BEWARE: KB9UMI is a thief.

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
k1crt

BEWARE: KB9UMI is a thief.

Post by k1crt »

:cry: Hello Folks,

I am very unhappy to report that, despite several months of sending email requests to Mr. Mark C. Cassatt and several attempts to contact him via telephone, he has elected to keep the $675 that I sent him via paypal and not send the Dentron MLA-2500 amplifier I thought I purchased.

This action suggests to me that the gentleman cannot be trusted to complete a sales transaction. YMMV, but I thought I'd let everyone know.

Best Regards,
Chris DeAngelis / K1CRT
kk4aq

payment

Post by kk4aq »

have you not checked with paypal about haveing your money refunded?
k1crt

Help from paypal...

Post by k1crt »

Yeah, no luck.

Their official reason was that my dispute request entered their system after the required 45-day "we'll help you resolve disputes" waiting period. Awesome.

Thanks for the advice, though.
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Chris:

Do you fund PayPal through your credit card? If you do, yo may still have time to assert a "billing error" or "unauthorized transaction" complaint with your card issuer.

Contact his local police department and ask them to pay this character a visit.

Investigate the procedures for filing a claim in your local Small Claims court.

DON'T GET MAD! GET EVEN!

N9LCD

:twisted:
k1crt

seeking restitution

Post by k1crt »

I do plan to contact my credit card company. I don't really want them to foot the bill for an individual's fraudulent actions, especially since I entered into this agreement voluntarily; I do, however, want to know if they can "shake him up" and/or investigate his actions and make appropriate comments on his "credit report"...

I do also intend to pursue a legal remedy. At this point, I am less interested in the money than the violation of trust between hams.

Thanks very much for your input.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Chris this guy has no intentions of completing the deal. Your credit card company is not a debt enforcer so if you expect them to shake him up your mistaken. I do believe and can be corrected if wrong but i thought credit card complaints must be done within 90 days of the transaction. You need to do what another has suggested and file a complaint with the police in the city where he lives. I'm just puzzled as to why you waited this long as 30 days was more time than he needed to fulfill his end of the bargain. Good luck and do not be afraid to be tough.
Larry Huff K0pd
k1crt

Post by k1crt »

I waited as long as I did because his initial email responses were apologetic and implied that he was actively engaged in responding to financial hardship. Heck, who isn't these days...

I realized after I submitted my last thread reply that "shake up" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to convey was that I would be (somewhat surprised but also) appreciative if the credit card company had a process to issue a "strongly-worded" letter which might motivate him to fulfill his promise (yeah, I know it's wishful thinking).

Any way, I suppose I will have to contact his local police department and file a complaint. What a hassle. Can't we all just get along? ;)
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

k1crt wrote:I waited as long as I did because his initial email responses were apologetic and implied that he was actively engaged in responding to financial hardship. Heck, who isn't these days...

I realized after I submitted my last thread reply that "shake up" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to convey was that I would be (somewhat surprised but also) appreciative if the credit card company had a process to issue a "strongly-worded" letter which might motivate him to fulfill his promise (yeah, I know it's wishful thinking).

Any way, I suppose I will have to contact his local police department and file a complaint. What a hassle. Can't we all just get along? ;)
Talk to someone at your credit card company and open a dispute. They may or may not ask at that time for copies of your emails, so have them ready in case. (Besides, that's all you have to show that it's not just your word against his)

They will make contact to find out "the other side" as part of their investigation.

I've gone through this on vendor disputes in the past. More often than not, the credit card issuer will side with you, IF you have a legitimate beef (which you appear to have, in this case). But the longer you wait, the harder it is. Do it today if at all possible.
KA2CDT

Post by KA2CDT »

Chris...I am partial to your complaint. You may be a distant relative going way back to the "old country" (Brooklyn). On a serious note. Do you have the actual ad from which you purchased the amplifier? I think if you do have it that will only strengthen your case especially if your credit card company gets involved. File a dispute,you have nothing else to loose at this point. A paper trail is very important from the beginning of this transaction to the point where you are today.

Good luck!
Oldschool-Hams Helping Hams
Ronald G. DeAngelis KA2CDT
Marco Island,Florida 34145
25.95°N 81.72°W
www.KA2CDT.com
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Chris one more thought on your problem. You say it is not about the money but the trust factor between Hams. I and every one on here can agree with your thought but apparently the only thing the thief will re-act to is money. So getting your money back from him is all that will effect his actions. Of course a arrest would not hurt. Others have given you very good advise an i hope for the best outcome in your case.
Larry Huff K0pd
k9vt

KB9UMI

Post by k9vt »

Just a thought. Kb9umi is normally the saturday morning net control of southcars(7.251) at 8AM EST. Why not just stop by sometime.. Ken
k1crt

Post by k1crt »

Thanks very much Ken for the tip. This is very helpful.

Chris