Angry ICOM radio ad from ALSAKA - Real ad or just spam?

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K9RLB

Angry ICOM radio ad from ALSAKA - Real ad or just spam?

Post by K9RLB »

The ad states:

RADIOHF - Icom IC-7000
Hi, Thanks for looking. I have a like NEW IC-7000 that is excess to my needs. I'm asking $800.00 PayPal including shipping by USPS Pri. Flat Rate. I WILL ship with in ALASKA ONLY so you CONUS hams don't even ask. If YOU think I'm being unreasonable about shipping out of ALASKA them look at the other adds and you will see that most are CONUS ONLY or SOLD FOR A PRICE PLUS SHIPPING TO CONUS ONLY. IF I'M BEING TOLD TO PAY SHIPPING IT SHOULDN'T MATTER WHERE IN THE U.S. I LIVE. THE NEXT TIME YOU GAS UP ASK IF IT'S ALASKA OIL THAT YOUR GAS IS MADE FROM.

Listing #975651 - Submitted on 03/05/12 by Callsign AL7F, Modified on 03/05/12

My opinion:
First, a flat rate box will not accommodate - I bet this is not even a real ad, just someone looking for an arguement.... in other words, spam. In reality, it costs more to ship to Alaska, you should know that. I have listed and been willing to ship anywhere, but then get tons of hassle due to the shipping charge being more, not to mention a higher risk of damage. I guess we are just supposed to pony up the difference because of oil? What % of the gas in my car came from Alaska anyway? I bet none, or a trace amount. THE ALL CAPS IS NOT NECESSARY, AND IS CONSIDERED RUDE. Maybe it's time for an anger management course - that cold air is getting to you there in Alaska.
NY7Q

shipping from or to Alaska

Post by NY7Q »

I gave up on it years ago because of 99% damaged goods shipped over the years.
Personally, I like "ALL CAPS", its the way real radiomen were trained to to type, and it's difficult to break the habit.....IT IS NOT CONSIDERED RUDE BY REAL RADIOMEN.
All that aside, I agree with AL7F.......and it's his choice to ship from Alaska or not!!!!
I believe he is legit,
I believe you are jumping the gun.
CW TODAY, TOMORROW, AND FOREVER.
K9XR

TROLL?

Post by K9XR »

I'd say it was basically a troll post. He first posted it late last night. When he didn't get his desired results, he modified his post to explain it better with the last two lines. I don't believe he has an IC-7000 for sale either. As for him modifying his post, they used to say: If you have to explain the joke it kind of loses its shine.He made a post on another forum on the swap board. I answered him but have not got a response.

About two months ago another w7/kl7 posted a phony ad and it was let run for quite a while. I think he said he was selling PL-259s and would ship them world-wide but not to the continental US. I made a reference to one of his posts and he sent me a PM and told me that I had a problem. I told him that he was absolutely correct.! I do have a problem with Phonies and he is a Phony.
w7apm

It's Real

Post by w7apm »

Perhaps you should check Mike out before you get in too deep. Look up his call on QRZ...If he says he has a Like New rig for sale at a particular price I am sure he does. That was me Al is talking about and calling a phony. I was making a similar post to Mike's as we see this CONUS only stuff all the time. Sometimes from the northwest U.S where it is closer to ship to us than the U.S east coast! We are used to paying higher shipping costs here many times and expect it and I wouldn't think Alaska hams would complain anymore than anywhere about shipping costs. If you set a fixed price on shipping and exclude shipping outside of the lower 48 we understand that but to say something is for sale for a given price plus shipping and conus only that I don't understand. I don't know of any commercial dealers that won't ship here...
By the way Al why do you attack people you don't know? Perhaps you can explain your reasoning for the childish name calling?
VE2AMN

Alaska

Post by VE2AMN »

I`ve put on ads here, and as always I mentioned "shipped to N.A."
That meant that I paid shipping anywhere in N.A.
I shipped to Alaska, and it didn`t cost that much more.
A few bucks more won`t kill me, and it makes for another happy ham.
All CONUS means to me is that I am not buying...
Gilles, in the great white north..
AL7F

Post by AL7F »

