Scam Warning WA44A

Share information regarding your recently completed deals with other ham operators. ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with the transaction can post in this forum. If you have a report of a scam by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead.
Forum rules
As of Dec 9, 2013: ONLY BUYERS AND SELLERS directly involved with a transaction can post here. Do not post replies in any topic if you are not the buyer or seller in the transaction being discussed! If you believe you can help the buyer or seller, please use the Private Message system to communicate with them. NOTE: if you have been scammed by someone pretending to be a ham, please post in the Scammer Reports forum instead. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136 for additional rules.
K4TEC

Scam Warning WA44A

Post by K4TEC »

I had a response to each of my listings this morning from WA44A.
It was the same email and when I responded to jus one of them I got this response back to each of them, THIS IS A SCAM, BEWARE.

Thanks very much for your response. I would be buying item you have
for sale so kindly reserve it for me. I am sending you this email to make final reconfirmation of the item and I also want to let you know that payment will be by certified Check or Money Order. However, I want to alert you on the fact that you will be
receiving the Check or Money Order this week or next week and payment
will cover your cost and as well as the shipping cost to be paid to
the person that will take care of the pickup in your house. So please
as soon as you receive the payment, get it cashed immediately, deduct
the money that accrues to you and send the remaining balance to the
Head Office of the company that handles the shipment via Western
union. More so, I will pay you an extra $50 if you can reserve this
for me. So in view of the above, Here are some of the details I will
need for final issuance of the Check or Money Order to you
(1) Full Name
(2) Mailing address, no p.o.box please
(3) your direct telephone number both home and cell.?
{4} Acceptance of my offer

all the above information, the check or money order will be issued out immediately and it will be sent to
you.

jude

wa44a
W4LTD

Post by W4LTD »

The search for "wa44a" produced no results.

At least they're not hijacking someone's call sign for a change. :)
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Thats true
Had a bunch from England contact me 2 or 3 weeks ago but the deals offered were way too attractive to be real.
This current one is an odd one.
Had my call hijacked a few months ago but Scott caught it here and Fred on QRZ so was lucky.
73s
W3WN

Post by W3WN »

W4LTD wrote:The search for "wa44a" produced no results.
<snip>
Well, of course not. No valid FCC issued US callsign in the Amateur Radio Service would have two consecutive numbers in it.
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

you know that and so do I but there are other poor unsuspecting people who may not pick up on it so heed warning.

I only had 5 emails from this person this morning. none of them made particular sense
lhk0pd

Post by lhk0pd »

Your right a lot of folks might have done like i almost did when i saw the call being used i thought it must be a typo but after reading there message or reply it was very obviously SCAM.
Larry Huff K0pd
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

Well this Scam didnt get me but the one by N9HPS has got me for $600 but the police are doing what they are paid to do re him.
Have a good weekend there.
K9XR

N9HPC

Post by K9XR »

Martyn,

I think you mean N9HPC, don't you?

K4TEC wrote:Well this Scam didnt get me but the one by N9HPS has got me for $600 but the police are doing what they are paid to do re him.
Have a good weekend there.
K4TEC

Post by K4TEC »

yes that one hihi

Sorry to N9HPS for the mistake.

73s