Regarding the CONDITION of equipment for sale or trade.

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4ICL

Regarding the CONDITION of equipment for sale or trade.

Post by K4ICL »

The predominant negative feedback issue centers around the difference of the condition of a trading object as seen by the buyer and the seller.

If trading partners are seriously interested in knowing the actual condition of a piece of equipment, the criteria used to grade equipment condition must be agreed to by both parties. Further, such criteria must be based on observable physical characteristics, which, when taken as a whole, lead to a single accepted Condition Grade--one that will be seen as accurate by all parties concerned.

You are invited to look carefully at the Condition grading system provided at: http://swap.qth.com/k4icl-gradescale.htm

Provided is a viable Condition Grading approach that might be helpful.

Respectfully,

K4ICL
Last edited by K4ICL on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
WB6VHK

Post by WB6VHK »

I agree with you 100% !
k5yy

Re: Regarding the CONDITION of equipment for sale or trade.

Post by k5yy »

Excellent for all to reread! I was one of 3 who developed the CCA grading scale the Collins Collectors use now, way back in the mid 1990s. It sure gets guys to within at least one grade of each other. The other end of the trading world has one guy saying mint or excellent when it is actually good at best. Rereading your Condition grading is a MUST for anyone trading ..... get on the same page as best one can! hi
rocketsci2001

I whole heartedly agre with this system

Post by rocketsci2001 »

I have gotten DOA stuff that was supposed to be near mint or mint or good condition.

maybe this will make more people honest.

Sean Ross
KK4CWA
W0DVN

Post by W0DVN »

I recently purchased a Yaesu DMU-2000 from W9VS. This was purchased as "non working". That part of the description was correct! However, this comes standard from the factory with the "scope" board that is supposed to be installed in an FT-2000. This is NOT an accessory and is something a reasonable buyer should expect to be shipped with the DMU-2000. It would seem to have been the ethical thing to do to state in the listing that this critical part was missing. Now all I have is a useless piece of $230 junk that cannot be used even if I spent the time repairing it.

When I reported this to W9VS, he "informed" me that he had been using this with an FT-5000, which does not need this board. This was a meaningless response because the DMU is still supposed to come with the scope board regardless. When I pointed this out, W9VS simply ignored me.

Be very specific about "condition" reports from this buyer. Ask questions because he will not volunteer anything and will not make restitution.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Any statement as to the condition of gear for sale MUST BE taken as an opinion and not as fact until personally verified and "carved in stone".
KK2DOG

Post by KK2DOG »

"Mint" is a condition of a coin/bill. I often wondered how a piece of ham gear can be "Mint" never having even come from a mint.
KW4AR

Post by KW4AR »

Very informative article-Will give me a better sense when attempting to sell or buy. 73s,John (KW4AR)
aa0hd

Post by aa0hd »

For me, the most important thing in dealing with a fellow ham is honesty. Recently, I have a bad deal with a fellow ham W7SAO regarding the condition of the rotor he sold me. He stated in his Ad that the rotor is brand new never been installed apparently when I received the rotor, the rotor showed some wear and tear that indicates the rotor has been installed previously. He will not accept return, so I am now stuck with a used rotor. I will advice everybody to be true and honest to yourself and to any body you are dealing with to preserve your name.

AA0HD
PARLAY

Post by PARLAY »

I have trouble with any description that uses the words "for its age". For example, "The condition of the transceiver is good for its age." What does that mean, exactly?! The statement is not descriptive. It is like hearing the recorded message that "an operator will be with you, shortly". It tells you nothing. I'd respectfully ask that sellers avoid use of the phrase and the managers of this forum include this guidance in their discussion on equipment description. Thanks.
W8TRN

Post by W8TRN »

Over the past 10 years, I have purchased on line about 6 pieces of used equipment. All but one were inoperable. By that I mean, the light(s) came but the units did not function. To be clear, they simply did not function. The latest is a rotator control box that lights up but will not turn the antenna one degree. And the damn thing makes all kinds of racket. A total POS. Yes, I guess I am to blame but all the things I have purchased stated "in working order" or similar. The one piece that may work (read my second sentence), will be set up in a few days. I am finished buying used equipment on line from any site. What I expect to now hear is all kinds of excuses for advertising defective equipment as functional and operational. Sour grapes? Perhaps.

Mike
W8TRN
af5tr

Post by af5tr »

I wish to thank Andrew Mason WA9KPZ for his honourable and honest dealings
The equipment he sold was as advertised , he sent it the next day with tracking number
Thank you Andrew sincerely Peter AF5TR :
usaham

Excellent Seller K4GNX

Post by usaham »

Bought a Yaesu desk mic from K4GNX DANIEL A GAGE it was Boxed Bubble wrapped Perfect Shipped on time and the Yaesu MD100 Is in
perfect condition works fine . If you see K4GNX selling and you want what he has Buy it
Barry KD0USA 10 / 19 / 2020
usaham

Re:KT7C KEN EXCELLENT SELLER

Post by usaham »

I Also Bought from KEN KT7C excellent seller shipped on time packaged as should be item is exactly as he described
if you see him selling on ham sites and you want what he advertised BUY IT
Posted by KD0USA 10 / 19 / 20
robert47

Post by robert47 »

As with any used product condition is in the eyes and honesty of the seller.
Caveat Emptor [Let the buyer beware.]
n8rt

Post by n8rt »

AN EXCELLENT ham trader is NZ8J TIM COOK. TIM PROVIDES TIMELY COMMUNICATIONS, AND DESCRIBES HIS EQUIPMENT PERFECTLY.
HE WILL GO OUT OF HIS WAY TO SATISFY A BUYER.
THANK YOU TIM FOR AN EXCELENT TRANSACTION.
N8RT ROB
AB4D

Post by AB4D »

I agree with you. I recently purchased two amplifiers through QTH.com. The sellers graciously offered to ship the amps to me for check out so I could ensure they worked. He was familiar with me and the group I frequent on 75 meters through his monitoring. All that went perfect. My only gripe is one of the amps (AL-80b) was advertised as only being about three years old. However, only after I opened the case for cleaning the fan and the tube, did I discovered it's a 14 year old amp. I would have never paid the agreed upon price if I knew it was that old.

I asked him about the age discrepancy, and if he had more than one AL-80b. Perhaps he shipped me the wrong unit by mistake. The response was yes "seller has two amps." However, there was no offer to make it right or anything else after I alerted them to the discrepancy. They had spare tubes as well, and asked after the fact if I wanted to purchase them. I would have sent a spare tube as a goodwill gesture, but that's just me.

A deal is a deal so I held up my end and paid him the agreed upon price. However, it seems lately, every time I do a deal with another ham through QTH. It's always some sort of issue, always something that is not factual or consistent with the item. Now it seems we can't trust anyone, and what they say is not always factual. Definitely, my definition of "mint condition" seems so much different than a lot of these sellers.

Jim AB4D