Selling by money order only - sorry we couldn't make it work

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K9RLB

Selling by money order only - sorry we couldn't make it work

Post by K9RLB »

I recently inquired about a money order only item. I messaged the seller, and he replied with a shipping cost. So far, so good. I asked to verify, is your callsign address good on QRZ - his reply was he did not know. Now, at this point, I become suspecious. People selling, if you want a money order only, it would be ignorant for any buyer to send it to a non verified address! That just reeks of scam! The seller never did give me an address to send a payment to, I guess I am supposed to call Mrs.Cleo for a psychic prediction to find an address, being the call sign address may, or not be, current. Anyway, he seems to have been angered by my questions because he no longer wants to deal - - it is, if he has to provide an address for me to send a money order, as that is his only form of payment, then that is a deal breaker.....? Okay - here is what needs said. If you want a money order only for payment, expect people to ask questions to protect themselves. Buyers will expect your ham call address to match where the money order is going. You should answer questions, and keep your call address current to help protect fellow hams from scams. If you are legit, you keep your address current as per fcc regulations, and because it is just a good idea - and if selling, figure that people are taking a chance with a money order, so do your part to answer questions to earn their trust, since your are asking for their trust blindly!
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

I could be wrong ( and if I am please let me know ! ) but I thought you did not need to notify the FCC if you moved ?

I moved a few years ago so my callbook address is not current, Do I need to inform the FCC ?
NJ1K

Post by NJ1K »

I believe the FCC requires you to keep your address current in their database. If you don't it's a violation of part 97...
K9RLB

If sell by M/O isn't it just common courtesy? See 97.23

Post by K9RLB »

WB6VHK wrote:I could be wrong ( and if I am please let me know ! ) but I thought you did not need to notify the FCC if you moved ?

I moved a few years ago so my callbook address is not current, Do I need to inform the FCC ?
§ 97.23 Mailing address.

Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name and mailing address. The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.

[63 FR 68979, Dec. 14, 1998]