KI3P about all this, and was told a number of things, including “I bought the Rotator brand new, from a big dealer - either AES, Texas Towers, etc. - I don't remember. The original UPS shipper number is right on the box - I saw it when I shipped it” and “I did not buy the rotator in 1978 - it was probably early to mid 90's. I really don't remember the exact time, I just know it was 'several' years ago.”

I supported my observations with clear and detailed pictures, which I will email to anyone who would like to see them. Had I been presented with the true age and condition of the rotor, I would have decided to look elsewhere. According to C.A.T.S., the age of T2X rotors can be significant. “Originally, the T2X had a specially made wedge that was much different than the smaller models, but this proved to be a problem. After several different designs the whole brake assembly was changed in 1983 to a similar, but not identical system like the Ham-4.”

I have attempted to resolve this with KI3P. However, he has stopped communicating with me. The last email I received from KI3P was dated December 28, 2004. That email states:

“Hello Lou. I am traveling and have intermittent access to my email. Yes, I did receive several emails from you with attachments. I just have not had time to look at them - I can't see very much detail on this notebook computer, and I am always on the move. I am sorry I haven't been able to deal with this, as my responsibilities require immediate attention, and there are several very pressing issues to deal with right now.

I am going to [out of the country] this Wednesday, and I honestly don't know when I will be back. It may be a week or two, or perhaps only a few days. I will be back at my office at that time, and I can view the pictures under better conditions. I will email you when I can do that. You can use this [deleted] email address, as I can get to it from anywhere (local connection withstanding).

I will talk to you again soon.

Pat Martini”

I have emailed KI3P on numerous occasions since then, the last one dated February 6, 2005. My issues remain unresolved. I received a 26-27 year old CDE rotor with a cosmetically damaged control box, instead of a “brand new Hy-Gain rotor purchased several years ago.”

Lou, KB0CJ