LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package Deal

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
aj4g

LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package Deal

Post by aj4g »

I bought a TH-F6A from Lew, he said it was all in mint like new condition. The radio is and everything else, the original triband antenna that came with the handheld is bad. Everytime you key the radio on any band for over 3 or 4 seconds it shuts down the handtalkie with high swr. I emailed lew and he said I lowballed him on the price, his price was $295.00 shipped and I offered $250.00 shipped and he accepted it, now that's not lowballing. HE REFUSED TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL ANTENNA.
Live and learn I guess, might be a nice guy, but I will not have any more dealings with this gentleman.

aj4g[/b]
W2LEW

Reply from W2LEW

Post by W2LEW »

Ralph AJ4G is correct. I refused to buy him a new rubber duck
Ralph recieved this email from me this morning.
Hi Ralph: You lowballed me on the price of the package and left the shipping to me so in my opinion you got more than a fair deal. If you would like to return the package with all the other items that you recieved for a refund please let me know......73.......Lew....W2LEW
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mar 28, 2012 9:05 AM
KA2CDT

Re: LEW, W2LEW Will Not Replace A Bad Antenna From Package

Post by KA2CDT »

aj4g wrote:I bought a TH-F6A from Lew, he said it was all in mint like new condition. The radio is and everything else, the original triband antenna that came with the handheld is bad. Everytime you key the radio on any band for over 3 or 4 seconds it shuts down the handtalkie with high swr. I emailed lew and he said I lowballed him on the price, his price was $295.00 shipped and I offered $250.00 shipped and he accepted it, now that's not lowballing. HE REFUSED TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL ANTENNA.
Live and learn I guess, might be a nice guy, but I will not have any more dealings with this gentleman.

aj4g[/b]
Save the aggrevation. Spend the extra $49 and buy a brand new one!
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

Wow - I read this a few times and a little confused. Let me see if I got this right...

1. AJ4C "offer's" W2LEW an amount less then his asking price.

2. W2LEW "accepts" the offer and mails the rig and antenna.

3. AJ4C finds that the antenna is broke and notifies W2LEW.

4. W2LEW refuses to replace it because he sold AJ4C the rig and antenna below the listing price.

Did I miss anything?

W2LEW - how in the world can you get upset with AJ4C if YOU accepted the offer? Sorry - but YOU ARE WRONG and should be ashamed of yourself.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

KE3W wrote:Wow - I read this a few times and a little confused. Let me see if I got this right...

1. AJ4C "offer's" W2LEW an amount less then his asking price.

2. W2LEW "accepts" the offer and mails the rig and antenna.

3. AJ4C finds that the antenna is broke and notifies W2LEW.

4. W2LEW refuses to replace it because he sold AJ4C the rig and antenna below the listing price.

Did I miss anything?

W2LEW - how in the world can you get upset with AJ4C if YOU accepted the offer? Sorry - but YOU ARE WRONG and should be ashamed of yourself.
It is also called not standing behind something you sell. It happens way to often on here.
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

W2LEW the others are right you accepted the offer and sold what you say was a mint radio. I think the thing to do is at least offer to split the cost difference of a new antenna.
Larry Huff K0pd
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

W2LEW offered him a refund if he returns the radio and accessories.

So he is standing behind the deal!

if you are not happy with the radio, return it.

Why should Lew buy an antenna at this point?

Lew is doing the right thing
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

RFC558 wrote:W2LEW offered him a refund if he returns the radio and accessories.

So he is standing behind the deal!

if you are not happy with the radio, return it.

Why should Lew buy an antenna at this point?

Lew is doing the right thing
That's the old catch-all with certain sellers. Instead of making it right they say send it back . Meanwhile the shipping cost to send it back will run way more than the actual replacement cost for a new antenna. All of a sudden the buyer is out for shipping cost probably both ways to and from and has nothing to show for it. Now it's a buyer problem and the seller is off the hook.
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

dont forget the seller is out shipping as well.

You see it all over the internet and tv,

returns less shipping

heck the ham radio stores charge a "restock fee" as well as you pay the return shipping

I bet that antenna from kenwood is near $80
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

nope, I was wrong

$60 at HRO, PLUS SHIPPING

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007753

You are better off just returning the radio.