:D Hi, I am not am angry poster,. I'm just trying to get other hams to realize that there are a lot of hams outside CONUS that have wants and needs also. If you have something for sale for a fixed price in CONUS just say shipping outside CONUS will be extra. I've seen some adds where they say shipped in USPS flat rate box CONUS only. Flat rate boxes ship for the same price to all 50 states and possessions. I'm not trying to make anyone lose money by having to pay out of there pocket to ship something to me. Please just don't eliminate us hams as customers because we don't live in the lower 48. I and several ham friends have shipped lots of neat and desirable surplus radio items to hams that wanted and needed them. I will go out of my way to help another ham and just want to be treated the same. And I only used caps on CONUS this time. Just remember us when the next contest rolls around and you need Alaska or Hawaii.
Mike AL7F
Mike
AL7F

Post by AL7F »

:D And I forgot, a large flat rate box 12'X12"X5 1/2" will hold a IC-7000 that measures 7" X10" X 3". That's what it was shipped to me in from CONUS.
Mike AL7F
Mike
w3qe

Post by w3qe »

AL7F wrote::D Hi, I am not am angry poster,. I'm just trying to get other hams Just remember us when the next contest rolls around and you need Alaska or Hawaii.
Mike AL7F

I hate contests so my ads will always say---48 only. Not my fault you guys want to be different---lol

curt
"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."
K9RLB

Re: Alaska

Post by K9RLB »

VE2AMN wrote:I`ve put on ads here, and as always I mentioned "shipped to N.A."
That meant that I paid shipping anywhere in N.A.
I shipped to Alaska, and it didn`t cost that much more.
A few bucks more won`t kill me, and it makes for another happy ham.
All CONUS means to me is that I am not buying...
Ship something like a heavy amplifier and see how much more it is!
K9RLB

Post by K9RLB »

AL7F wrote::D And I forgot, a large flat rate box 12'X12"X5 1/2" will hold a IC-7000 that measures 7" X10" X 3". That's what it was shipped to me in from CONUS.
Mike AL7F
I use more than 1" packing on sides - but if it worked that's great. I list things, and when I say a shipping to lower 48 States, that MEANS at the quoted price - not that I wouldn't ship elsewhere - just that's the cost I quote because that is where the most likely buyer is. I have never, never, refused a sale to AL, HI, or Canada. I have refused many sales to other countries due to the high level of scammers out there.
K9RLB

Re: shipping from or to Alaska

Post by K9RLB »

NY7Q wrote:I gave up on it years ago because of 99% damaged goods shipped over the years.
Personally, I like "ALL CAPS", its the way real radiomen were trained to to type, and it's difficult to break the habit.....IT IS NOT CONSIDERED RUDE BY REAL RADIOMEN.
All that aside, I agree with AL7F.......and it's his choice to ship from Alaska or not!!!!
I believe he is legit,
I believe you are jumping the gun.
This is not CW - this is a message board. All caps for CW, but not proper for message board, 2 different things. People in Europe drive on the left side of the road, that doesn't make it a good thing everywhere :)
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

I was in the habit of putting CONUS until I had a DUH moment. For whatever reason I ASSumed CONUS included all 50 states :oops:

Now I just put United States Only.

I shipped an FT-100D from Illinois to Churchill, Manitoba and it took a total of 4 1/2 weeks to deliver and the guy gave me a negative because of the delay even though the radio was fine.

Now I sold a Kenwood D710A to a guy in Wasilla Alaska and it fit in a flat rate box and took 4 days, no problems at all.

The biggest pain in the XXXXwas shipping to Puerto Rico. Doesnt cost extra but it has to be "worded" different and even though it has a zip code it also needs an Urbanization.

Just a pia in my opinion.

If I sell and someone from Alaska or Hawaii want to buy, I will send the the packed dimensions and weights in an email and my zip code so they can see the actual cost

I am lazy, I will not ship anywhere else that requires me to do more paperwork than what is needed in the states, sorry
K8YZK

Post by K8YZK »

I understand his feelings. I have shipped to Hawaii and Alaska, and if the buyer is paying for the item, and paying for shipping why the big deal, other then making sure it is well packed.

NY7Q, YES US OLD RADIOMAN (RTTY OPERATOR US ARMY) DID NOT HAVE LOWER/UPPER CASE OPTIONS..

Kurt