Watch Out for some one posing as VE7NH, Neil

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4TEC

Watch Out for some one posing as VE7NH, Neil

Post by K4TEC »

Now this is a clever one, a much more convincing scam than most

Neil Nutbrown <ve7nh35>

Responded to a wanted listing I have running, wanted me to send over $4500 to PayPal,, and spotted the PayPal address is in Germany.

Now the way he communicated was far more professional than the usual run of the mill scammers, I had to study this one for a while.

So beware of this crook posing as VE7NH, be alert !
KA2CDT

Scam bag!!!

Post by KA2CDT »

He just hit me up too!! :x

The response is from:

Name: Neil Nutbrown
Callsign: VE7NH
E-mail: ve7nh35@yahoo.com

The response is:

Neil from Canada.Are you still interested?
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Thanks for your email...my paypal email is olafberendt@web.de and as soon as payment is sent,Let me know and i will package and i will ship and i will forward you the shipping tracking details thanks and hope to hear from you soon

Umm I dont think so, combine that with some one trying to buy a 7600 I have here using a stolen credit card from a top NY lawyer, it has been a heck of a day.

Just got to stay alert
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

I just received this email this morning

Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:25 AM
To: K4TEC
Subject: Re: QTH.COM Ad -- WTB Yaesu FT-950 and VL-1...

Good Morning,

I email you twice yesterday,But did not receive responds..Just want to know if you got my paypal email...OK..Let me know if you are still interested thanks and get back to me urgently"
My response "Just received this email this morning
"Checked your ip address
Checked PayPal and I don’t believe you are who your claiming
In fact I will be calling the Neil in Canada shortly
"
I Just had his PayPal account closed via my account manager so thats one thing the crook cannot use.
ve7or

Very uncool

Post by ve7or »

I do talk to the real VE7NH in Vancouver every day in qso on 2 metres it can be assured that someone is using his info as fraud.
It makes me wonder what this world is the real VE7NH is a honest and well respected ham in my community. And to whoever is doing this YOU WILL BE CAUGHT.....