New Scam Alert on the call WB8TEJ

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K8YZK

New Scam Alert on the call WB8TEJ

Post by K8YZK »

Received a Email from the wife of a good friend and ham who passed away in July. Email states that she is in London got mugged, and the Embassy will not help her and the kids(all kids are grown up) get back to the States. Is it possible yes, so I asked a few question, like where in the states is she from and a reply was the correct city(information available off the social security data base), I asked for street address and the reply was why all this, I am freaking out.

So if you knew Jerry WB8TEJ or had dealings with him, looks like his computer got hacked and emails are going out to all from the scammers.

Be careful and of course watch out for, please send the money thru Western Union.

Kurt
K8YZK
K8YZK

Emails from scammers..

Post by K8YZK »

Kurt,

Why all this?. I'm freaked out at the moment. Please help if you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Joyce Goormastic <joyce_goormastic>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: Bad Trip...Joyce Goormastic

What the address in DH? Sounds like a scam right now.

To: Kurt Tuttle <k8yzk>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:56 PM

Dearborn Heights, Michigan.....Need your help Kurt

To: "joyce_goormastic@yahoo.com" <joyce_goormastic>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:49 PM

whats your address back in the states joyce?

To: joycegoormastic@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:39 PM
Subject: Bad Trip...Joyce Goormastic

Hello,
How are you doing? am sorry i didn't inform you of our vacation trip. I and my children came over to England(UK) for a short vacation since my husband Jerry died 7/25/11. Unfortunately,we were mugged at the park of the hotel where we stayed,all cash, cell phones and credit card were stolen off us but luckily for us we still have our passports with us.

We've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and our flight leaves tomorrow but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Please I really need your financial assistance. Please, Let me know if you can help us out?. i will be waiting to hear from you.
Joyce.
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

E mail the Embassy in England as they should have verification of her problem if for real. My friend did this over a person who claimed they were in Holland and named a Church they claimed that was taking care of them. And even had the supposed Priest e mail him with the same story. Turned out all was a scam and was coming from you guessed it Nigeria.
Larry Huff K0pd
kk4aq

another idea

Post by kk4aq »

call the local police dept where they live and have them do a welfare check at the residence and they may be at home. or try calling them at home if you have or can get the phone number. just an idea