LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package Deal

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
n2gbt

confused

Post by n2gbt »

Cant help but chime in here since I horsetrade alot-
The selling price has NOTHING to do with the condition of the equipment.
Why does everything always come down to nickels and dimes vs integrity
The antenna doesnt work- buy the guy a new antenna- split the cost- work it out- instead of saying- hey you negotiated a lower price then I wanted- too bad.
If he paid full asking price the situation still remains- an antenna that dont work. Jeesus were talking what 40-50.00 for an antenna- actually probably much less if aftermarket.

I just sold a parts radio on here to someone- it wasnt what he expected- ya know what- send it back- at my expense- and accept a full refund. I dont care if youre right- I am right- I dont care if it costs me money- or if I loose money--
Youre not happy as the buyer-period.

Youre getting out of the hobby-- then at least for gods sake leave the hobby knowing your last transaction was a memorable one for another ham.

ah jeez.
K4ICL

Huh?

Post by K4ICL »

With all due respect, isn't it true that if one gets "low balled," it is the seller's fault? The seller only gets "low balled" when he ACCEPTS the "low ball" offer!

So, if the delivered goods has a defect, the seller can NOT play the I-was-low-balled card. It is not the buyer's fault the seller accepted the deal and it is not the seller's fault part of the package, purchased from the seller, is defective.

In this case, it is the seller's responsibility to make good on his part of the deal--to ship the goods to the buyer, working as advertised.

'nuff said.

K4ICL
NJ1K

Post by NJ1K »

Seems to me he gave the buyer the option of returning it for a refund. I'm not clear on why you are all beating up the seller here. He gave the buyer the choice; accept it as is or return it for a refund. Sounds perfectly fair to me.

Considering how many here like to beat each other to death over nothing, I'm sure glad I don't sell equipment here.

And before any of you make the remark, "What business is it if yours?", I'll post here anything I want that is allowed by the site owner.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

RFC558 wrote:W2LEW offered him a refund if he returns the radio and accessories.

So he is standing behind the deal!

if you are not happy with the radio, return it.

Why should Lew buy an antenna at this point?

Lew is doing the right thing
What if the seller buys a new antenna, sends it to the buyer and the problem is still there ? Should the buyer send the radio for repair and bill the seller ? This could go on and on....In my opinion there is a good chance the antenna is not even the problem, sounds like the buyer is assuming it is. Lew offered the guy his money back.
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

AND the seller posted that he included an alternate antenna with the radio anyhow.

The seller is done with this sale, I would not even offer a refund any longer since the buy does have the aftermarket antenna.

I think the seller simply meant, you got it for a fair price and there is NO WAY the seller is going to spend $70 for the stock antenna when he already included an operational antenna with the deal. I am sure everyone here will say they will spend that $70 to make the buyer happy, I do not believe it though

The buyer has an operational radio with an antenna,

How about this, maybe the buyer is scamming him out of an antenna? Maybe the buyer had a bad TH-F6A and antenna so he is trying to pull a scam on the seller?

If the buyer was Martyn you would all believe he was a scammer!
NJ1K wrote:Seems to me he gave the buyer the option of returning it for a refund. I'm not clear on why you are all beating up the seller here. He gave the buyer the choice; accept it as is or return it for a refund. Sounds perfectly fair to me.

Considering how many here like to beat each other to death over nothing, I'm sure glad I don't sell equipment here.

And before any of you make the remark, "What business is it if yours?", I'll post here anything I want that is allowed by the site owner.
K4ICL

Answer

Post by K4ICL »

Seems to me he gave the buyer the option of returning it for a refund.
Looking at the issue from a fairness standpoint, settling a minor issue, such as the case here, by forcing the buyer to pack and ship the entire shipment back and wait for return of funds is inappropriate.

The cost in resources to pack everything for shipping and having it shipped back is not worth the return benefit and, therefore, is not a good-faith settlement. The appropriate settlement, in my opinion, would be for the seller to replace the defective item, as it is an easily replaced accessory.
I'm not clear on why you are all beating up the seller here.
"Beating up," as you have inaccurately chosen to put it, is my attempt to share some sane "rules of the road" in hopes of securing a fair settlement all concerned parties.

Keep in mind this would never had been "aired" on this site, if the seller had done the right thing from the get-go. Instead, it has escalated to a public forum, one that I monitor.

K4ICL
WB6VHK

Re: Answer

Post by WB6VHK »

K4ICL wrote:
Seems to me he gave the buyer the option of returning it for a refund.
Looking at the issue from a fairness standpoint, settling a minor issue, such as the case here, by forcing the buyer to pack and ship the entire shipment back and wait for return of funds is inappropriate.

The cost in resources to pack everything for shipping and having it shipped back is not worth the return benefit and, therefore, is not a good-faith settlement. The appropriate settlement, in my opinion, would be for the seller to replace the defective item, as it is an easily replaced accessory.
I'm not clear on why you are all beating up the seller here.
"Beating up," as you have inaccurately chosen to put it, is my attempt to share some sane "rules of the road" in hopes of securing a fair settlement all concerned parties.

Keep in mind this would never had been "aired" on this site, if the seller had done the right thing from the get-go. Instead, it has escalated to a public forum, one that I monitor.

K4ICL
Once again, you are ASSUMING the antenna is defective ! I repair Kenwood handheld's on the bench every day for a living. I can still count on one hand the defective antennas I have seen.

One common problem with Kenwoods ( at least the commercial handhelds ) is the antenna base that connects the antenna to the circuit board. They tend to loosen up and break ...I would suspect this way before a bad antenna.
K4ICL

OK

Post by K4ICL »

I think you should offer you services to the buyer for free so this thread can go away...
k2gto

Post by k2gto »

AJ4G,
Does the rig shut down due to high SWR with the MFJ antenna?
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

If he wants to bring it over I will repair it for FREE ( and offer a lifetime "no questions asked" money back warranty on labor.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

k2gto wrote:AJ4G,
Does the rig shut down due to high SWR with the MFJ antenna?
A very good question !