Just curious, did Lew give you an aftermarket antenna with the deal???????
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

RFC558 wrote:W2LEW offered him a refund if he returns the radio and accessories. So he is standing behind the deal! if you are not happy with the radio, return it. Why should Lew buy an antenna at this point? Lew is doing the right thing
Sorry RFC558 but I disagree with you. I have sold a number of items and on ocassion - something happens to a part. I bite the bullet - and make it good. I don't say "send it back." We all know that most people won't want to bother "sending it back" because it is a hassle. What W2LEW should have done is simply said "sorry" and attempted to work something out. Instead - he took the easy way out and in turn blew whatever reputation he had. Personally, W2LEW may have saved a few bucks but I would never buy anything from him based on this sale. The funny part is - based on your response RFC558 - I would be a little concerned buying something from you now. The bottom line is if you sell something and something goes wrong - you try to work it out not say "send it back." Anyway, that is MHO.
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

Well I want to know if he sent him an aftermarket antenna with the deal, then I see no reason to buy a new antenna or offer the refund
KE3W wrote:
RFC558 wrote:W2LEW offered him a refund if he returns the radio and accessories. So he is standing behind the deal! if you are not happy with the radio, return it. Why should Lew buy an antenna at this point? Lew is doing the right thing
Sorry RFC558 but I disagree with you. I have sold a number of items and on ocassion - something happens to a part. I bite the bullet - and make it good. I don't say "send it back." We all know that most people won't want to bother "sending it back" because it is a hassle. What W2LEW should have done is simply said "sorry" and attempted to work something out. Instead - he took the easy way out and in turn blew whatever reputation he had. Personally, W2LEW may have saved a few bucks but I would never buy anything from him based on this sale. The funny part is - based on your response RFC558 - I would be a little concerned buying something from you now. The bottom line is if you sell something and something goes wrong - you try to work it out not say "send it back." Anyway, that is MHO.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

RFC558 wrote:Well I want to know if he sent him an aftermarket antenna with the deal, then I see no reason to buy a new one or offer the refund...
I remember selling a old Heathkit Keyer. It worked and looked great. The buyer said he opened it up and it was full of dust, etc. and wasn't happy. I sent him an apology and offered to kick back a few bucks to make it right. No, I didn't agree with him but figured "good will" was worth more then a few bucks to me. He accepted it and we completed a deal without any hard feelings. All I am saying is to simply respond with "send it back" (which to me means tough luck) was not the way to handle the deal.
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

That is another point, we do not know what the entire deal consisted of but we can sure tell Lew he should buy a 60 dollar antenna when an aftermarket one may have been included. Lew would be smart to refund the money and pay shipping if he is demanding a stock $60 replacement antenna

KE3W wrote:
RFC558 wrote:Well I want to know if he sent him an aftermarket antenna with the deal, then I see no reason to buy a new one or offer the refund...
I remember selling a old Heathkit Keyer. It worked and looked great. The buyer said he opened it up and it was full of dust, etc. and wasn't happy. I sent him an apology and offered to kick back a few bucks to make it right. No, I didn't agree with him but figured "good will" was worth more then a few bucks to me. He accepted it and we completed a deal without any hard feelings. All I am saying is to simply respond with "send it back" (which to me means tough luck) was not the way to handle the deal.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

RFC558 wrote:That is another point, we do not know what the entire deal consisted of but we can sure tell Lew he should buy a 60 dollar antenna when an aftermarket one may have been included. Lew would be smart to refund the money and pay shipping if he is demanding a stock $60 replacement antenna...
Well, I am "old fart" so work with me on this...I didn't see any mention of replacing the Antenna with a new original one? I believe it was stated that the "original triband antenna" was included. If it was my sale, I would have simply responded with an offer to replace it with an aftermarket or refund a few bucks. I guess what got me concerned was that darn "send it back" crap. Anyway - buying (and selling) on the InterNet is always been (and will continue to be) a crap shoot at best.
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

KE3W wrote: Anyway - buying (and selling) on the InterNet is always been (and will continue to be) a crap shoot at best.
Well, we do agree on that.

