EBAY LAST MINUTE BID "SNIPING" I GAVE THEM THE HEA

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
MDSUPER88

EBAY LAST MINUTE BID "SNIPING" I GAVE THEM THE HEA

Post by MDSUPER88 »

I HAVE BEEN WITH EBAY JUST SHY OF TEN YEARS.
OVER THAT LENGTH OF TIME, I'VE BEEN "SNIPED" OUT MANY TIMES,BUT LAST SUNDAY,(04 29 2012) I NEARLY GOT OUTBID.BUT I STILL WON THE
AUCTION. IF THERE IS NOTHING MORE THAN I HATE, IS THE END RESULT
THAT YOU HAVE PAY MORE THAN WHAT IT'S WORTH.SO FROM NOW ON, I WILL BUY THROUGH THIS WEBSITE. I'LL ADMIT,EBAY IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY THINGS,BUT WATCH OUT FOR THEM SNIPERS. WHAT SAY YOU? :shock: :twisted: :evil:
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

What is wrong with "sniping" ? Everyone knows the ONLY way to get a deal on epay is to bid your maximum within the last few seconds of a auction ( and deny others to outbid you because there is no time left ) . Only emotional bidders bid throughout the course of a auction.
ke5oah

Re: EBAY LAST MINUTE BID "SNIPING" I GAVE THEM THE

Post by ke5oah »

MDSUPER88 wrote:I HAVE BEEN WITH EBAY JUST SHY OF TEN YEARS.
OVER THAT LENGTH OF TIME, I'VE BEEN "SNIPED" OUT MANY TIMES,BUT LAST SUNDAY,(04 29 2012) I NEARLY GOT OUTBID.BUT I STILL WON THE
AUCTION. IF THERE IS NOTHING MORE THAN I HATE, IS THE END RESULT
THAT YOU HAVE PAY MORE THAN WHAT IT'S WORTH.SO FROM NOW ON, I WILL BUY THROUGH THIS WEBSITE. I'LL ADMIT,EBAY IS A GREAT PLACE TO BUY THINGS,BUT WATCH OUT FOR THEM SNIPERS. WHAT SAY YOU? :shock: :twisted: :evil:
I totally agree. I haven't bought anything from ebay in over 10yrs. I don't understand why people gives more than something worth just to "win"an auction?? In layman's terms "you didn't win anything,when you have to pay for it". Ebay is addictive like gambling. People get caught up in the bidding,trying to "win" and over pay for stuff really bad,when in some cases they could by the item new for less. Ebay is great for sellers and bad for buyers in my thoughts. On average you can buy equipment on here 20% cheaper than ebay. I think people get all caught up in the compition of "outbidding"someone else that they skin themselves.
KB0CIR

Ebay bid snipped by $5 at the last moment

Post by KB0CIR »

Last night I lost out on a rig that I was willing to pay a respectable price for & lost the auction by $5 at the literal last moment.
So I decided to check here & found another rig for even less, but I have not heard back from the seller yet.
It is sooooo much less stressful to shop here. :D
73 & 99
From the Prairie Hills of the Dakotas,

Jim Aho / KB0CIR
Mountrail Co. ND ARES / RACES / SKYWARN Coordinator
NW ND ARES District Emergency Coordinator
KM5FL

Post by KM5FL »

ke5oah wrote:.......... "you didn't win anything,when you have to pay for it".....
One might say that the prize for "winning" an eBay auction" is being the first in line to pay too much... :)

KM5FL
ke5oah

Post by ke5oah »

KM5FL wrote:
ke5oah wrote:.......... "you didn't win anything,when you have to pay for it".....
One might say that the prize for "winning" an eBay auction" is being the first in line to pay too much... :)

KM5FL
Absolutely the truth! When i first got my ticket,i was looking for a 2m allmode and my buddy had a ebay account. I "won" a old icom 221 i think? I gave 230 bucks for it. A month later i went to a hamfest in Mena,Ar and a guy had two of them and in better shape for 90bucks a piece and the guy said hook them up and try them! Thats when i knew i "skinned myself" buying on ebay. I'll never buy and ham equipment on there! I just got a TS 570s for 650 here,when on ebay they go for 700+ for the "D"model. The ham gear on there is way overpriced. Car parts and other items i've heard go at a deal.
WB6VHK

Re: Ebay bid snipped by $5 at the last moment

Post by WB6VHK »