This is a "cut and paste" of something I just found on the web :

I've had the F6A for a few years. Love it lots. But there's still something I don't understand...

In battery operation, the radio works normally as expected.

When plugged in and using high power with or without the battery attached (doesn't happen on low or extra-low)...

On 2 meters (ie. 147.150), radio will xmit fine and not shut off. On 145.350, as soon as I press PTT, radio
turns off and turns back on again.

On 220, when I press PTT, radio turns off and back on again.

On 440, (ie. 442.300 or 444.125) when I press PTT, radio stays on and works fine. On 442.225, radio turns
off and turns back on again.

This happens on both the A and B bands.

It only happens on high power.

Anyone else experienced this? I don't know why the radio shuts off on certain frequencies and not on
others. I'd really like to use it plugged in sometime and not have to worry about it being buggy on any frequency.

My antenna is a dual-band 2/440 (I'm not worried about 220, but it happens there too). It shows a 1.0 to 1.7
SWR throughout the 2M and 440 bands when tested with my antenna analyzer.

Possible firmware related ? This could get interesting ..........
Hammyguy

Post by Hammyguy »

I had similar thing happen with a rig and accessories. I agreed to a price worth about 40 percent less than the going rate (about $700 total) Shipped the package and then the guy claimed that a certain piece wasn't working 3 weeks later, though I had been using the rig for months previous.

The piece that he claimed wasn't working was $300 on eBay. No way was I going to incur that kind of expense on what was a working package. The buyer even threatened to involve Paypal as it wasn't "as described". I sent him numerous emails to return the complete package and I would refund his full price PLUS the return shipping.

Since it was a such a good deal he never did return it, but I'll never deal with that clown again.

Is it really that hard to peel back the rubber of the stock antenna and resolder the connections? These "rubber ducks" are nothing but vertical antennas with the ground braid folded back down against the coax.

Can't say I blame the seller. If he has offered a full refund including return shipping the buyer isn't out anything and doesn't deserve the negative feedback.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

Hammyguy wrote:I had similar thing happen with a rig and accessories. I agreed to a price worth about 40 percent less than the going rate (about $700 total) Shipped the package and then the guy claimed that a certain piece wasn't working 3 weeks later, though I had been using the rig for months previous.

The piece that he claimed wasn't working was $300 on eBay. No way was I going to incur that kind of expense on what was a working package. The buyer even threatened to involve Paypal as it wasn't "as described". I sent him numerous emails to return the complete package and I would refund his full price PLUS the return shipping.

Since it was a such a good deal he never did return it, but I'll never deal with that clown again.

Is it really that hard to peel back the rubber of the stock antenna and resolder the connections? These "rubber ducks" are nothing but vertical antennas with the ground braid folded back down against the coax.

Can't say I blame the seller. If he has offered a full refund including return shipping the buyer isn't out anything and doesn't deserve the negative feedback.
For you to offer a refund plus return shipping means your a good seller especially after 3 weeks of usage. I wish I had such luck!
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

KE3W wrote:Wow - I read this a few times and a little confused. Let me see if I got this right...

1. AJ4C "offer's" W2LEW an amount less then his asking price.

2. W2LEW "accepts" the offer and mails the rig and antenna.

3. AJ4C finds that the antenna is broke and notifies W2LEW.

4. W2LEW refuses to replace it because he sold AJ4C the rig and antenna below the listing price.

Did I miss anything?

W2LEW - how in the world can you get upset with AJ4C if YOU accepted the offer? Sorry - but YOU ARE WRONG and should be ashamed of yourself.
In reading this thread it's funny to see how things unfold. KE3W 's above paraphrase ( #3 ) states "AJ4C finds the antenna is broke" ( I am assuming he means broken ) but that IS NOT what the author of this thread said ! He is ASSUMING that the antenna is defective since he is getting a "high SWR" reading on the display. Has he done any testing ? It may be something simple or may be a lot worse than a bad antenna. The seller offered to take the radio back and refund the money...I would have done the same thing.
w7why

Post by w7why »

What is funny here is there are over 30 messages in this thread and only 1 from the buyer :-) 73
Tom W7WHY
aj4g

Post by aj4g »

Hi,

I am the buyer AJ4G, let me clear it all up and and then you can all have at it again. I bought this from lew and it all works except the original antenna that came with the unit. Every time I put the original antenna on and key the radio for 3 or 4 seconds it shuts down of high swr. I can put the aftermarket antenna on and it works fine. I also have a aeroflex 3902 service monitor that I use in my repeaters sites, I put the th-f6a on it and everything is to spec. Now someone tell me that is original antenna is not bad. It is BAD. I really don't care if lew wants to do anything or not, it is a matter of honesty to me. It would of been nice for lew to at least offer something. It's not the money, I can afford to go out and buy a new antenna for this radio. The person that made a statemant of the buyer scamming the seller, is completely not true. I am happy with the deal except the original antenna don't work, it is bad. I hope this helps everyone about this deal. So lets put this to rest and I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

Ralph
aj4g
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

aj4g wrote:...I am the buyer AJ4G...So lets put this to rest...
Works for me - its been a fun ride - goodnight AJ4G! :D
waco

Re: LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package

Post by waco »

How did my call sign, AJ4C get involved in this. As I read the post, the buyers call sign is AJ4G. Just wondering
N8ERM

Re: LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package

Post by N8ERM »

These are the rules of Feedback Forum.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
Please follow the rules of this site.
Terry N8ERM
Editor/Moderator
n8erm@qth.com