K8WOZ, Good Deal Gone Bad!!!

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
W0AKG

K8WOZ, Good Deal Gone Bad!!!

Post by W0AKG »

Dan ran a Ad on QTH for a 922A for sale.
For Sale; Kenwood TL-922A amplifier. New RF Parts graphite tubes, very good condition, works excellent, 2nd owner, Ser #850003,full output, presently wired for 120V, w/manual copy $875. Prefer not to ship but will deliver within 150 miles of Houston.Contact Dan at email adr below.

I answered the Ad and Told Him, if he could pack it, I woulld have Fedex Pick it up at his QTH and have the shipping charged to my account. He agreed and I sent him a Money order. Also asked to remove the feet and place in a Zip Lok bag, they have a tendecy to Break the tabs off if droped, of which he agreedd to.

Received the Amp Yesterday and was Packed very good. No Damage? Right side panel had a pretty Good scratch. I removed the two lids and the smaller lid over the Meter Board Compartment had a screw head broken off, I inspected the Tubes. One looked almost New the other didn't look that Good, so I pulled the tubes and one with the lettering was almost gone. Turned it over and what did I see? A Tab broken off of which only could happen if dropped. Inspected the Band Switch and one contact burned off on the 160 Meter position.
Emailed Dan about the problems, his answer:

Martin; Am sorry that you are disappointed in the amplifier. I will say that there were no "broken foot tabs" when I removed the feet on Sunday, I loaded the amplifier to full output into a dummy load on every band before packing it and I do not recall "any" broken screws. There could very well have been a scratch on the RH side but it was cetainly not anything significant for a peice of equipment that is 15 or more years old. I can give you the name and contact information of at least three other people that would take it off your hands that had inquired seriously.
Dan K8WOZ
Wasn't about to pass it on, so took some pics and emailed them to stating it was obvious that one Tube was not New. I would settle for $150.00. His answer
:
Martin; I kinew you were going to be a problem from the start but I figured I could work with you on wanting the amplifier shipped anyway. The ad states new (Which they are to the amplifier and with full oputput which it has.) It also states very good gondition which it is.
There will be no refund and I'm beginning to believe that you are trying to work some kind of "scam" like one of the Collins guys up in New Jersey. Considering what it takes to pack and ship a piece of gear like that, it is obvious that you do not have a clue. The tubes were bought at the same time but never considered to be a "matched pair".
What kind of game do you think you are playing here?

I've shipped probably 25 Amps from Tasmania To Western Siberria with no problems.
"New" to the Amp, That's a New one one me. Must think I'm completely Stupid. Still mention of the Band Switch. Who's scamming Who?? His last Email:

Martin; I have to be out of the country until July 1st starting this afternoon and will not have email or phone access during this time. If you ship it back for arrival on July 2nd, I will refund all of your money plus $100 to cover your shipping cost both ways "if" it is in the same functional and physical condition as it was when I shipped it. I do have detailed photos before, during and after packaging as well as detailed photos of the full output operation on all bands prior to shipping.
Dan K8WOZ. A little too late.

Before a couple of you complain about my Spelling or Puncuation, I'm 80 years Old and not a Typist.
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

K8WOZ wrote: Martin; I have to be out of the country until July 1st starting this afternoon and will not have email or phone access during this time. If you ship it back for arrival on July 2nd, I will refund all of your money plus $100 to cover your shipping cost both ways "if" it is in the same functional and physical condition as it was when I shipped it. I do have detailed photos before, during and after packaging as well as detailed photos of the full output operation on all bands prior to shipping.
Dan K8WOZ. A little too late.
It seems like K8WOZ is trying to do the right thing for you, even offering to pay $100 for return shipping. Yes, his "New" tube description may be misleading, but before he submits a rebuttal, I can't accuse him of dishonesty... I hope it all works out for you.
VE3TMT

Post by VE3TMT »

I would ask him to send you the pictures of before and after the packing as well as showing the amp being tested on each band.

No phone or email access? Has he not heard of internet cafe's?

Sounds like he is covering his own behind with no respect for the buyer.
W0AKG

Post by W0AKG »

I called RF Parts and it seems the so called New tube was 8 years old, the othe more than 10 years old.. They were not Purchased at the same time according to the Serail numbers.
So in my book, he's a LIAR!!.
N4RMT

Post by N4RMT »

I believe you're now screwed either way you go. If you send it back, there's good chance he'll say it doesn't look like it did when he shipped it. He could have photos of a whole different amplifier... If it were me, and it works, I'd keep it and fix it in my spare time. Chalk it up to experience and don't deal with him again.

$.02