KB0CIR wrote:Last night I lost out on a rig that I was willing to pay a respectable price for & lost the auction by $5 at the literal last moment.
So I decided to check here & found another rig for even less, but I have not heard back from the seller yet.
It is sooooo much less stressful to shop here. :D
Like I said, the ONLY ONLY ONLY way to get a deal on ebay is to bid your "maximum" within the last few seconds of a auction. ( usually the last 4-6 seconds ) . Only fools, newbies, and emotional bidders bid throughout an auction. If you don't trust yourself to bid that close to the end, use a sniping service like "esnipe" ( google esnipe and read about them ) . They will automatically bid for you. Also, don't "watch" an auction on ebay, just bookmark it .

It is possible to get great deals on ebay. Half the radios "radio-mart" has for sale here on QTH he just bought on ebay ! ( and I assume he is making a profit ) ...If he can do it why can't you ? .
N4ATS

Post by N4ATS »

I use Action Snyper , its so easy...

http://www.auctionsniper.com/

If you REALLY want something , you add the best price you will do , set the bid to 5 seconds , done

Works for me EVERY time
73's from:
N4ATS
18.133 Mhz.
www.n4ats.com
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

Amen .
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I've found my best way to buy on E Bay is if there is something you want and they have a buy it now with make a offer then offer your highest price your willing to pay then wait and see.
Larry Huff K0pd
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

That's another good idea.

Also, you can go to "distance" ( halfway down the right side of the page on the left side ) and choose within 25 - 50 miles of your zip code and search the whole amateur radio category to see what is available near you. If you see something you like you can always send the seller a message and ask if he just wants to sell it locally ( and avoid having to ship ) ...You would be surprised at how many sellers say yes .....You can still complete the deal through ebay and leave each other feedback.
MDSUPER88

LAST MINUTE "SNIPING" ON EBAY.UNBUILT HEATHKITS.PA

Post by MDSUPER88 »

OK,GUYS,THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES SO FAR.OK,HERE IS ANOTHER BIZZARE TWIST.I HAVE LOOKED AT "UNBUILT HEATHKITS" ON EBAY. I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME ,THAT SOME ONE WOULD BE FOOLISH ENUFF TO PAY ABOUT 3 TO 5 TIMES MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL PRICE FOR LET'S SAY AN SB-303 UNBUILT KIT BACK IN 2004, WHEN ALL WAS SAID AND DONE,ARE YOU ALL READY FOR THIS $3355.00. NOW WHO WOULD BE STUPID TO PAY THAT KIND MONEY FOR A KIT THAT SELLS FOR $399.95 BACK IN 1974?. MY LATE DAD ONCE TOLD ME,"A FOOL AND HIS MONEY,ARE SOON PARTED" NOW I AM HAVING TROUBLE W/PAYPAL.THEY
INFORMED ME THAT I HAD REACHED MY SENDING LIMIT OF OVER$10,000.00. THIS CAME AS A TOTAL SURPRIZE TO ME. THEY TOLD ME THAT ORDER TO FIX THIS IS THAT I HAVE TO HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT.
BECAUSE, NOWADAYS YOU CAN BUY A "MONEYPAK GREENDOT" CARD
FOR UP TO $1100.00 AND PUT IT ON YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND THE MONEY IS IN YOUR ACCOUNT INSTANTLY..WELL THAT SOUND GREAT BUT
WHAT GIVES PAYPAL THE RIGHT TO PLACE RESTRICTIONS ON YOUR ACCOUNT? YES, YOU CAN USE YOUR DEBIT CARD,W/NO RESTRICTIONS
DO I HAVE ANY RECOURSE? WHAT SAY YOU?
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

It's there business so they have the right to regulate any way they see best benefits them. And i've had a account with them for i believe 12 years and always thought they required a bank account. By the way writing in BOLD CAPS is considered shouting. And do you have a Ham call?
Larry Huff K0pd
MDSUPER88

ebay

Post by MDSUPER88 »

To K0PD. IT IS K6DFW
w8jn

stupid people

Post by w8jn »

The only stupid people on ebay are ones who bid before the last 5 seconds of the auction. All they do is run up the price. Happy bidding.
Paul w8jn
MDSUPER88

RE:Stupid People/Paul W8JN

Post by MDSUPER88 »