Disclosure, that is what it is all about.

The stuff I sell is fully tested operationally by me and looked over for physical flaws and I disclose everything, positive or negative.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

KE3W wrote:
Your obviously old school KE3W. Not many like you left out there. There would be no need for this forum if every seller thought like you did. I would buy from you anytime.
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

I would not make the assumption that the antenna is bad before a little testing.

The first thing to check is the center connector in the antenna. can you see it or has it pushed itself up inside ?

Replace the antenna with a dummy load and see if the "high swr" message goes away ?

Are you running the radio with a battery or from a external supply ?

You might call Kenwood support, they are very helpful and easy to get hold of.

( 1-800-752-0987 )
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

RFC558 wrote:...The stuff I sell is fully tested operationally by me and looked over for physical flaws and I disclose everything, positive or negative...
I am sure you test everything out RFC558 and sorry for my smart remark about you.
Last edited by KE3W on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

KA2CDT wrote:...Your obviously old school KE3W. Not many like you left out there...
Thanks for the kind words KA2CDT. I guess we have to remember that thousands of sales take place weekly that go without a hitch while only a small percentage have problems.

lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

KE3W i guess i have been very lucky outside of only one truly bad deal in buying. But i've only had a problem with items i've sold on two different occasions one was a icom dual band mobile i sold as working, and it was when i had last used it and checked it out. When it reached the buyer it no longer worked, he called me and asked if he could open it up and see if he could see any thing wrong an i agreed. I ended up refunding his money and got back a radio functioning like he claimed.
The second time i sold a SM6 mic to a fellow in Mich and my description did not meet his expectations so i offered a partial refund and he kept the mic.
I made no profit on either of those two items to begin with nor was that my intentions for selling them. But like you my word is good and my reputation is valuable. That is why in my first comment on this squabble that i suggested the "least" he could was split the cost for a new antenna.
Larry Huff K0pd
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

k0pd wrote:...I made no profit on either of those two items to begin with nor was that my intentions for selling them. But like you my word is good and my reputation is valuable. That is why in my first comment on this squabble that i suggested the "least" he could was split the cost for a new antenna...
I have been very very lucky. I have sold a number of pieces of equipment over the past year. Most of the equipment I purchased, used and decided to upgrade. One thing I try to make very clear is the condition (so there would be no surprises) and offer to take it back (at my expense) or work something out if he (or she) wasn't satisfied with it on arrival. I know it is a gamble to offer that but no one has taken me up on returning an item to date. The only additional cost has been the Heath Keyer ($5.00) and a QRP Rig (for some reason the microphone extension cable I included and advertised with the rig) didn't work - $8.00 for a replacement).
GALAXY67

BAD DEALS

Post by GALAXY67 »

I sold a mic once,years ago,he did not like the looks of it,never asked once to return it ,I would have taken it back no problem,I rarley make a cent on deals,I'm not a reseller,so I sends the guy a $10 bill t omake up for it,I think on a $25 item,soemthing like that,been years,if I was profit hungry,I could have just said return it and refund your shipping, I would have been ahead,anyway,I think everybody runs into a problem sooner or later no matter how hard you try.
WN8BOB
W2LEW

Post by W2LEW »

RFC558: To answer your question AJ4G recieved the following gear all less then 8mos old
TH-6A in the box with accessories
Aftermarket rapid charger with spare LI-ON batt
Kenwood speaker mic
MFJ Dual Band antenna
Kenwood aux power cord
At the time of the sale I had no reason to suspect the original ant was defective
it always worked fine for me.

Also to whom it may concern you can kick this around till doomsday if need be.
this was the last of my gear after 30yrs in the hobby i'm calling it quits. You won't have to worry about me selling anyone damaged goods ever again.
73.............de........W2LEW
KE3W

Post by KE3W »

W2LEW wrote:... You won't have to worry about me selling anyone damaged goods ever again...
The discussion was about the way you handled the antenna problem W2LEW. No one said anything about the deal or the equpment - it was all about the way you handled the antenna problem - period. Naturally, if you want to quit Amateur Radio, etc. because of the comments about your handling of the Antenna problem - that is your decision.