Beware KD8OMT-Matthew Gregg

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
ww4cc

Beware KD8OMT-Matthew Gregg

Post by ww4cc »

I purchased a used Yaesu FT-7900 from KD8OMT, Matthew Gregg and upon receipt, I found it had a defective volume control knob, in that the volume was wide open and could not be turned down. I contacted him about it. He immediately denied all knowledge of the problem and accused me of damaging the radio. When I asked what he suggested we do, he said I bought it, it was mine, and he refused to even discuss a refund or any kind of assistance in getting it repaired. I have to assume Matthew Gregg knew of the problem before he sent the radio, as it was packed too well to be damaged in shipment. Be cautious when considering any purchase from KD8OMT, Matthew Gregg.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

I sold a dual band to a Ham on the east coast once, and when i last used it the radio worked perfect. When he received it he was unable to get it to work properly. He requested permission to look in the radio to see if something maybe worked loose in shipment. I gave him permission and he found nothing he could see and i refunded his money and he returned the radio.

I'm only telling this because if the radio was sold to you as working properly then some kind of agreement ought to be able to be worked out to satisfy you both. I have no idea if you may have used a accusatory tone in your talk with the seller and angered him or not. But hopefully he would at least be willing to pay for the repair needed or at the worst split the cost with you..
Larry Huff K0pd
RFC558

Post by RFC558 »

was that the one on QRZ? Hope all goes well, I was even considering buying that.

You should post the feedback on QRZ
ww4cc

Post by ww4cc »

k0pd wrote:I sold a dual band to a Ham on the east coast once, and when i last used it the radio worked perfect. When he received it he was unable to get it to work properly. He requested permission to look in the radio to see if something maybe worked loose in shipment. I gave him permission and he found nothing he could see and i refunded his money and he returned the radio.

I'm only telling this because if the radio was sold to you as working properly then some kind of agreement ought to be able to be worked out to satisfy you both. I have no idea if you may have used a accusatory tone in your talk with the seller and angered him or not. But hopefully he would at least be willing to pay for the repair needed or at the worst split the cost with you..
I, like you , would have thought that he would be willing to at least consider the possibility of a problem, but he was not. I called Yaesu and explained my problem to them and they knew exactly what was wrong. It seems that, when mounted rigidly in a vehicle, some of these radios are prone to suffering cracks or breaks in the traces on the control head circuit board. I asked them if it could have happened in shipment and they told me "not likely". I was told it was a quick fix but I would have to send the radio in for repair. I explained all of this to Mr. Gregg, but he flatly refused to help in any way " to repair a radio that I broke or offer a refund on a radio I had damaged". I'm still trying to figure out how I broke it when all I did was take it out of the box, plug it up to a power supply and coax, and turn it on. When I did that, the volume was wide open and I could not turn it down.

So, I guess I'll send it in to have it repaired, unless I want to operate a broken radio, or sell it to someone else and take a loss; Either that or throw it away and write off what I paid for it. Mr. Gregg seems to think he got a good deal, in that, he got rid of a broken radio, and has washed his hands of it and laughed all the way to the bank, seemingly at my expense. On further reflection, I do think I asked him why he wanted to sell it, but I don't recall receiving a reply......

CAVEAT EMPTOR, I suppose. (I won't get fooled again!)
K9XR

QRZ THREAD

Post by K9XR »

FWIW, There is a thread on QRZ.COM about this deal.
ww4cc

Post by ww4cc »

Yes, there is a thread on QRZ about this deal. Now, Mr. Gregg says he was going to try to work with me to file an insurance claim on the radio, but I was rude, so to punish me, he refuses to even discuss the subject. I wasn't rude. I merely asked him why he would sell a used radio to someone with so obvious an issue as a defective volume control. I don't understand how that was rude. I sent him my phone number by e-mail and requested his so we could work this thing out, but, so far, no reply. Besides, there was no damage to the shipping box the radio came in, well packed in bubble wrap, I might add. If there is no visible physical damage to a package, insurance will not even consider a claim. Besides, attempting to file a claim for insurance with no physical damage visible to a package strikes me as dishonest, especially as well packed as the radio was. I'm not sure I would want to take part in something like that. I would not be able to prove that it was damaged in shipment with no physical damage to the package.
ww4cc

Post by ww4cc »

Yesterday I sent Matthew Gregg two e-mails and one PM to give him my phone number or to get his phone number to attempt to work this out. So far he has refused to even open my PM to him (I requested a receipt for my PM when he opened it and I have not received it or a reply). I'm sorry, but I have to assume that he is not interested in resolving this issue as he said he was, else he would have at least replied to my inquiries. Form your own opinion. Maybe this was a one time deal, and Mr. Gregg really is a legitimate seller, and for whatever reason it just turned out bad. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he refuses to even talk to me now.

To Mr. Matthew Gregg: You have my deepest apologies, Sir. If asking you why I received a broken radio has angered you so deeply you refuse to even discuss a solution, then I am terribly sorry. I don't know what else I could possibly do to make it right, but I have sincerely tried. You have my number. Feel free to call me at any time and I will be glad to discuss it with you.

*NOTE* As of this morning, Mr. Gregg has not responded to any of my requests.
WW4CC
Carl Chaffin
WW4CC
N9LCD

Post by N9LCD »

Carl:

A carrier MAY consider a damage claim EVEN IF the packing doesn't show any signs of damage.

I sold an AvComm signal display unit & shipped it FedEx. The unit was shipped in the same carton that the manufacturer used to ship it. My buyer accepted the shipment because the outer carton didn't show any damage.

Well, the SDU didn't work. The trace was all bunched-up on one end. Nope, the CRT wasn't broken. A lead on TO-5 regulator was broken. There was just the "right" shock in the "right" place to cause the lead to crack.

AvComm fixed the unit; FedEx paid about $325 in damages & refunded the original shipping charge.

Prompt action, detailed documentation and COOPERATION paid-off!

N9LCD