YOU KNOW, THAT IS WHAT I WAS THINKIN LAST SUN (04 29 12) when i was in the last 5 minutes, the current bid was $50.00.hoping it would hold up in the
final minute,but, when I clicked the refresh button,it shot up to $73.50.then at the last 10 seconds it shot up to $75.00 in which was my max bid.that got my blood boiling. :evil: :roll: That was the straw that broke the Camel's back. :shock: that is when I decided to cancel eBay.From now on i will buy or sell on"QTH".Period!
wb3cez

Last second bidding on ebay

Post by wb3cez »

There are several auction sites such as gunbroker.com who have what they call a "15 minute" rule. Any last second bids will automatically extend the ending of the auction by 15 minutes more. This totally eliminates sniping. Ebay knows this but for some reason will not embrace this option. As others have said, the best way to bid is to throw in your maximum bid all at once. Nickel and dime bidders rarely win. This is from someone who has been on ebay for over 12 years and has seen it all with over 4000 transactions. [/b]
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Wow - can't believe what I am reading! Member's complaining about being outbid? I have won a bunch of stuff - all at a good price. Yes, I snipe - why not? It is all about getting something at a good (in your opinion) price. Gosh, there is simply no way to "overpay" for something (or anything) on EBay - you are the one that bids what YOU want to pay - period. You are the one making the final decision - live with it.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

KE3W wrote:Wow - can't believe what I am reading! Member's complaining about being outbid? I have won a bunch of stuff - all at a good price. Yes, I snipe - why not? It is all about getting something at a good (in your opinion) price. Gosh, there is simply no way to "overpay" for something (or anything) on EBay - you are the one that bids what YOU want to pay - period. You are the one making the final decision - live with it.
I have also won a few great things on ebay. Some people just don't get how the bidding process works on ebay ( and just might never it seems ).

Why limit yourself ? If I want to buy a car I go look all over town, the paper, etc...not just in one place.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

WB6VHK wrote:I have also won a few great things on ebay. Some people just don't get how the bidding process works on ebay ( and just might never it seems ). Why limit yourself ? If I want to buy a car I go look all over town, the paper, etc...not just in one place.
I tell ya what - I went (thank goodness I am over it) through a "collection" mode for a while. :D I wanted everything original on my Heathkit QRP rig (keyer and everything). I would have never found all that gear without EBay. Yea, on a few items I probably paid more then they were worth - but that was my decision.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

KE3W wrote>>>I tell ya what - I went (thank goodness I am over it) through a "collection" mode for a while. I wanted everything original on my Heathkit QRP rig (keyer and everything). I would have never found all that gear without EBay. Yea, on a few items I probably paid more then they were worth - but that was my decision.<<<<

And that is what it's all about. If you were willing to pay a higher price to get what you needed then the point is you got it and was satisfied. If i want something bad enough and am willing to pay a higher price to get it,and it was what i expected, then fine as long as i don't go complaining about it later after all it was my decision.
Larry Huff K0pd
W1RPR

Sniping...

Post by W1RPR »

Am really confused with why people are complaining that they are bidding on an item and losing it at the last minute. The person who bids the most for the item will be the winner, whether that is during the first few seconds after the item or during the last few seconds before the auction expires. Why would it bother someone if somebody else "overpays" (in your opinion) for an item. I think K0PD's strategy is the way to go; just bid the maximum amount you want to pay and wait and see.

My 2 cents,
Ron, W1RPR
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

It's surprising how many people just can't seem to figure this one out .....

That's my 3 cents ( I just outbid you ) !
ke5oah

ebay

Post by ke5oah »

I have read alot of good advise about how to bid on ebay. The thing of it is i have a price in my mind what something is worth and i don't pay anymore than that. I never want anything enough to give to much for it. I have learned to live without alot of things with that thinking. If you overpay for stuff,no one is going to give your money back when its time to sell. I see alot of guys give way to much for a radio and then get mad because they can't sell it and ever break close to even. Most hams say they are conservitives,but they are liberals when it comes to ham gear and they spending the like gov't to get it. My proof of that is watching ebay,and i always go see the inflated ebay price the subtract 20% and thats what its worth elsewhere.Most if the time you can find it easy 20% less on other sites with shipping.
MDSUPER88

FOLLOW UP ON THE ON MY LOSS LAST SUNDAY (04 29 12)

Post by MDSUPER88 »

BTW, THIS AUCTION WAS FOR THE KENWOOD TR7625 2 METER RADIO. 8)